Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was only 39 degrees outside today. I went out to start the MO and it didn't turn over right away. I thought it was strange and gave it another shot. It finally turned over. NO lights came on, but I am wondering if I should report it to the dealer and mention that it may be the beginning of alternator failure. Is this really a sign of failure?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Have you checked the electrolite in your battery?
Yes, this is an old style maintenance battery.

You need to check the water and add if low.
I do this at every oil change (3000 miles).

I have heard rumors that the alternator puts out a marginal amount of current. This apparently can cause a low battery if you do a lot of short trips.
I don't know this for a fact.

In any event the car should start with vigor at 39 degrees.
Tell the dealer.

Homer

·
4,601 Posts
Mine started at -40, but boy were those seats hard...

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
When i brought my MO to the dealer for 15K maintenance...

I have the service manager write down to test alt voltage.
When i get the vehicle back, they told me : No problem, alt is fine!
Somehow i dont believe them... go figure :rolleyes:

From reading other posts, the voltage can be good and week later, the alt will still fail. What you need to prepare before long trip:
- Pay the AAA plus memebership, 100 mile free tow
- or get nissan warranty gold plus
- charge your cellphone batery
- bring some spare clothes, in the case u need to spend a day or 2 in a motel.
- bring cash

And of course, dont forget to slap Nissan a complain with NTHSA when you have your alt fails.

·
4,601 Posts
It's too bad we don't get the detail, but I'd like to know if it's the regulator or the rectifier that's failing. If it's the rectifier, it's probably detectable. If it's the regulator, it probably works fine until it goes POOF!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Maybe you could look at the voltage and the wave form that exists across the batter. I relize the bat will dampen but would thing it would be very informative. Grip :D PS JAAK I can't get aroung the washer tank to get my fog of on passenger side, Help?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts