Aluminum trim
Trip computer
Braking assist
Auto-on/off headlights
Fog lights
Slightly more horsepower/torque
Better gas mileage
Longer powertrain warranty

Did I miss anything? (I'm leaving out subjective areas such as looks.)

The Pilot is a good buy for those who want extra room and seats, the Murano is a good buy for those who want more features.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i don't know if the third row seats should be an "advantage"
1. adults cannot sit in that third row! only small children will fit
2. second row leg room decreases dramatically
3. cargo area is ___ YEH big unless you fold down the 3rd row seats.

so unless you have really small children, then i guess the 3rd row is nice to have. im glad the murano didn't come out with 3rd row seats.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The Pilot seems to have a lot going for the rear passengers.

Third-row seats
Rear climate control
Rear seat pretensioners
More cargo room

The Murano has more going for the driver.

·
5,244 Posts
You cannot really compare these two cars. For me Honda is an SUV, Murano - something else. I elected to purchase Murano for a single reason - it is not a SUV! It does not drive like SUV, does not look like SUV, it is simple driver car. With sports car spirit (I know some of you will smile).

If I wanted an SUV i would probably go for a Toyota Landcruiser, well proved in Australian outback as well as roads around the world.

Other choice would be Nissan Patrol i.e. if it was available here.......

·
Registered
438 Posts
Honda reliability is also better than Nissan, on average

I gotta say, my purchase decision was 50% style and 50% technical. Cars are so much more alike than different these days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honda was really boring

I too compared the Honda Pilot. I think it's a great value for someone who buys their vehicles for transportation, reliability and function. The Murano was more emontional and certainly more enjoyable to drive.

·
5,244 Posts
DatsunDriven

your not wrong!!!!:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
i<3mymurano said:
i don't know if the third row seats should be an "advantage"
1. adults cannot sit in that third row! only small children will fit
2. second row leg room decreases dramatically
3. cargo area is ___ YEH big unless you fold down the 3rd row seats.

so unless you have really small children, then i guess the 3rd row is nice to have. im glad the murano didn't come out with 3rd row seats.
I have a 2003 Pilot without the adjustable second row. It is simply untrue that adults cannot fit in the third row. I carted around six people the other night (in town mind you) for about an hour total drive time. I asked the two who sat in back how bad it was. They said they didn't even notice, it was fine. They were women about 5'7". The one problem is, however, getting to the third row. You have to climb over the second row seat.

FYI, I love the look of the Murano, just needed more space for the family...

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Number tell all

Features LX /EX
Headroom (in., front/middle/rear) 41.9 / 40.9 / 38.9
Legroom (in., front/middle/rear) 41.4 / 37.4 / 30.2
Shoulder Room (in., front/middle/rear) 61.6 / 61.4 / 58.8
Hiproom (in., front/middle/rear) 57.5 / 56.6 / 49.0
Cargo Volume (cu. ft., behind 1st/2nd/3rd row) 90.3/48.7/16.3

Quite obviously there is lot less room in the rear seat.
But IMO, it's also obvious that most adults could ride there.
An 8 hour road trip? No. That would be ridiculous.
Going to dinner? Why not?

Lets call em as we see em, but lets be fair.

Now let me list the things about a Pilot that DO excite me.

1-

Homer
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Number tell all

hfelknor said:
Features LX /EX
Headroom (in., front/middle/rear) 41.9 / 40.9 / 38.9
Legroom (in., front/middle/rear) 41.4 / 37.4 / 30.2
Shoulder Room (in., front/middle/rear) 61.6 / 61.4 / 58.8
Hiproom (in., front/middle/rear) 57.5 / 56.6 / 49.0
Cargo Volume (cu. ft., behind 1st/2nd/3rd row) 90.3/48.7/16.3

Quite obviously there is lot less room in the rear seat.
But IMO, it's also obvious that most adults could ride there.
An 8 hour road trip? No. That would be ridiculous.
Going to dinner? Why not?

Lets call em as we see em, but lets be fair.

Now let me list the things about a Pilot that DO excite me.

1-

Homer
:rolleyes:
Did you accidently hit the submit button or are you still thinking? Just kidding... I love my Pilot and am going back home before I get in trouble...

·
4,601 Posts
Pilot:

1- It's not as ugly as some other SUV's...
2- Umm, er, uh, I guess it's reliable
3- uh, I think it might be ok to drive
4 - Hmm, it is probably pretty reliable
5- Oh, c'mon, someone help me....

Oh never mind, I'll just go look at my Murano again and continue smiling..:D

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I saw a Pilot today , er, wait, maybe it was one of the 55 billion SUV's out there that just look like a Pilot. The MO got style baby!:cool:

·
Registered
423 Posts
The biggest factor that influenced our decision to buy the Murano was that while the Pilot was nice, and the price was right, it seemed to say way too much when changing lanes and turning corners. We have never owned an SUV before, so this could be why as well, but in the end, it seems to us that the Murano was the spot between the rock and the hard place.....bigger than a sedan, not as mushy as an SUV

·
the rally racing nut
83 Posts
how i got my Mo

we needed a new car when we totaled the minivan (at about 3 mph), and had been renting for a few months. It was 7 weeks before the Mo came out, and we put our money down on a pilot. One problem. They couldn't find the car we wanted anywhere! We couldn't wait any longer, and the week the Mo came out, it was heaven. It is faster, not as cheap looking and handles and brakes better too (at least to me).
So we put our money down for a gold Mo SL AWD with cloth interior and no options. Hehe. They found one on the docks in CA the next week. But the docks were trying to get more money for them to move it, and this went on between them and the dealer for a week. Finally, the dealer said that they couldn't give us the car we asked for, but... for the same price we were promised, we got a brand new Midnight Blue SL AWD mo, with premium package, cargo net, mats and cargo protector, and splashguards (all for less then MSRP of the original base model SL AWD). I think we got a steal. Now if the interior would only stay together...

·
Registered
3 Posts
that compass in mirror is big item to me...putting garage remote
in homelink was big item...all things that pilot doesnt have...and muranos a beauty, if one can figure how things work

·
Registered
79 Posts
I test drove a Pilot over the summer to compare it to the MO. The neighborhood dealer wouldn't let me take it past 30MPH through a drive on the local streets! I asked to go on the highway with it, and he said no. When I asked him why, he said that they are a neighborhood dealer and not some highway dealer. I asked him if the people who bought their cars there never left the neighborhood with them. What a dope!

There are two things I don't understand about SUVs in general.

1) What is all the fuss about the 3rd row? Vehicles like the Murano get criticized because they don't have a third row. If I wanted/needed a third row, I would not look at the Murano. As a matter of fact, I avoided the Pilot because of it, fearing that my wife would use it more than I so she could cart around my kids and their friends.

2) It kills me that SUVs tout all this "off-road" capability with plastic skid plates on the lower bumpers, high ground clearance. Consumer Reports always comments about the vehicles that they don't subject to their terrain test. At the same time, these vehicles are marketed to families where the farthest off road they go is the grass parking lot at the apple orchard! Can you imagine someone buying a Toyota Sequioa and hitting the Rubicon? Or the ritzy Land Rovers with that headlight guards on them. What a joke!

To me, the MO is the perfect urban assault vehicle - enough truckiness to handle those wild, off-road adventures to the plant nursery, yet civilized enough to take the family on vacation. And it's got some moxie to keep the old man (me) excited about driving it. All at a pretty good price.

I really think this is where VW blew it on the Touareg. They put so much offroad crap in it, that it's too heavy for the V6 to pull it, and way too expensive as a result.

·
5,244 Posts
msfiveiron said:
I test drove a Pilot over the summer to compare it to the MO. The neighborhood dealer wouldn't let me take it past 30MPH through a drive on the local streets! I asked to go on the highway with it, and he said no. When I asked him why, he said that they are a neighborhood dealer and not some highway dealer. I asked him if the people who bought their cars there never left the neighborhood with them. What a dope!

There are two things I don't understand about SUVs in general.

1) What is all the fuss about the 3rd row? Vehicles like the Murano get criticized because they don't have a third row. If I wanted/needed a third row, I would not look at the Murano. As a matter of fact, I avoided the Pilot because of it, fearing that my wife would use it more than I so she could cart around my kids and their friends.

2) It kills me that SUVs tout all this "off-road" capability with plastic skid plates on the lower bumpers, high ground clearance. Consumer Reports always comments about the vehicles that they don't subject to their terrain test. At the same time, these vehicles are marketed to families where the farthest off road they go is the grass parking lot at the apple orchard! Can you imagine someone buying a Toyota Sequioa and hitting the Rubicon? Or the ritzy Land Rovers with that headlight guards on them. What a joke!

To me, the MO is the perfect urban assault vehicle - enough truckiness to handle those wild, off-road adventures to the plant nursery, yet civilized enough to take the family on vacation. And it's got some moxie to keep the old man (me) excited about driving it. All at a pretty good price.

I really think this is where VW blew it on the Touareg. They put so much offroad crap in it, that it's too heavy for the V6 to pull it, and way too expensive as a result.

I could not agree more!
I bought MO because of:
1. no 3rd raw seats.
2. lack of off road capabilities.
But for:
1. great styling
2. great handling
3. great feeling
4. CVT!!!!!!!!!!!
5. Performance
6. VQ engine
7. just purely love it! (at least so far!)

If I wanted:
A) off -road capabilities - it would be a Toyota Land Cruiser or a Land Rover
B) third raw - a minivan

:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts