Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I doubt its that bad . . . .the Murano uses a detuned version of the 3.5L and that's why they made RPM limiters . . . .

Dave

·
My MO's faster than yours
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok..let me adjust my question...How bad is it staying "near" redline for long periods of time.

·
Registered
792 Posts
:)

How fast were you going?

I'm sure it isn't the best thing for the engine. A lot of heat is built up. How long and what RPM?

·
Where's my money?
23 Posts
I'd be more worried about the CVT than the engine. My 350z sees the track one weekend out of every month where I'm above 4k in 3rd or 4th gear for 30 minutes at a time.

Michael.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
I really would not worry about it at all. It's not in the red zone so its not in the red zone. If we worry too much we could just leave it in the garage and that would be worrisome also.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Redlining an engine cannot possibly be good for the engine, so to answer your question, its probably something you should avoid. What were you doing? Testing the speed limiter over and over?

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
b0xdesigns said:
It was just a question....I don't Abuse my MO like that.....
Okay, you would not have called it "abuse" if you thought redlining was good. You knew the answer all along!!! :2:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Asside from the normal wear of running an engine hard... I believe one limiting factor of the redline value is that the hydraulic valve lifters will start to "float".

·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zebelkhan said:

Okay, you would not have called it "abuse" if you thought redlining was good. You knew the answer all along!!! :2:

I was talking about your post when you asked what i was doing..." Testing the speed limiter over and over?" ...

b0x

·
Where's my money?
23 Posts
I suppose you guys have never heard of the term "Italian tune-up?" :D

1996-1998 (OBD-II models) Porsche 911's will throw a MIL for air passages that are blocked by carbon buildup. It appears that owners that baby their 911 are more prone to carbon build-up than 911 owners that open up their 911 from time to time or track their 911. [Digressing...] Some parts of North TX require emissions testing and a MIL is an instant failure. The fix for that air passage carbon buildup is a $7-9k top-end rebuild. Suck-o-rama.

IMO, it's actually good to open up your car from time to time to burn off any carbon deposits that may build up. The best way to drive your vehicle is to drive it "normally." Don't "abuse" it, but certainly don't baby it either.

For NISSAN's, the redline isn't really the actually point of failure. With the VQ, if you stay 500-1000rpm above redline for an extended period of time, then you will certainly get valve float and/or destroyed bearings.

Michael.

·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was just curious because with the CVT...It keeps the engine near redline till the speed you want. Other than having to change gears like a conventional tranny.

·
4,664 Posts
I don't even know how you can get the engine to go into the redline, other than going down a long steep hill at 150 mph and even then, I wonder if it would.

I've always considered the tach to stop reading rpm at the redline and start reading in $, but even then, redline is a guideline to safety for the engine's life and is set lower than where significant damage would occur quickly. Hitting redline wouldn't bother me. Hitting 2,000 rpm above redline would start to concern me. Those valves need enough time to get out of the way of the pistons! Other than that, the VQ is built so well, I'm not even concerned about bearings being one of the first things to smoke, pop or crack.

I think the computer does a good job of protecting the engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts