Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
few days ago i was at the beach and i thought since this car is 4wd i can get near the water...
Unfortunately i got stuck as soon as i went forward. the front tires were not even fully in... I put the gear in reverse and i saw tires don't spin... I mean they try to move abit but looks like they dont have enough power to move the car or even spin. i was like wtf what is 3.5 littre engine doing then if it cant not move the car off some sand, even with 4wd lock!
Long story short i had a big guy come help me by pushing the car from the front so i could get out.

Then later i read the user manual that 4wd should be only engaged when in drive mode and NOT reverse...
so i have 2 questions..
1: is the tire not spining mean my engine or gearbox has issues? or was it weak because it was in reverse?
2: i noticed the rear tires dont help at all... If they would work they would easily help me get out of sand.. is it normal? i mean what if someone is stuck and only way is to go backwards. so the car is basically 4dw only in Driver mode?
3: do you guys have any suggestion how to use the 4wd? like what if i only want to use rear diffrential?

Thank you very much

·
Registered
246 Posts
The rear axle is controlled by the PCM (computer) I think it shares wheel sensors for ABS for the wheel slip or spin info. The transfer case and the way it is shafted or linked to the transmission shares the differential gears, and the way it should work is if a wheel with less traction that would spin, then the computer should apply the brake on that wheel to allow the traction tire to move the car. That system would I think limit the wheel spin when stuck. Also it could be a slipping transmission issue as well.

·
Administrator
9,657 Posts
There is an error in your post: your Murano is not 4WD.

The Murano is primarily a front-drive vehicle with AWD (all wheel drive) added. AWD means that you can engage all four wheels when traction is low in normal driving situations. Its drivetrain is not as strong as a 4WD system, is not intended for 4WD use, and doesn't work the same way that 4WD vehicles do. If you use it as a 4WD you will break the transfer case or other parts of the driveline. I believe it's AWD in forward gears only, but I may be wrong.

There is no option to use the rear differential only. The Murano is designed to stay on roads or dirt/gravel, not to go onto beaches or off-road. Your first generation Murano is one with a more breakdown-prone CVT (they are somewhat stronger in gens 2 and 3) and you should avoid taking it into situations where the drivetrain is stressed.

Reactions: sistermoon2500

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is an error in your post: your Murano is not 4WD.

The Murano is primarily a front-drive vehicle with AWD (all wheel drive) added. AWD means that you can engage all four wheels when traction is low in normal driving situations. Its drivetrain is not as strong as a 4WD system, is not intended for 4WD use, and doesn't work the same way that 4WD vehicles do. If you use it as a 4WD you will break the transfer case or other parts of the driveline. I believe it's AWD in forward gears only, but I may be wrong.

There is no option to use the rear differential only. The Murano is designed to stay on roads or dirt/gravel, not to go onto beaches or off-road. Your first generation Murano is one with a more breakdown-prone CVT (they are somewhat stronger in gens 2 and 3) and you should avoid taking it into situations where the drivetrain is stressed.
thanks for replying. But mine says 4wd. the button in mid console its written 4wd lock... also the light comes on shows as 4wd. it was one of my questions before that whats the difference between 4wd and awd. i can take a pic and will add in a few
thanks

·
Registered
3,001 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems the Murano AWD button and warning light in some parts of the world are labeled 4WD. It is still a light duty AWD driveline.

Thank you. yes it shows 4wd... pics attached...
Also its second time i get a DTC error code P0868...
I read about it on google that it means cvt fuel pressure is down. i deleted the error first time after i got it from mechanic.. and it did not show up for a couple weeks. and i just noticed it showed up again after i went into sand alittle.
i checked the CVT oil level and color they look fine to me. what could it be then?
Could it be something the mechanic has done to the car? cuz he's not a trustworthy person atall. he told me 2 of my engine mounts need replacing and i paid for them turned out he only has changed one. so makes me think he di something to the CVT too... As i remember he asked how many miles /km did you drive since last cvt fluid change i said 50k. he said it needs changed then. I said it looks fine and clear... he made no comments
I'd appreciate any help or tips here.
Thank you very much for everyone who's giving their opinions
Cloud Font Communication Device Electronic device Technology
Vehicle Automotive design Font Personal luxury car Auto part

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
If you haven't already, drop the CVT pan and inspect for wear debris. Also clean the internal mesh filter. This may restore the fluid pressure, it's worth a try... Let us know what is looks like at the bottom of the pan.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you haven't already, drop the CVT pan and inspect for wear debris. Also clean the internal mesh filter. This may restore the fluid pressure, it's worth a try... Let us know what is looks like at the bottom of the pan.
can you please elaborate on that?
Whats CVT pan?
and also where is the internal mesh filter?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
You may want to search the forums here, it has been discussed numerous times... If you uncomfortable with this kind of work, consult a mechanic to perform the work.

Check out this video. It's for a 3rd gen, but the work is much the same:

You can find the service manual here:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You may want to search the forums here, it has been discussed numerous times... If you uncomfortable with this kind of work, consult a mechanic to perform the work.

Check out this video. It's for a 3rd gen, but the work is much the same:

You can find the service manual here:

Thank you.
Yeah its not something i can do on my own.
I need to return the car to the mechanic who worked on it, to see what has he done that this DTC came up. Do you think maybe he changed a part? like "Pressure control solenoid valve A or B"? ( i just read it in the service manual youve sent me)
According to the manual its either those solenoids. or fluid pressure sensor .
What do you think?
Thanks for your time

·
Administrator
9,657 Posts
thanks for replying. But mine says 4wd. the button in mid console its written 4wd lock... also the light comes on shows as 4wd. it was one of my questions before that whats the difference between 4wd and awd. i can take a pic and will add in a few
thanks
Labeling is cheap; building real 4WD is not. What that button says is most meaningful to the marketing crew that came up with it, not to someone who wants to use the vehicle like a real 4WD. The origin of the AWD system in the Murano is well documented, and it's essentially an Altima with a crossover body.

AWD vs. 4WD: https://www.carmax.com/articles/awd-vs-4wd-which-to-choose

And for those with similar experience to mine - in which my transfer case split in half while engaged in normal low-stress on-street driving - the fact that the Murano is NOT an off-road vehicle is very clear and very well documented by years of posts on this forum.

But it's your vehicle. Take it wherever you want and be ready to pay for any repairs resulting.

·
Registered
246 Posts
To use just the rear axle only, you would have to weld up the differential gears in the CVT, remove both front CV shafts, and lock up the clutch system for the rear axle. Yeah a ton of work to do for just an experiment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts