Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Sorry if it seems like a noob question
I was wondering, the Engine is strong, But with this spec can only go as fast as 136/220kmph (if it reaches that, i have yet to try )
Ive seen v4 cars can go faster.
Also another question...
second and third generation muranos have same engine. does it mean speed is the same?
Thx

·
Registered
696 Posts
The 3rd gen has 15 more horsepower.

From personal experience with about 10K+ on the odometers w/H rated tires:

2003 Murano SL - 124 MPH pedal to the floor for 1 minute on flat open straight 4 lane highway @ 3 AM.

2017.5 Murano Platinum - 128 MPH pedal to the floor for 1 minute on flat open straight 4 lane highway @ 4 AM.

Both cars were rock steady at top speed, which was held for about 10 to 15 seconds. Not something I would recommend, unless you know for a fact that the road will be Smokey free and next to no traffic, hence the early AM runs.

If I remember correctly, these numbers closely correlate to an article that I read about the top speed of the Murano.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

2003 Murano SL - 124 MPH pedal to the floor for 1 minute on flat open straight 4 lane highway @ 3 AM.

2017.5 Murano Platinum - 128 MPH pedal to the floor for 1 minute on flat open straight 4 lane highway @ 4 AM.

Both cars were rock steady at top speed, which was held for about 10 to 15 seconds. Not something I would recommend, unless you know for a fact that the road will be Smokey free and next to no traffic, hence the early AM runs.

If I remember correctly, these numbers closely correlate to an article that I read about the top speed of the Murano.

Have a good day.
Thanks but my question was why only 128? i mean what is v6 3.5 good for then if it cant even reach 160

·
Registered
696 Posts
Very rarely will you find a mass produced car that will reach the top end of it's speedometer.

It's really a psychological selling point. Most cars will reach to about 80% of their top speedometer number.

Plus, 98% of drivers are not properly trained/can't handle high speeds, i.e. above 90 MPH, which car manufactures realize. I don't just hop into the car and try to break the speedometer. I've driven high-end and race cars so have some knowledge of how too much power/speed can go wrong very quickly.

Please remember "Speed Kills", which is why if doing something like checking your top speed, be aware other drivers are out there too. Do it off hours and on a road that is less traveled and be as safe as can be.

Have a good day.

P.S. Ann Webster, you can always test your Murano on the Autobahn. Would make a nice road trip for you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very rarely will you find a mass produced car that will reach the top end of it's speedometer.

It's really a psychological selling point. Most cars will reach to about 80% of their top speedometer number.

Plus, 98% of drivers are not properly trained/can't handle high speeds, i.e. above 90 MPH, which car manufactures realize. I don't just hop into the car and try to break the speedometer. I've driven high-end and race cars so have some knowledge of how too much power/speed can go wrong very quickly.

Please remember "Speed Kills", which is why if doing something like checking your top speed, be aware other drivers are out there too. Do it off hours and on a road that is less traveled and be as safe as can be.

Have a good day.

P.S. Ann Webster, you can always test your Murano on the Autobahn. Would make a nice road trip for you.
thanks for the reply. Yes i was gonna test it. But my question still was. isnt 136mph ( top speed written on odometer) still low for a 3.5 littre v6 engine? i ve seen v4 cars with 2.0 littre engine can go faster than 150mprh ( 260kmph)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Take that 3.5L and drop it into a smaller lighter low slung car and you will top out the speedometer, and then some. The Murano is a 4,000 lb. box pushing thru the wind, no matter how aerodynamic it is.

There are a lot of other factors besides engine liter size determining the top speed of a car. Engine compression boosting, gearing, tire size, weight to HP ratio, and I could go on and on.

Research just about any car mass produced (5K or more a year.) and you'll find the tested real world top speed limit rarely matches the speedometer limit.

Have a good day.

P.S. Let us know the top speed you reach and the conditions. If you have Android, there's an app that will do timing of 0 - 60 MPH and 0 - 100 MPH, strictly for testing purposes, lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Have a good day.
Maybe NISSAN has a 'speed limiter' on the engine computer, thus not allowing a higher mph speed.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Maybe NISSAN has a 'speed limiter' on the engine computer, thus not allowing a higher mph speed.
I don't think so. At top speed, the tachometer wasn't anywhere near redline.

I know with the pedal to the floor, RPM will go just a hair past reline before using one of the fake shift point. Going into manual mode, 3rd gear, engine will go to almost 7K RPM for a second before the CVT will force shift to 4th.

I believe it's just a matter of physics, just too much air resistance, too much weight for the horsepower and torque of the Murano engine.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The actual max speed can also be higher than the max speedometer reading. I remember many 1970 - 80's American V8 sedans had the wide, rectangular speedometers that top at 85 MPH. Those cars can easily reach 100 MPH and beyond.

·
Super Moderator
7,791 Posts
Many vehicles don't have the power to overcome wind resistance and attain a high top speed.

I've driven my 1983 Datsun 280ZX Turbo on the NASCAR oval at the Texas World Speedway. Once I topped out the tach in 4th gear, I shifted to 5th and actually lost a couple of MPH. I was radar-clocked at 112 MPH coming down the front straight. I only ran half the oval, and that was all I could get with the power available. I know that if I had been able to run a full lap on the oval, there was a bit more there with time for 5th gear to work, maybe 125 MPH, but that would have been all, even with a mile or more to run full out. A 280zx is a pretty slippery car, but even that wedge shape has to fight wind drag.

Wind resistance increases quickly as speed increases, and it takes a LOT of engine power to get a few more MPH. The Murano is not a low wind resistance vehicle. If they wanted to get 150 MPH out of it (and you should keep in mind that the body is not designed for that speed and may be unstable and unsafe at that speed) they'd probably need 400-500 HP out of that V6. I suppose you could get that kind of power out of it - for maybe an hour or two. Then you'd have a full engine rebuild on your hands. No one wants a Murano that needs an engine rebuild twice a week.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The force of the wind resistance increases with the square of the velocity. This means the wind resistance force at 120 MPH is 4 times the wind resistance force at 60 MPH.

It's probably the reason electric cars look like squished jellybeans. With today's battery technology they need to minimize wind resistance as much as possible to get decent range at highway speeds.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The actual max speed can also be higher than the max speedometer reading. I remember many 1970 - 80's American V8 sedans had the wide, rectangular speedometers that top at 85 MPH. Those cars can easily reach 100 MPH and beyond.
Yea, those 85 MPH speedometers was actually part of the 55 - Double Nickel gov mandate during the gas crisis. The brain heads had figured out that drivers were used to seeing the needle halfway on the dial (60 MPH on a 120 MPH dial), and by lowering the top speed to 85 MPH, drivers would see the needle almost 3/4 of the dial and not go past 55 MPH. And you know what? It worked for the most part! Except for the drivers that found it very easy to bury the speedometer. ;)

Again, it was all psychological, just like now with the top speed being 160 MPH on the speedometer.

Have a good day.

·
Super Moderator
7,791 Posts
Yea, those 85 MPH speedometers was actually part of the 55 - Double Nickel gov mandate during the gas crisis. The brain heads had figured out that drivers were used to seeing the needle halfway on the dial (60 MPH on a 120 MPH dial), and by lowering the top speed to 85 MPH, drivers would see the needle almost 3/4 of the dial and not go past 55 MPH. And you know what? It worked for the most part! Except for the drivers that found it very easy to bury the speedometer. ;)

Again, it was all psychological, just like now with the top speed being 160 MPH on the speedometer.

Have a good day.
The thought that people couldn't even process speed and just looked at a needle on the speedo is depressing, isn't it??

Fortunately, I'm one of those who managed by bury that speedo needle a number of times.

When I had the good fortune to move out of Texas forever, as I crossed the border in my 280ZX, I had a good cigar going, Frank Sinatra was singing "Fly Me To The Moon" loudly on the CD player, and the absurd 85 MPH speedo was buried in 5th gear at 100+ MPH calculated by engine RPM. Leaving in style was a joyous occasion.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The thought that people couldn't even process speed and just looked at a needle on the speedo is depressing, isn't it??

Fortunately, I'm one of those who managed by bury that speedo needle a number of times.

When I had the good fortune to move out of Texas forever, as I crossed the border in my 280ZX, I had a good cigar going, Frank Sinatra was singing "Fly Me To The Moon" loudly on the CD player, and the speedo was buried in 5th gear at 100+ MPH calculated by engine RPM. Leaving in style was a joyous occasion.
"I can't drive 55!" lol

Have a good day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That was the 70's/80's... way of life different ! ;-)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts