Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Murano has 118,000 miles on her. It has the 3.5 engine and AWD. We have changed tires, oil and filter several times, had brakes replaced and intake air filter replaced several times. I think it's time for a tune up.

What do I need? Plugs, sure, but wires too? Is there anything else that a relative novice should get? What about transmission fluid? Radiator fluid?

Also, how do you change the incabin filter? Where is it located?

Thanx in advance for any suggestions.

Chadrock

·
5,244 Posts
Wow! That's a lot of miles!

I would change:
- oil and filter
- CVT fluid
- cooling fluid
- brakes fluid
- power steerirng fluyid
- sparkplugs (wires should be OK)
- air filter
- in-cabin filter (for location search this forum)
- transfer case and differential oil
- both belts

And of course there are many inspections.......

Hope it helps.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I don't know about power steering fluid, but I agree with everything else on that list.

Oh and I would give it an "Idle Air Volume Relearn" if you're taking it to a dealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More on tuneups, etc.

I was actually considering doing a lot of this myself. I have a lot of time this summer (teachers, you know) and I want to be a fixer upper as well as a house husband. So, I can do the spark plugs, coolant and filters, but the rest of this stuff is probably "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" type of thing for me.

Thanx again for the info.

Chadrock

·
5,244 Posts
Chadrock

except spark plugs everything on the list is relatively simple. And I would encourage you to do it.

Spark plugs - the access is rather difficult (or that is what I am told).

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Chadrock-

Do you have a Service Manual? If not I would definitely buy one. You can download it on-line for something like $25. It is well worth it if you plan on changing the plugs and doing other service. (I believe the rear plugs are not accessible without removing part of the cowling.)

Have fun.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yeah like everyone here has been mentioning, the rear bank of spark plugs on the Murano require you to remove the air intake manifold plenum that is blocking it - its a lot of work. The Murano has no spark plug wires since it uses direct ignition coils (i.e. no distributor).

The best link I've found on how-to for spark plugs on the Nissan 3.5L engine (transversely mounted FWD) is here:

http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Garage/2002MaxSE/SparkPlugReplacement.htm

Its for the Maxima but should be identical for the Murano.

·
5,244 Posts
Eric,
this is a good find. I have downloaded entire instructions and pdf it. It may come handy one day....;)

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Belts

Belt(s)... 50,000 miles
Help, I was told by the service guy that I needed to change the belt for around $109.00 as it has a crack. Is it time to change the belt and are there two ore just one????:(

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Belts

ChrisWard said:
Belt(s)... 50,000 miles
Help, I was told by the service guy that I needed to change the belt for around $109.00 as it has a crack. Is it time to change the belt and are there two ore just one????:(
While 50,000 miles is a little early, its not impossible for the belt to show wear. There are two accessory "serpentine" belts - get them both changed at once.

·
5,244 Posts
As Eric said there are two belts. Changing one of them does not make much sense as they are relatively cheap. This is the labor that is a killer. So change them both.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Re: Belts

ChrisWard said:
Chris,

This is why it is beneficial to have an honest and trustworthy mechanic instead of a revenue-driven schmuck at a dealership.

A crack in a serpentine or ribbed belt does not indicate that failure is immanent. According to Gates, one of the largest manufacturer of automotive belts, if more than three cracks per inch are evident on the grooved underside of the belt, more than 80% of its service life is gone, and replacement should be considered. Gates engineers recommend inspection at 60,000 miles and changing serpentine belts every four years, regardless of appearance. A single crack, or a few cracks around the belt does not warrant replacement.

The MO has two belts. The shorter one powers the power steering pump, while the longer one handles the alternator and the A/C.

-njjoe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chadrock said:
My 2003 Murano has 118,000 miles on her.

Chadrock
changing the subject a bit,

how the 118,000 miles have treat you?any problems with cvt or transfer case?
just give us a little hope on how far the cvt can last since thats the most worries about MO owners.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Just a recommendation since you are having the belts replaced.... get the old ones back. I like to keep a spare set in the car. If you ever need belts while on the road you might not be able to get new ones quickly. At least you have a set to get you home.

·
5,244 Posts
Gonzo said:
Just a recommendation since you are having the belts replaced.... get the old ones back. I like to keep a spare set in the car. If you ever need belts while on the road you might not be able to get new ones quickly. At least you have a set to get you home.
Wow! Gonzo this is a good idea! Never thought about it....

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
5,244 Posts
Gonzo said:
(No no, there is an "O" in Gonzo, genttlemen)
Fixed......sorry about it..

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
thanks but you didn't have to go through all that.... I kind of like the sound of Ginzo. Its like Gonzo and Gizmo all rolled together.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I always have kept my old belts for spares.... have never used one, but it was there. Too bad Nissan continues to use a 1960's type of idler pulley adjustment; as I have said on other threads, even my wife's Hyundai has a spring tensioner you merely pull back with a 3/8ths rachet to drop the belt and once again to mount the new one.
I think the belt tensioner adjustment and the bracket have caused the failures we have seen from over zealous tony torque mechanics.
If they had a spring mounted one-- zero failures. Of course, they wouldn't get their $100 to $150 profit for changing the belts either.

:twak:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts