Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone!

I know this has been addressed here before but couldn’t find an answer upon searching the forums.

I have a 2016 and want to put a hitch on it for a bike rack and maybe a basket. I checked etrailers.com and much prefer the look of the Curt over the DrawTite. Both hitches get good reviews. The Curt states that stabilizing straps should be used. Not sure if that is a necessity or just for legal liability. I don’t want to (no, I refuse to) use stabilizing straps and wondered if anyone out there is using the Curt hitch without them with a bike rack. I know the tongue weight is greater on the DrawTite but doubt I will ever have more than 100-200 lbs max on the hitch.

So....which hitch to get ....or ...do you guys know of another one that will work without stabilizing staps AND is aesthetically appealing?

Info on a sturdy reasonably priced bike rack would be appreciated as well.

Please post pics too if you got em!

Thanks!

·
Registered
725 Posts
What’s wrong with the Drawtite? Same price and it is perfect fit. I literally just made this decision a month ago and saw no reason to consider the curt given the limitations.

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,286 Posts
So....which hitch to get ....or ...do you guys know of another one that will work without stabilizing staps AND is aesthetically appealing?
Have you looked at the OEM hitch? Hitches for the Gen3 Murano don't get more aesthetically pleasing than this! I never wanted a hitch on any of my cars, but the need for a nice bike rack changed that. I hardly notice the factory one as it's tucked nicely under and behind. Here's a pic from a previous Gen3 Murano hitch thread on this forum. Photo credit to "6shiftin".:)

Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What’s wrong with the Drawtite? Same price and it is perfect fit. I literally just made this decision a month ago and saw no reason to consider the curt given the limitations.
The DrawTite has a different angle to it than the Curt and doesn’t blend in as well. My personal preference on the look. You can see both installed in photos and videos on etrailers.com. Hands down on the DrawTite for tongue weight though.

Thanks,

Donna

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you looked at the OEM hitch? Hitches for the Gen3 Murano don't get more aesthetically pleasing than this! I never wanted a hitch on any of my cars, but the need for a nice bike rack changed that. I hardly notice the factory one as it's tucked nicely under and behind. Here's a pic from a previous Gen3 Murano hitch thread on this forum. Photo credit to "6shiftin".:)

Hope this helps and take care!

Jim
I love the OEM but the dealer wants $995 for the hitch and installation and that doesn’t include wiring! Looking for a cheaper alternative that looks good. Not sure my husband could install the OEM.....haven’t asked how difficult installation is but I know he could the DrawTite or the Curt.

Thanks,

Donna

·
Registered
725 Posts
The DrawTite has a different angle to it than the Curt and doesn’t blend in as well. My personal preference on the look. You can see both installed in photos and videos on etrailers.com. Hands down on the DrawTite for tongue weight though.

Thanks,

Donna
I know... I bought it from etrailer and thought the same thing when shopping and looking at their pics. In actual use, it really is not that noticeable, I have no regrets. I originally thought about OEMhitch for the integrated look, but the cost, smaller 1.25 receiver and lower tongue weight changed my mind. The good news is you can remove the hitch real easy at any time. I would just get the one you like and be happy :)

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,286 Posts
Whoa! that's quite steep. I had no idea it was that expensive!

My dealer wanted me to take delivery of a new car with the included "cargo package" (cover, mat and netting). Told him I didn't want it, but would happily trade it for the factory hitch to close the deal. Next day they tried to push me into accepting an aftermarket hitch, but I had made sure OEM hitch was written on the contract. Then they said the OEM hitch was backordered and I could have the aftermarket installed right away. Said I would be more than happy to wait for the OEM to come in and then take delivery of my car. Miraculously, they found one in stock and had it installed the same day. Hitch wiring was not part of the agreement, but the installer mistakenly installed that too. I was more than happy and now it seem I got a heck of a deal too.

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mattski,

Thanks for the info. Good to hear from someone that has one. Would love to see any pics you may have if you have the opportunity to post.

Thanks,

Donna

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoa! that's quite steep. I had no idea it was that expensive!

My dealer wanted me to take delivery of a new car with the included "cargo package" (cover, mat and netting). Told him I didn't want it, but would happily trade it for the factory hitch to close the deal. Next day they tried to push me into accepting an aftermarket hitch, but I had made sure OEM hitch was written on the contract. Then they said the OEM hitch was backordered and I could have the aftermarket installed right away. Said I would be more than happy to wait for the OEM to come in and then take delivery of my car. Miraculously, they found one in stock and had it installed the same day. Hitch wiring was not part of the agreement, but the installer mistakenly installed that too. I was more than happy and now it seem I got a heck of a deal too.

Jim
Whoa!! Yes you did get a deal. I have a good relationship with the service department at the dealer since I have been using them for 20+ years so I think I am going to see what the hitch alone costs and how difficult installation is. Don’t mind paying a little more for the hitch if my husband can install it. Otherwise I think it’s gonna have to be the Curt or the DrawTite.

Donna

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,286 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Mattski,

Thanks for the info. Good to hear from someone that has one. Would love to see any pics you may have if you have the opportunity to post.

Thanks,

Donna
Here are a couple pics..obviously more noticeable in daylight, but unless you LOOK for it, pretty well tucked in.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I will echo the oem hitch is the best for the MO. My 04 has it - 2 inch. If you can find a used or cheap one on ebay, you can install it yourself - fairly easy. However, if oem is less than 2 inch now, then its your call.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought my 2-inch hitch from U-Haul for less than $300 installation included. Used it twice a week last summer with two bikes in the carrier and never had any issues. See the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

Just got a new Murano and I'm wondering if anyone who has installed a hitch has the motion-activated lift gate? Nissan claims that in order to add a hitch to a Murano with this feature, it requires them to swap out the ECU. I assume that would be an additional cost both for the new unit and the labor, and I'm guessing that it simply disables the motion-activated feature. However, there is a Q/A on e-trailers website that says the MALG will work fine with their hitch, you just have to wave your foot a bit to the side. So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these options. Thanks!

·
Registered
725 Posts
I saw that on etrailers as well. I bought my hitch from them and love the hitch, but MALG does not work anymore because sensor is obstructed. No big deal for me and the sensor will work fine if I ever remove the hitch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is a trailer type hitch the only type that works on the Murano? It seems to be the way everyone is going.

I have a Saris bike rack that I used on an Xterra that is the type where the straps fastened over the hatch top and bottom and it rested against the back window.

Will that type of bike carrier work on the Murano? I always wondered if the straps over the top would damage the spoiler when the carrier was loaded with the weight of the bikes. I realize with that type of carrier that it blocks access to the hatch area.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The spoiler is plastic - I would not risk it. The trailer hitch mount racks are much more stable, can be locked and some offer swing away access to the hatch.

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,286 Posts
The spoiler is plastic - I would not risk it.
And so is the rear hatch! Double no-no! Hitch mount is the way to go with a Murano.

Take care!

Jim

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
11 Participants
GateKeper
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing