Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always thought my Murano's sunroof should open a couple inches farther than it does. But, I also thought maybe it was a Nissan thing, since an '04 Maxima I test drove seemed to be the same way in that it opened a similar distance. Odd, I thought, but a sunroof is a necessity to me and I fell in love with the MO in about 5 minutes after six months of looking at all sorts of cars. I previously had a '95 Camry. Its sunroof slid back within probably a half-inch of the openings rear edge.

Here's as far back as she goes.

Inside - I'd think it would slide back as far as the sunshade.

Then I found a Murano pictured on eBay with sunroof open. It's obvious that it opens further.

So, how far does your sunroof open?

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
Mine opens as far as yours does...interesting...anyone else?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Mine is the same as the gold as well...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine opens just like yours, almost 4.5" left that does not go inside the roof.

·
Registered
541 Posts
mine opens like yours dale. it bothers me that it does not open further also. What model year does everyone have, maybe there is a difference between the 03 and 04. Mines an 04.

·
Registered
541 Posts
sorry I see now that everyones model year is posted and that does not seem to make a difference so that is strange that some would be different.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine opens as far as the gold one too!

I wonder if someone could make this a poll? (just curious what the numbers are)
I agree with taking it to the dealer and having it checked out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine opens like the gold one. I know the dealer can make an adjustment. I had to bring mine in cuz it lost it's "memory". It wouldn't close all the way or open. A minor adjustment and it was good as new.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sunroof

Here are the initialization instructions from the manual. I don't know if it will help or not, but it might be worth a try.

INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE
If the sunroof does not close or open automatically, use the following procedure to return sunroof operation to
normal.
1. Close the sunroof if it is not in the closed position. It may be necessary to repeatedly push the switch to
close the sunroof.
2. Press and hold the TILT UP switch. Do not release the switch, keep pressure on it. After 10 seconds of
depressing, the sunroof will tilt up, then tilt down. Release the button.
3. Press and hold the TILT UP switch again. Do not release the switch, keep pressure on it. While depressing
the switch, the sunroof will "Slide open" "Slide close" "Tilt up" "Tilt down". Release the button after the
sunroof "Tilts down" and stops.
4. Initializing procedure is complete. Confirm proper operation of the sunroof (slide open, slide close, tilt up,
tilt down.)

Regards,
Chuck Lane

·
Registered
717 Posts
Re: Sunroof

clane47 said:
Here are the initialization instructions from the manual. I don't know if it will help or not, but it might be worth a try.

INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE
If the sunroof does not close or open automatically, use the following procedure to return sunroof operation to
normal.
1. Close the sunroof if it is not in the closed position. It may be necessary to repeatedly push the switch to
close the sunroof.
2. Press and hold the TILT UP switch. Do not release the switch, keep pressure on it. After 10 seconds of
depressing, the sunroof will tilt up, then tilt down. Release the button.
3. Press and hold the TILT UP switch again. Do not release the switch, keep pressure on it. While depressing
the switch, the sunroof will "Slide open" "Slide close" "Tilt up" "Tilt down". Release the button after the
sunroof "Tilts down" and stops.
4. Initializing procedure is complete. Confirm proper operation of the sunroof (slide open, slide close, tilt up,
tilt down.)

Regards,
Chuck Lane
Nice, I'm going to try that this afternoon and see what happens on mine which opens the same as the first one pictured, not the gold one.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
Post back and let me know. I am very curious to know about this. Mine is at the dealer right now and if this works I will gladly do it myself. I definitely do not trust the place I take my car.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Sunroof opening

My roof opens up fully ( like the gold Mo) and has since I have owned it. Let us know what happen at the dealer

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info Chuck!

I had found some instructions to reset the sunroof, but it had you press and hold the tilt up switch only a single time. I did try it, to no avail. It only cycled the tilt feature. I will attempt it again with your reset info later today.

Dale

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't work!

I went out at lunch and gave the reset instructions a try. With the tilt up button held a second time, the sunroof did cycle through all it's motions. Unfortunately, it still only opens to within 4.5 inches of the rear edge.

I'm visiting the dealer for an oil change next week. So, I'll ask about it and see if there's any adjustment to be made.

Thanks to everyone for checking out your sunroofs for comparison.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Crap!! For those whose sunroofs open all the way...don't try the reset. I did and now it too only opens as far as the OP.
I destinctly remember it opened as far as the inside cover goes back.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
That sucks. After I read your post I tried to call my dealer and have them fix it while it's in there and he said that it is too late and that I should have requested it initially.

Never buy a car from West Hills Nissan in Pittsburgh, PA. They do nothing to accomodate you. I have felt like an inconvenience since I bought my Murano. Although, I do have all of the surveys that they have sent me and am much more motivated to fill them out now. :3:

·
Registered
717 Posts
My 03 leaves the same 4.5" as the first one. I ran the "reset' procedure and while it went through all the steps, just as mentioned, the results haven't changed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
4.5" when open fully.....yet, another "issue" to add to the list. :rolleyes:

I'd likely end up with a 12" portion of sunroof remaining if I took it into the clowns at the service department here. sigh.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Man! Sometimes I hate you guys!! I went and checked mine after reading this post and mine leaves the same 4.5 inches as others. :( I tried the reset and no dice there either. Since its going back to the dealer for other work (hopefully this week), I'll add that to the list. Sigh . . . wouldn't have known about it unless I frequented this list.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts