Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a complimentary to "Show us your pets" topic.... :)

We're getting a dog this spring. SO i was wondering what is the best way to take your pet with you for a ride. My MO has cloth seats, you know....

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I guess it is not that much of a problem for me. They sit on my shoulder.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice and secure this way...

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
uuuuuuhhh

:(

·
Registered
276 Posts
This is like starting out with Trivial Pursuit and ending up with Hollywood Squares.

We are just being funny/silly. When I transport my precious babies to the vet as a group over long distance, they go into a cage. The cage/carrier (depending on quantity of animals) and are secured on the floor or strapped into the backseat with the seatbelt.

I can't imagine transporting dogs in anything but a special carrier to keep them contained and protected.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, I was just kidding around...I use a plastic cage so my pet is secure and not flinging around in the back of the car.

Aaron

·
Registered
278 Posts
I always use a crate for the cat. But, the dog gets the seatbelt harness.

Put the harness on the dog. Slip the seatbelt through the strap and pull the belt out until the retractor locks. Works great, except in the Sebring convertible. It has no locking retractors in the back seat.

I got the harness at one of the locally owned pet supply shops. Drs. Foster and Smith has them, too.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Rent a Truck

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
MO Dale said:

Put the harness on the dog. Slip the seatbelt through the strap and pull the belt out until the retractor locks. Works great, except in the Sebring convertible. It has no locking retractors in the back seat.

I got the harness at one of the locally owned pet supply shops. Drs. Foster and Smith has them, too.
Hi Dale, I have the harness similar to the one that you show here but with an additional seatbelt clip that can attach to the seatbelt. The one problem I have is once I snap into the seatbelt, it is really difficult to release it (Don't know why). I have to leave it there (middle one in the back seat) sort of permanently. I currently driving a Volvo S60 and is wondering if I can use the cargo area to put the dog once I get a MO. Is there anywhere I can clip onto at the cargo area if I use the harness? Would you recommend installing the pet guard divider if you have the harness already?

Thanks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
chimpanzee said:
Hi Dale, I have the harness similar to the one that you show here but with an additional seatbelt clip that can attach to the seatbelt. The one problem I have is once I snap into the seatbelt, it is really difficult to release it (Don't know why). I have to leave it there (middle one in the back seat) sort of permanently. I currently driving a Volvo S60 and is wondering if I can use the cargo area to put the dog once I get a MO. Is there anywhere I can clip onto at the cargo area if I use the harness? Would you recommend installing the pet guard divider if you have the harness already?

Thanks.
Hi, Chimpanzee!

Is this the lead you're talking about? What a neat device. This fixes my problem with the convertible's seat belts not locking. I can even see hooking it in and have the dog in the cargo area whether the seats are up or down. Found it and more at FuturePets.com. Found another one at DoggieCatcher.com.

There are cargo tie downs in the floor. They seem pretty strong, but i think they're just heavy plastic. I guess it depends on a dog's weight as to how much I'd trust them. Threading the seatbelt lead between the seats would be better in my opinion. Used in combination with your harness and a divider would be that much safer.

Check the Installation of Pet Divider and Pet Guard Photos threads about what others have to say. I decided against the divider simply due to the hassle of removal and storage. I have to haul stuff more often than the dog.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Homemade pet divider:

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
Or when a crate is also needed:

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
MO Dale said:

Hi, Chimpanzee!

Is this the lead you're talking about? What a neat device. This fixes my problem with the convertible's seat belts not locking. I can even see hooking it in and have the dog in the cargo area whether the seats are up or down. Found it and more at FuturePets.com. Found another one at DoggieCatcher.com.

There are cargo tie downs in the floor. They seem pretty strong, but i think they're just heavy plastic. I guess it depends on a dog's weight as to how much I'd trust them. Threading the seatbelt lead between the seats would be better in my opinion. Used in combination with your harness and a divider would be that much safer.

Check the Installation of Pet Divider and Pet Guard Photos threads about what others have to say. I decided against the divider simply due to the hassle of removal and storage. I have to haul stuff more often than the dog.
Yes Dale, this is exactly what I have. Actually I got it from a pet store while I was in the States. Thanks for the threads on Pet guard. Once get this sorted out, the next thing would be to find a way to haul the dog up to the storage area. Currently, I have to sort of put his front paws up on the back seat and lift his hind legs into it. Don't think I can do that with the height of the MO though.

·
Registered
278 Posts
chimpanzee said:
Yes Dale, this is exactly what I have. Actually I got it from a pet store while I was in the States. Thanks for the threads on Pet guard. Once get this sorted out, the next thing would be to find a way to haul the dog up to the storage area. Currently, I have to sort of put his front paws up on the back seat and lift his hind legs into it. Don't think I can do that with the height of the MO though.
Chimp, maybe a ramp would help. It'd be more to carry, but it would save your back and be easier on your pet, too.

Found the TwiStep for anybody that has a hitch. Might even be handy for washing/waxing the back part of the roof.

Please share a picture of your pooch in the Show Us Your Pets thread.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MO Dale said:

i wonder if dogs feel comfortable wearing those belts....?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had a simliar type harness for my beagle, but she was not comfortable in it. She did the three circle thing before laying down, and she definitely didn't have the flexibility to do that in the harness (would get all tied up in the harness and seat belt if she tried to turn around.)

When I got the MO, I made up a spot for her in the cargo area. A couple of towles (to try and prevent the dog hair from getting everywhere) and her favorite pillow. No harness or anything, so not that safe if you like that type of thing, but it worked for us... Since she had always ridden up front with me in the Accord Coupe (passenger side of course!), she hated the back at first... I just couldn't ever come to letting her sit up front in the MO.

Wish I would have known about that nifty seat belt extension lead. Looks super neat and would have solved the problem of not strapping her to something.

She hated the windows down, so I never had to worry about her sticking her head out or anything...

Lil' Bit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rusty, my 7.5 pound MinPin always rides with his safety belt on, in the back seat, diagonal from the driver's seat so he can see me. I used to let him ride in my lap, until my TL got totaled. He wasn't with me, thankfully, but after that, I always belt him in. I loved having him ride in my lap, or across my shoulders, like the perfect little angel he is, and I'm sure that would be his preference, but it gives me peace of mind that he's belted securely in, and he usually lays right down. I got my seat belt at Petco.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts