Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any thoughts on using the Homelink buttons to turn a
Home Security Alarm System (such as ADT) on and off?

I have and ADT system with a wireless numeric keypad which is not directly compatible with Homelink.

However, I think Radio Shack might have an X10 to Homelink inferface,
but these devices simply turn house AC lights on/off.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
129 Posts
Probably not a great idea to use this to turn on your security as you would have no way of knowing if you hit a trouble code on activation. Open window etc which would stop it from arming as you drive away with a window open and the alarm off.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've got quite the setup at my place and use Homeseer and x10 products to control the entire house. There would be some drawbacks to going with your route, such as confirmation of activation. Personally I added a x-10 compatible module to the alarm system which allows me not only to arm and disarm the system via line or land phone but also alows me to turn on/off lights and check status of anything I may have attached to the x-10 system such as temperature. This is probably the best route. I suggest you call ADT and see if they have something available. Scroll down this link until you see the 7502 circuit board. Keep in mind, this is for a DSC Power 832. http://www.smarthome.com/7500.html

·
4,664 Posts
About all you can do with homelink is activate a contact closure, by buying another garage door controller and programming it in. So if you can control with that, you're set, but I agree that there's better ways, like Snowride is suggesting.

I think one way that would be cool, would be a webbrowser on a cell phone, or even calling in. That way it could alert you as well with a phone call, or SMS message.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies and info.

I was hoping for a solution providing the convenience
of just pushing a button (or two) on my rear view mirror.

I'll keep searching, there's gotta be a way.

Thanks, again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts