Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I finally have something to whine about. This morning some jerk pulls right out in front of me and forces me to slam on the brakes and swerve off the road just to avoid creaming him. Of course, the MO handled the emergency manuver perfectly. I wanted to get the idiots attention to give him the single finger salute (Please, no road rage lectures). So naturally, I leaned hard on the horn.

What a wimpy sounding horn! It was almost embarassing.

Has anyone replaced the horn? I know I tried to replace the horn on an 88 Maxima I had (for the exact same reason), and I couldn't even get close to the trumpet things without tearing the entire front end off the car. Does anyone actually like the way this horn sounds? I think if it were a simple matter of swapping out the trumpet things with some Manly sounding horns, I would really be a happy camper. Any thoughts?

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Funny that you said that, I was just thinking about the horn last night. I actually think that this is a better sounding horn than my 98 ford contour that I had. POS. Regardless, no complaints here, but I am also the one that gets yelled at by my girlfriend for not honking at the people who drive like idiots.

Little does she know that I'm just quietly praying that 1 day natural selection and the moron become friends.:4:

-------
By any chance, were you by the fort pitt tunnel? People today are nuts!

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Snow MO said:
Little does she know that I'm just quietly praying that 1 day natural selection and the moron become friends.:4:
LOL, I think that all the time!

I like the sound the horn makes, it has a nice harmonic. Perhaps if you're looking for something to cause elderly people to have heart attacks you should look at an air horn?

·
Registered
360 Posts
The horn does sound awfully quiet from inside the MO. Also doesn't sound all that loud if you stand beside or behind the vehicle when it is blown.

But get out front and it's a different story. Try this, stand a few feet behind the MO and use the keyfob to lock the doors. Now walk to the front and do the same. Quite a difference. The horn is actually "directional".

·
Registered
564 Posts
According to the Service Manual, there are actually two snail-shell type horns mounted on the front of the vehicle and pointed downward (presumbly to minimize the accumulation of dirt and/or water). The horn on the left side of the vehicle (driver's side) is a low note and the horn on the right side is a high note. Based on the diagram drawings and description of tone, they appear similar to the Fiamm brand aftermarket horns, which are quite loud. Access to either horns requires removal of the front bumper. Therefore, they SHOULD be loud enough. It could be that the sound dampening nature of the passenger compartment and the position of the horns at the front of the vehicle mutes what vehicles in front of the Mo will hear. In any event, if you really want to change them out, you will need to do some major disassembly of the front end AND chances are that you will have to upgrade considerably (maybe to trucker type horns) to be able to get significantly louder sound.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim C said:
In any event, if you really want to change them out, you will need to do some major disassembly of the front end AND chances are that you will have to upgrade considerably (maybe to trucker type horns) to be able to get significantly louder sound.
That was the same set up in the old Maxima. The horns were almost impossible to access. Oh, well.

Hey Sno MO, Although I live near the airport, I travel the Parkway East daily. I totally avoid the Ft. Pitt tunnel as well as the Parkway West between town and 79. You can come down Greentree Hill at 3AM and still hit traffic. It amazes me!

:eek:

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Yeah that's my stomping ground so I traverse it daily. Its rediculous and I advoid it whenever possible, but being from the South Hills area of the Burgh I've realized that you can't get to anything inside of 20 mins, but keep an eye out...if you see the MO with the push bar honk...I hope I'll hear ya! ;)

·
4,664 Posts
The horns on the 2000 Maxima sounded like the Road Runner, so I took them out two weeks after getting the car and put in a pair of FIAMMs. Of course, I took them back when it went in. I don't have a problem with the Murano's horns, but I still have my old air horns that I've considered putting in.

In parallel it works well. The stockers respond fast, but the air horns scream when they get cranked up. A little toot and no one hears them. Lay on the horn button and you get one, then followed and obliterated by the other. That always made people look. (Especially on my old Kawasaki...:eek: )

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I put FIAMMs on my VW bus I once had after many encounters with jackasses pulling out in front of me. The first time I got to lean on the horn button, the guy literally went up on the curb to avoid me--they are 130db.
Upon reading other stuff about them lately, you can reduce the time it takes to blow with heavy wire to the compressor. You can get them for a song at Pep Boys--or at least their equivalent.
Actually, I thought my horn was loud enough to shut off the honk for lock.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've been thinking the same thing about the horns. Just a little too soft for I-95 driving. "Griot's Garage" has a nice set of air horns that are trumpet and compressor combined! No hunting around for a place to put 7-10" bell horns. I'll be buying in a couple weeks. Will let y'all know how it goes. Am considering putting them inline with the OEM units. That way will sound like a couple cars telling them they are idiots.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
midnitexpress said:
I've been thinking the same thing about the horns. Just a little too soft for I-95 driving. "Griot's Garage" has a nice set of air horns that are trumpet and compressor combined! No hunting around for a place to put 7-10" bell horns. I'll be buying in a couple weeks. Will let y'all know how it goes. Am considering putting them inline with the OEM units. That way will sound like a couple cars telling them they are idiots.
Make sure you take pics of the install! I'll most likely be doing the same thing. I hate having quiet horns. Especially here in Seattle where everyone is deaf (and aparently blind, stupid, and don't know how to drive). :3:

~ Corin

·
Registered
256 Posts
...so when the Seattleites (sp?) retire they come down here?!?

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
midnitexpress said:
...so when the Seattleites (sp?) retire they come down here?!?
HA! Yep, when we have no more use for them we ship them off to you! :p

I'm working on getting Balmer and Allen expunged. Anyone want them? :flush:

~ Corin

·
Registered
256 Posts
Size does matter...! 0 :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I like my horns. . . . .

They are not "beefy", but sure do beat the horns in my 1990 Ford Festiva and my 2002 Mercedes ML320!

Ooh, and have someone honk for a while while you are standing in front of the Murano about 20 feet. Your ears will be ringing... The loudness and tone are quite effective.

·
Registered
256 Posts
actually, the best way to hear how loud the OEM horns are, is to hit the "Panic" button on the remote. You'd be surprised I think.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
MOpar came by and I heard his fantastic Ferrari Air horns. So I just had to get a pair and they are physically in and tomorrow I'll get the power to them. I know approximately where the horn are but not precisely enough to say "I see them" can anyone help me pinpoint them exactly. I also heard they are snail shaped, I can only see what "might be them" and that is a square box about 4in on a side and 3/4 inch thick near the radiator on the enging side.

I am also trying to decide how to best use my newhorns, A switch to:

1.Add the new with the old?

2. A switch to turn off the old and turn on the new.

3. New horns alone.

I am trying to take into consideration the horn beep when you lock the car. Having the best sound and finally having the loudest sound.

Comments, suggestions?

BeeBrap, BeeBrap GRIP:D

·
Registered
289 Posts
My stock horn is still hooked to the alarm, air horns hooked to horn button.My Wolo's ramp up pretty quick for a short tap on the horn.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts