Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MD just passed new laws effective Oct 1 making stricter regulations for teen drivers - laws such as not being able to use a cell phone (unless in case of an emergency), not having other teen passengers under 18 (I believe family is excluded), a longer learning permit period, and some others. Parents on the whole while stating it may inconvenience them thought the laws were good. I know it seems necessary that teens drive - I had to when I was a teen - to my part-time job and to college - but that's just what I did. Around the MD/DC/VA area there have been for the last year a number of accidents with teens killed - one for example where a group of 16/17 year olds were driving at 2am in the family's Infinity SUV. I had 2 accidents in the past year - 16 year old girl at a stop sign assumed I had a stop sign (2 way stop, not a 4 way stop) and pulled out in front of me and I hit her broadside. Lucky for her, I could "read" it and slammed on the breaks (Toyota Avalon) and did not hit her hard. What did she do? When she realized what was happening, she stopped in the intersection instead of bee-lining through. She was alone and had her license for 2 weeks - 2nd accident already according to the cop (I called). Then, in May, sitting at a traffic light with my wife, a 16 year old girl hit a 17 year old boy which then rear-ended us. Her 2nd accident and his as well (although this wasn't his fault) - according to the cops. They ambulanced him out and me and my wife had some severe back/neck pain for a few days - which I'm still trying to recover the lost wages from and my Murano bumper was in the body shop twice, never to be perfect again (they just can't get it "like new").

The important thing is everyone is ok (I'm not sure what happened totally to the kid who was rear-ended - I did see him in the ER with us) but I'm very happy with the laws, hope they can be enforced, am happy with other states that have them, and hope any remaining states follow suit. :)

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
MichaelMurano said:
MD just passed new laws effective Oct 1 making stricter regulations for teen drivers - laws such as not being able to use a cell phone (unless in case of an emergency), not having other teen passengers under 18 (I believe family is excluded), a longer learning permit period, and some others.
I am in MD and although I have no kids/teens, I am happy this law is passed! Nowadays, you can get a license only because you breath; it is THAT easy!.

Now, how are they going to enforce the rule on teen not to use cellphone? Are the cops going to do profiling i.e stopping every drivers that look young and on cell phone? I wonder.....:rolleyes:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts