Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife sits close to the steering wheel and I am concerned that she could be more injured by the airbag than by a minor front-end accident.

Anyone know what's an optimal distance or a minimum distance from the steering wheel in order to minimize personal injury?

It seems to me that further is better but she is uncomfortable with her arms fully extended.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Attended a Barber BMW Driving school for a few days some time ago at Lime Rock Park in Conn. This is what they suggested:

Sit properly in the seat and extend right arm straight out so that hand, wrist or arm rests on top of wheel. Keeping shoulder against seat back, then adjust seat bottom backwards or forwards until wrist rests on top of wheel.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Nice... I would love to attend on of those. Must be great information and hands on experience.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
rjardine is correct. However, since you sit up much higher in the Murano (in a less reclined position than in a BMW), you may want to sit just a bit closer than the racing position if it makes your arms stretch out uncomfortably (particularly since the Murano does not have the flip down arm rest like the Highlander).

·
Registered
554 Posts
I believe the NHTSA guidelines are 18 inches minimum from the steering wheel, but was told that 12 inches would be sufficient. For me, the further the better. My wife likes the adjustable pedals that help keep her back from the steering wheel. Keep in mind also that I believe the Murano has dual stage inflation airbags - less aggressive deployments in lower speed crashes, more rapid deployment in higher speed crashes.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I've often wondered about this also. I see people (generally women) that sit very close to the steering wheel. I'm sure it has something to do with the height of the driver. Adjustable pedals have to make it easier to get back from the steering wheel. I know the air bags inflate very quickly - but fast enough to protect someone sitting 12 inches away? I wonder if there have been any tests on this.

Another thing to consider though is making sure the driver is comfortable - regardless of what is recommended. Personally, I can't see how having your chest embedded in the steering wheel can be comfortable though.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I just love the MO.... I have loads of leg room in this baby. I have the pedals fully forward and the seat pushed fully back with the b back of the seat straight up. Boy I'm comfy when I drive. More leg room than the VW Touareg. :roadtrip:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts