Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for experiences of other high mileage Gen 2 original CVT owners. I'm original owner of '09 SL AWD, 203K miles, original tranny and never changed CVT fluid.....interested in experiences of other high mileage owners. I've done good maintenance (other than CVT fluid) and have had very little problems with it. Love the car and hope it goes forever but feel like I am WAY over borrowed time on the CVT.

·
Registered
699 Posts
If done right, and you've been easy on the CVT for it's life, you should not have any problems. DO NOT allow anyone to do a power flush. On a CVT with this many miles, this is a sure way to CVT failure shortly down the road.

If you're mechanically inclined, you should take the time to change it yourself, if possible. Basically, drain, drop and clean the CVT oil pan, replace the filter, reinstall the oil pan and add CVT NS2 fluid, about 4 quarts.

Using the CVT return cooling line diverted into an old oil jug, you can have the engine, at idle, pump the old CVT fluid out while adding new CVT fluid into the dip-stick tube until new CVT fluid starts to come out of the tube going into the old oil jug, about 5 or 6 quarts. Flow rate into the jug is about a quart every 5 to 6 seconds

Reattach the CVT return line. Top off the CVT fluid while the engine is running and warmed up. Also shift slowly thru all gears before checking CVT level.

To finish off, have the CVT deterioration level reset. You could purchase CVTz50 and a WIFI OBD dongle (Less then $30.00.) to do the job or have a Nissan dealer reset it for you (About $120.00.). Some transmission shops might also be able to do it.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I changed my CVT fluid at 200k doing the drain and refill method vs the flush or the method mention in the 2nd post. I saved some bucks and used non NS2 synthetic CVT fluid. I put 58k miles more miles on it until it failed. I'm not sure if it was the non Nissan fluid or just the miles. I i wish I had used the NS2 fluid or just not changed it at all.

I choose to get the cvt replaced by the dealer and keep the car because it still runs great and is very comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a 2009 S AWD Murano and drained then refilled the CVT fluid with "compatible" non-NS2 fluid at 90k miles and 150k miles.There didn't seem to be any issues directly related to the transmission at anytime, however I learned that the transmission had overheating issues near the 125k mile mark. After a couple hours on the freeway during summertime it went into some form of protection/limp mode where the RPM wouldn't exceed 2000 and there were definite whining sounds. No shop could replicate the issue and after it cooled off overnight the symptoms went away. At the 150k mile CVT fluid drain I also dropped the pan to clean it out, replaced the inside CVT pan filter, reinstalled pan with new gasket and attempted to flush/force out the old fluid as described above. However, I did not refill the CVT fluid as it was discharging from the return line. Just pumped out around 5 qts of CVT fluid, reconnected the hose then topped off with official NS2 CVT fluid. Something went seriously wrong and the transmission failed miserably. Probably due to not filling with new CVT fluid as old fluid was being pumped out. Paid $4k for the dealer to put in a reman transmission, and it ran well although seemed to slip a bit during acceleration at low speeds. Ended up selling the Murano for $5,500 shortly afterwards. Had other charging system issues too, so I had enough. Got 9 years and 157k miles out of it. Loved the Murano, but looking back I would have simply used the NS2 fluid from the start, and just drain/refill at recommended intervals. Just my opinion. Hope this story helps in some way.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I had a 2009 S AWD Murano and drained then refilled the CVT fluid with "compatible" non-NS2 fluid at 90k miles and 150k miles.There didn't seem to be any issues directly related to the transmission at anytime, however I learned that the transmission had overheating issues near the 125k mile mark. After a couple hours on the freeway during summertime it went into some form of protection/limp mode where the RPM wouldn't exceed 2000 and there were definite whining sounds. No shop could replicate the issue and after it cooled off overnight the symptoms went away. At the 150k mile CVT fluid drain I also dropped the pan to clean it out, replaced the inside CVT pan filter, reinstalled pan with new gasket and attempted to flush/force out the old fluid as described above. However, I did not refill the CVT fluid as it was discharging from the return line. Just pumped out around 5 qts of CVT fluid, reconnected the hose then topped off with official NS2 CVT fluid. Something went seriously wrong and the transmission failed miserably. Probably due to not filling with new CVT fluid as old fluid was being pumped out. Paid $4k for the dealer to put in a reman transmission, and it ran well although seemed to slip a bit during acceleration at low speeds. Ended up selling the Murano for $5,500 shortly afterwards. Had other charging system issues too, so I had enough. Got 9 years and 157k miles out of it. Loved the Murano, but looking back I would have simply used the NS2 fluid from the start, and just drain/refill at recommended intervals. Just my opinion. Hope this story helps in some way.
Very important that you don't get air into the CVT. Never seems to recover properly, even after leveling up the fluid properly. I also strongly recommend sticking to the Nissan recommended NS2/3 CVT fluid only.

I should have noted that when doing the CVT flush you should have about 6 - 7 bottles of NS2/3 CVT fluid open and ready to start pouring as soon as the engine is started. I usually have someone monitor the output while I pour CVT fluid in, using the remote start to start and stop the engine.

Have a good day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts