Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for a replacement for my stock tires on my 2003 Murano. In Tirerack, the Dueler H/L Alenza by Bridgestone's got great reviews ... Anyone have these? My main concern is the Ride, Noise and Wear ....

Also ....

Anyone have 255/55? They are about an inch wider then stock. Do they stick out and look bad? Any pics would be great ..... I did the calculations with them and your speed will show 62 mph when you are only doing 60 .... So for every 1000 miles you put on it you would be recording 1030 miles ... Anyone else run these numbers? ... THanks

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Thomasfx10 said:
I have been searching for a replacement for my stock tires on my 2003 Murano. In Tirerack, the Dueler H/L Alenza by Bridgestone's got great reviews ... Anyone have these? My main concern is the Ride, Noise and Wear ....

Also ....

Anyone have 255/55? They are about an inch wider then stock. Do they stick out and look bad? Any pics would be great ..... I did the calculations with them and your speed will show 62 mph when you are only doing 60 .... So for every 1000 miles you put on it you would be recording 1030 miles ... Anyone else run these numbers? ... THanks
255/55/18 is a full 1" smaller in diameter than stock. I'm sure the car will run just fine, but it will exacerbate the gap in the wheel well even more.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Re: Re: How about these tires .....

Eric L. said:
but it will exacerbate the gap in the wheel well even more.
Perfect choice of words.

Yeah - I don't think I would do it. Although it will tell you that you're driving faster than you really are. Helpful for some of us.

·
Registered
133 Posts
255/55 vs 260/60's

Hi, Eric. I posted a reply last month concerning 255/55's vs 260's on our 03 SE AWD.
I saw this other MO with 255's while traveling and did not like that look. My wife calls this look "an elephant with chicken legs" in it's most extreme form al la' big SUV's with large goofy glittery rims and low profile tires.
As I said before, we switched to Toyo Proxes' ST's last Dec. with 260's and now have 10K on them. They lowered RPM's by a little so mpg is not affected by much, probably slightly less, 1\2 mpg, due to increased traction.
Benefits are a whole lot better ride including smoothness and stability. Take a look on Tire Rack's site and you can see the benefits of a higher grade of specs, but particularly pay attention to speed rating. Toyo's are V-rated vs. lower rating for Goodyears.
Buy the Toyo's. They are for fast street riding, unless you need off-road tires. A whole other issue. Darrell. PS. replys welcome. :)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Why not run the 255/60/R18 Toyo's?

They are exactly the same diam. as the Goodyears i.e. 30 inches.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
dmako said:
Why not run the 255/60/R18 Toyo's?

They are exactly the same diam. as the Goodyears i.e. 30 inches.
True. I thought about this but the Toyo seem to fare poorly in regards to snow traction. In this regard it leaves choices in perfect plus zero sizing rather limited.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Re: 255/55 vs 260/60's

dborla01 said:
Hi, Eric. I posted a reply last month concerning 255/55's vs 260's on our 03 SE AWD.
I saw this other MO with 255's while traveling and did not like that look. My wife calls this look "an elephant with chicken legs" in it's most extreme form al la' big SUV's with large goofy glittery rims and low profile tires.
As I said before, we switched to Toyo Proxes' ST's last Dec. with 260's and now have 10K on them. They lowered RPM's by a little so mpg is not affected by much, probably slightly less, 1\2 mpg, due to increased traction.
Benefits are a whole lot better ride including smoothness and stability. Take a look on Tire Rack's site and you can see the benefits of a higher grade of specs, but particularly pay attention to speed rating. Toyo's are V-rated vs. lower rating for Goodyears.
Buy the Toyo's. They are for fast street riding, unless you need off-road tires. A whole other issue. Darrell. PS. replys welcome. :)
According to the TOYO website, these tires are M+S rated. However, the tread pattern looks to be questionable for snow use. How do they perform in the snow??

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Re: 255/55 vs 260/60's

njjoe said:

According to the TOYO website, these tires are M+S rated. However, the tread pattern looks to be questionable for snow use. How do they perform in the snow??

-njjoe
The Goodyears are M&S rated too, and we all know how they perform in the snow! :D

Although I wish there was an alternative, Tirerack's ratings remain one of the few sources for tire performance. From there, I gather that the Yoko Geolandar G052's are a pretty good performance all-season tire. I will likely go for those (they are on backorder now though).

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Eric L. said:

True. I thought about this but the Toyo seem to fare poorly in regards to snow traction. In this regard it leaves choices in perfect plus zero sizing rather limited.
The Toyo Proxes S/Ts are on the summer side of "all season" and the stock Goodyears are on the winter side of "all season". That being said, you probably won't find an "all season" that is better than the stock ones in winter.

Using all season tires is a trade-off: you can leave them on all year, but you sacrifice performance in pretty much every situation.

That being said, the Toyo Proxes S/T are bad in the snow. I used them all winter last year. I didn't get stuck, or wipe out or anything, but I felt like I was driving slower than I could have been. This winter I'm using snow tires (Dunlop Grandtrek SJ5).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm looking at the Michelin Cross Terrains, 275 55R 18
Almost identical in diameter to the OEM Good Years.
Had the Cross Terrains on my Acura MDX, really liked them.
Any Opinions???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
275 ?

Have you seen the 275 on a Morano? Just wondering if they are too wide ... I do not want it to look weird with the tread sticking out too far. I am thinking about 255 / 55. Just curious on why going that wide (275) .... Thanks

·
Registered
781 Posts
I wouldn't run a 275/55 on an 8" wide rim.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"I wouldn't run a 275/55 on an 8" wide rim."

I would.

But isn't the Murano wheel 7"?
That would be insane.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
HuskyFan said:

I believe the Murano rim is 7.5.
Yeah its a 7.5" wide rim.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Dueler H/L Alenza by Bridgestone's got great reviews ... Anyone have these? My main concern is the Ride, Noise and Wear ....

Thomasfx10, I don't know if the Bridgestone Duelers that I had on my Jeep Grand Cheerokee are the same or not. I think mine were plain old Duelers. They wore down so fast that they had to prorate and give me new ones. My son also had them on his Jeep Cherokee Sport with the same result.

I can't say they are the same as the one you mentioned but if they are, eh, I'd keep looking.
The tires only my Altima are spectacular. They are the Bridgestone Turanza's. Now just over 40K on them and they look as if they have the same amount of tread as the day I bought the car. Very happy with those but unfortunately they don't make them in the MO's size.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Eh - recommended rim width is 7.5 - 9.5 for a 275/55. I'd rather be on the higher side (less likely to cup).

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
These seem like good tires, but they do not come in any size that fit the Murano.

bob1 said:
Dueler H/L Alenza by Bridgestone's got great reviews ... Anyone have these? My main concern is the Ride, Noise and Wear ....

Thomasfx10, I don't know if the Bridgestone Duelers that I had on my Jepp Grand Cheerokee are the same or not. I think mine were plain old Duelers. They wore down so fast that they had to prorate and give me new ones. My son also had them on his Jeep Cherokee Sport with the same result.

I can't say they are the same as the one you mentioned but if they are, eh, I'd keep looking.
The tires only my Altima are spectacular. They are the Bridgestone Turanza's. Now just over 40K on them and they look as if they have the same amount of tread as the day I bought the car. Very happy with those but unfortunately they don't make them in the MO's size.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Michelin specs that tire to go on a 7.5" to 9.5" wheel. The reason I
chose that size is because it's the only size that is almost identical
to the diameter of the OEM Good Years.
This is a new car, I don't like the Good Years to much road noise
so I went to Discount Tire, they contacted Good Year Customer Service who gave a concession to Discount Tire in the amount of $129.00 per tire (which is the full price) toward any tire I wished to purchase.
Very nice of them.
I'm still open to sugestions, I want a smooth riding low noise tire,
but we are all limited in choice due to the size on the Murano.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
jahjr said:
This is a new car, I don't like the Good Years to much road noise
so I went to Discount Tire, they contacted Good Year Customer Service who gave a concession to Discount Tire in the amount of $129.00 per tire (which is the full price) toward any tire I wished to purchase.
Very nice of them.
That is truly remarkable!! I have never heard of anyone getting full credit for OEM tires to purchase non-OEM tires.

Good Job!!

-njjoe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts