Nissan Murano Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
DO NOT use anything but the factory trailer hitch wiring harness when you install a hitch. You can order it from Courtesy parts and you'll be happy you did.
Gotta 2nd this, and I've never used the OEM piece in any of my tow vehicles before the Murano. There's a serious design flaw in the Curt harness that causes your trailer running lights to only work about 1/2 the time. I went through 2 of them before I got my voltmeter out and realized they weren't even monitoring the right output on the factory harness. Emails about what I found went to Curt and were ignored. Put the OEM Nissan part in years ago and it has worked flawlessly since.

If you live in salt country I would suggest making a little change to the OEM wire routing suggestion though and just route the 4 wire plug into the trunk. When not in use keep it in the spare tire well and when you want to use it just pull it out and shut it in the door, taking care that the wire avoids the latch. This way you don't end up with a rusted and useless plug after your first couple winters. I added a 2 foot extension to mine in case repeatedly shutting it in the door eventually breaks a wire. If it does I'll just unplug it and plug in a new 2 foot extension. 3+ years and it hasn't failed yet though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have installed a Reese hitch and wiring harness from etrailer.com on my 06 and everything is good, no problem with wiring or anything, install is easy enough to do without help but 2 extra hands will be a plus, I'll post a pic later... Don't know how post pics from my phone jeje

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I think the issue happens when you plug that etrailer harness wiring onto the trailer you are pulling. The trailer lights may only work half the time. Some com problem between the aftermarket harness and the MOs electrical system.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I just had a Curt hitch installed today and it's quite visible with the round horizontal tube hanging below the bumper. My shop where I had 3 other hitches installed before no longer sells Hidden Hitch due to premature rusting.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I checked on the U-Haul site to see how much a trailer hitch would cost for our new 2015 Murano and was told that U-Haul doesn't have one yet, but would make me one for free, including installation. All I have to do was to deliver my car to their research and development facility in Tempe Arizona and leave it with them for three days!

I guess this is how they develop trailer hitches for new cars. They wait until someone is willing to lend them a car for a few days, then figure out how to manufacture the hitch, and then late make it available to their dealers.

This is not practical for me as I am in Canada, but for anyone who has a 2015 Murano in the Tempe area, this sounds like a good deal.

·
Super Moderator
7,719 Posts
This is not practical for me as I am in Canada, but for anyone who has a 2015 Murano in the Tempe area, this sounds like a good deal.
Makes perfect sense to me, and it would indeed be a good deal!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to let others know, if you get a hitch from Uhaul to mount a bike rack, there is a warning:

"... WARNING: ALL NON-TRAILER LOADS APPLIED TO THIS PRODUCT MUST BE SUPPORTED BY 18050 STABILIZING STRAPS."

Since Uhaul's is re-branded Curt, you can get the strap at etrail. But... the strip is designed for sedans, not for SUV and does not fit well with Murano (2015-16) either.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Just installed my DrawTite hitch from etrailer - love it!

Super easy install - done in 15 minutes. Forgot who suggested it, but using a paint can to hold up other end of the hitch when bolting on was perfect. Makes sure you feed in the passenger side first to work around exhaust hanger.

Going to use this primarily for 4 bike Yakima rack, so the fact that the DrawTite had 600lb tongue weight capacity and does NOT require stabilizer straps was a huge plus IMHO.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts