Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to install the HotShot unit into their Murano? GM has apparently started to offer these units as standard equipment, but there is an aftermarket unit that is apparently pretty cool.

HotShot Windshield Deicer
Heats windshield washer fluid to enhance driver safety and convenience all year long.

·
5,244 Posts
Hm........in Atlanta Georgia it has not much use.......if i lived in Alaska, or Toronto (watch out jaak!) maybe i would think about it.....

oops. I am off the track again.......hope someone else will have a "logical" answer........;)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Hmmm.
I wonder if it would work with Latte here in Florida.......? :1:

Homer

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, here in the northern midwest we get cold, very very cold. The ice, the snow, the mighty wind of breaking souls....cold.

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Interesting unit. I wish someone has some real experience with it. I personally want to know how good is against bugs and hmmm..mmm…birds droppings..:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmm,
It says this thing warms washer fluid to 145 degrees F! When it's 9 degrees F outside and the car has sat overnight in the cold wind - won't that kind of heat crack the glass? How about melt the tubing?

Sorry - I've just heard the goof ball stories from locals that tried to "Defrost" their windshild by pouring hot water over it etc, needless to say the glass didn't handle it. :)

Just my curious thought....

The winter wiper freezup is a serious problem and my biggest hangup with this vehicle. It should be simple for them to put a wiper defroster along the bottom of the glass like the Chrysler minivans, or Subaru etc.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Ramdram-

The volume of water (and the heat content) exiting the washer nozzles is relatively small. The heat content is sufficient to assist in removing frost and light ice but is not nearly enough to thermal-shock the glass.

Concerning the tubing... The under-hood temperature is greater than 145F under most operating conditions. The heated washer fluid would have no detrimental effects on the tubing.

I like the idea of the HotShot and would be willing to install it on my Mo, that is assuming it works as well as advertised. Since I don't have a garage the HotShot may be worth the 100 bucks if it eliminates some/most of the frost/ice scraping.

-njjoe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi njjoe & group,

I apologize - I did read further into the product after posting my reply. I can see the potential for such a product. I park my Murano outside also, however my problem last winter was more the ice buildup during driving in an ice storm vs the actual ice scraping. This would require frequent fluid shots to keep it clean from the way it sounds. Is it possible to purchase windshilds with the heating element inside and connect to one's defroster - like comes standard on other vehicles? Or even work independently for that matter would be ok with me.

Hmm - still pondering this one... :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts