Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Great chart!
It's good to see the Murano hold its own in the competition. But I wonder how much better the Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander sales would be if they we more stylish like Mo.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For many, the Murano's styling is a turnoff and the Pilot/Highlander's blandness are reasons to buy.

Frankly, I hate seeing myself coming and going, so I like the fact the the Murano doesn't sell as well as the other two. It is one of the reasons I want to get it over the RX330. The Lexus is all too common in my area.

·
5,244 Posts
I think Murano sells very well. .70k+ is not a bad number. Actually, I would prefer 20 – 30k/year. It would make it unique. Now, at least where I live, Muranos are becoming quite common.

Anybody noticed low numbers for Acura MDX? Low numbers for FX? I can understand the FX, but Acura? But than again it is just re-bagged Honda Pilot, which sells quite well.

I agree with the statement that Murano stylish shape can be a turn-off for some people. Majority just want a plain, reliable box. Oh, and there are some who go for image (Lexus).

So let’s be happy and hope Murano will not sell more cars next year.

·
5,244 Posts
Mr3Putt said:
I can't believe the Aztec didn't outsell them all!:2:

Very funny!:2: :2: :2: :2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Kris said:
I think Murano sells very well. .70k+ is not a bad number. Actually, I would prefer 20 – 30k/year. It would make it unique. Now, at least where I live, Muranos are becoming quite common.

Anybody noticed low numbers for Acura MDX? Low numbers for FX? I can understand the FX, but Acura? But than again it is just re-bagged Honda Pilot, which sells quite well.

I agree with the statement that Murano stylish shape can be a turn-off for some people. Majority just want a plain, reliable box. Oh, and there are some who go for image (Lexus).

So let’s be happy and hope Murano will not sell more cars next year.
The MDX isn't a rebadged Pilot. It shares no body panels or interior components. The underpinnings are the same (execpt for the AWD system). That isn't rebadging. Rebadging is a Chevy Trailblazer and Buick Rainer.

One of the primary reasons the MDXs sales are off is because it is at the end of its life cycle. A new MDX is expected for 06.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I am amazed to see some of the high numbers for the Ford, Chrysler and GM offerings.
To each his own I guess....

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
ekaxel said:
I am amazed to see some of the high numbers for the Ford, Chrysler and GM offerings.
To each his own guess....
Indeed. Looks like the teeming millions will buy just about anything.

·
5,244 Posts
ekaxel said:
Ye, it surrprised me too. But then again as Eric said HUGE discounts, cash back offers etc. did make a difference. And there is plenty of people who's knowledge of cars is not as good as ours.

And do not forget - there is plenty of people who simply cannot afford MO, Lexus, FX, Honda.......ye, I know it does not explain Pacifica....

·
Registered
301 Posts
ekaxel said:
I bet a percetage of those sales are to rental car agencies.... Hertz (was owned by Ford), Avis (rents a lot of GM & Chrysler), etc. Even though the rental fleets don't carry a high number of SUVs, they do have them.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
My wife aaaaaaaalmost bought an Equinox about a month ago.
Super black, all options...$21k.
3.5 engine etc etc

One has been playing with me on the freeway lately, they do seem to be able to move.

But the engine made in China?

hmmmm

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I can't believe the Aztec didn't outsell them all!

HA! I mean seriously, what goes through ones mind when they see the Aztec? "Wow, this looks like a train wreck, I think I'll buy one."

It used to be just me and one other MO in town. I bought in late Dec 2003. Now a day does not pass where I don't see at least 3 or 4.
I drove the Highlander. I have nothing bad to say about except....Yawn. I'm sure it is a good ride and reliable. It is just as boring as white paint on a wall.

Bob1

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
bob1 said:
I can't believe the Aztec didn't outsell them all!

HA! I mean seriously, what goes through ones mind when they see the Aztec? "Wow, this looks like a train wreck, I think I'll buy one."

It used to be just me and one other MO in town. I bought in late Dec 2003. Now a day does not pass where I don't see at least 3 or 4.
I drove the Highlander. I have nothing bad to say about except....Yawn. I'm sure it is a good ride and reliable. It is just as boring as white paint on a wall.

Bob1
The one thing the Aztec had going for it was a cheap price. With GM's rebates, you couldn't get a roomy, AWD, V6-equipped crossover for less. From what I've read, its pretty reliable as well (since the powertrain is older than dirt).

I admit I saw a B9 Tribeca up close (it was parked in the driveway next to my house) and it looks better in person than in pictures. In fact, I would say the front looks better than the rear (which should have looked like a Toyota Sienna, but ended up looking like a Sienna that's been to the crusher).

·
5,244 Posts
Interesting observation about Tribeca, Eric. Last weekend one parked next to my Murano - we, me and my wife, could not believe how ugly it was! I guess everybody is entitled to his own opinion....

·
Registered
781 Posts
When we stopped to test drive the Legacy GT - the sales guy was asking if we considered the Tribeca when we bought the Murano.

I told him no, for 2 reasons...

We bought the Murano in '03.
The Tribeca is ugly.

:)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Kris said:
Interesting observation about Tribeca, Eric. Last weekend one parked next to my Murano - we, me and my wife, could not believe how ugly it was! I guess everybody is entitled to his own opinion....
I guess I distinguish between "cheap and ugly" (aka Aztec, Rendezvous) or "quality and ugly" (Tribeca). There are a lot of cars out there that are "quality and ugly" out there - i.e. most of the new "bangled" BMWs which are perceived as "acceptable" because they are inherently quality cars with good brand perception.

Up close, the Tribeca looked very well made, and among the sea of Toyota Camry's and Honda Civics parked on the streets of San Francisco (where I saw the Tribeca), the car stood out, and I thought it was a good thing.

Still not as good looking as a Murano (not by a long shot). I am pretty excited about the new Mazda CX-7 as well, not because I think its better than a Murano, but because naturally when the mags test it, they will mention the Murano as well (as the only other "sporty" midsize non-luxury brand crossover), so we will see how the two stack up.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
What amazes me the most is the number of SUVs out there!! I didn't realize there were 36 to choose from!

I have mixed feelings about the Murano sales numbers. Obviously I like to see the MO sell well so that it remains in the Nissan line-up, but I also like the idea that you don't see a MO in every other driveway.

-njjoe

1 - 20 of 43 Posts