Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of the regulars here may recall that I have tried time and again to get the HomeLink in my '03 MO to work with my garage door opener.

Thought I would give it another try today. I called the door and opener manufacturer and got hold of a customer service guy who found record of my previous calls to support ("from a couple of years back"). Within five minutes, he asked me for the MOD number (manufactured-on date) on the bottom of the opener and simply said he would send me controller boards, remotes, remote lights, and manuals for both openers.

They will ship Monday. No waiting for "an engineer will call to make arrangements" as with my earlier calls.

Yes!

He even said that if I have any problems taking the drives apart and swapping out the controller boards to give them a call and they would walk me through it over the phone.

Cusomer SERVICE!!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
UncaDanno-

That's what I like hear!! :29:

Customer Service the way it should be!!

They deserve an attaboy!! :claphead: :claphead: :claphead:

-njjoe

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BINGO!!!

Received the new controller boards, remotes, and lights on Thursday.

Swapped out the controller boards (an adventure) and lights, reprogrammed the remotes and recalibrated the openers.

Then programmed the HomeLink.

And it works. For both doors.

Piece o' cake. With the right equipment.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wayne Dalton iDrive.
Pretty nice. Mounts on the wall above the door. The doors don't have exposed springs. Opening and closing are pretty quiet. And you don't have the motor and drive mechanism hanging in the way over your ride when the door is closed.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
UncaDanno said:
Wayne Dalton iDrive.
Pretty nice. Mounts on the wall above the door. The doors don't have exposed springs. Opening and closing are pretty quiet. And you don't have the motor and drive mechanism hanging in the way over your ride when the door is closed.
That's the brand I thought you had said earlier. I think that's the opener I need, I have a heating duct blocking my one garage door where a regular opener would go. As far as I can tell, Wayne Dalton is the only manufacturer of these for home use.

Couple of Q's if you don't mind.....

Does your door have to be tortion spring type only? My door has the side springs.

Also, what kind of clearance is needed between the top of the door and the ceiling?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only way the iDrive will work is with a TorqueMaster door. The spring tube of the door has a teardrop cross-section so the tube is kind of like a cam that runs the width of the door. The iDrive has a teardrop-shaped hole through the center of it.
Simply put, mounting the drive consists of unloading the spring, taking one end of the spring tube loose, sliding the drive over the tube and anchoring it to the wall, and putting everything back.

I think I saw somewhere a that there is a conversion kit available for side-spring doors, but I imagine the results would be less than desirable since you have to make sure the lift on the sides of the door are balanced and you need to adjust the springs carefully. If the door's "too heavy", you'll burn out the motor sooner. If the door's just a tad "too light" (mine was once), the locking mechanism on the opener gives the door a loud whack as it closes. I imagine this could also damage the drive.

As far as clearance, the rule of thumb is the top of the drive is about a foot above the top of the door. The same is true for the ToqueMaster doors. The spring tube has to be a couple of inches higher than the top of the door track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts