Nissan Murano Forum banner

How far does your sunroof open?

32K views 125 replies 47 participants last post by  GripperDon 
#1 ·
I've always thought my Murano's sunroof should open a couple inches farther than it does. But, I also thought maybe it was a Nissan thing, since an '04 Maxima I test drove seemed to be the same way in that it opened a similar distance. Odd, I thought, but a sunroof is a necessity to me and I fell in love with the MO in about 5 minutes after six months of looking at all sorts of cars. I previously had a '95 Camry. Its sunroof slid back within probably a half-inch of the openings rear edge.

Here's as far back as she goes.

Inside - I'd think it would slide back as far as the sunshade.

Then I found a Murano pictured on eBay with sunroof open. It's obvious that it opens further.

So, how far does your sunroof open?

See less See more
#4 ·
Mine is the same as the gold as well...

#5 ·
Mine opens just like yours, almost 4.5" left that does not go inside the roof.

#6 ·
mine opens like yours dale. it bothers me that it does not open further also. What model year does everyone have, maybe there is a difference between the 03 and 04. Mines an 04.

#7 ·
sorry I see now that everyones model year is posted and that does not seem to make a difference so that is strange that some would be different.

#10 ·
Sunroof

Here are the initialization instructions from the manual. I don't know if it will help or not, but it might be worth a try.

INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE
If the sunroof does not close or open automatically, use the following procedure to return sunroof operation to
normal.
1. Close the sunroof if it is not in the closed position. It may be necessary to repeatedly push the switch to
close the sunroof.
2. Press and hold the TILT UP switch. Do not release the switch, keep pressure on it. After 10 seconds of
depressing, the sunroof will tilt up, then tilt down. Release the button.
3. Press and hold the TILT UP switch again. Do not release the switch, keep pressure on it. While depressing
the switch, the sunroof will "Slide open" "Slide close" "Tilt up" "Tilt down". Release the button after the
sunroof "Tilts down" and stops.
4. Initializing procedure is complete. Confirm proper operation of the sunroof (slide open, slide close, tilt up,
tilt down.)

Regards,
Chuck Lane

#11 ·
Re: Sunroof

clane47 said:
Here are the initialization instructions from the manual. I don't know if it will help or not, but it might be worth a try.

INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE
If the sunroof does not close or open automatically, use the following procedure to return sunroof operation to
normal.
1. Close the sunroof if it is not in the closed position. It may be necessary to repeatedly push the switch to
close the sunroof.
2. Press and hold the TILT UP switch. Do not release the switch, keep pressure on it. After 10 seconds of
depressing, the sunroof will tilt up, then tilt down. Release the button.
3. Press and hold the TILT UP switch again. Do not release the switch, keep pressure on it. While depressing
the switch, the sunroof will "Slide open" "Slide close" "Tilt up" "Tilt down". Release the button after the
sunroof "Tilts down" and stops.
4. Initializing procedure is complete. Confirm proper operation of the sunroof (slide open, slide close, tilt up,
tilt down.)

Regards,
Chuck Lane
Nice, I'm going to try that this afternoon and see what happens on mine which opens the same as the first one pictured, not the gold one.

#12 ·
Post back and let me know. I am very curious to know about this. Mine is at the dealer right now and if this works I will gladly do it myself. I definitely do not trust the place I take my car.

#14 ·
Thanks for the info Chuck!

I had found some instructions to reset the sunroof, but it had you press and hold the tilt up switch only a single time. I did try it, to no avail. It only cycled the tilt feature. I will attempt it again with your reset info later today.

Dale

#15 ·
Didn't work!

I went out at lunch and gave the reset instructions a try. With the tilt up button held a second time, the sunroof did cycle through all it's motions. Unfortunately, it still only opens to within 4.5 inches of the rear edge.

I'm visiting the dealer for an oil change next week. So, I'll ask about it and see if there's any adjustment to be made.

Thanks to everyone for checking out your sunroofs for comparison.

#16 ·
Crap!! For those whose sunroofs open all the way...don't try the reset. I did and now it too only opens as far as the OP.
I destinctly remember it opened as far as the inside cover goes back.

#17 ·
That sucks. After I read your post I tried to call my dealer and have them fix it while it's in there and he said that it is too late and that I should have requested it initially.

Never buy a car from West Hills Nissan in Pittsburgh, PA. They do nothing to accomodate you. I have felt like an inconvenience since I bought my Murano. Although, I do have all of the surveys that they have sent me and am much more motivated to fill them out now. :3:

#19 ·
4.5" when open fully.....yet, another "issue" to add to the list. :rolleyes:

I'd likely end up with a 12" portion of sunroof remaining if I took it into the clowns at the service department here. sigh.

#20 ·
Man! Sometimes I hate you guys!! I went and checked mine after reading this post and mine leaves the same 4.5 inches as others. :( I tried the reset and no dice there either. Since its going back to the dealer for other work (hopefully this week), I'll add that to the list. Sigh . . . wouldn't have known about it unless I frequented this list.

#21 ·
Yeah, I find it funny that I've always looked at it and wondered, 'why didn't they design that to open further?" and now I've come to find out that they have and it's another thing askew on mine. Well the good thing is that they fixed my seat creaks and window rattles, hopefully the list is dying down, that is unless you guys point out something that I didn't know whas broken again! :p

#22 ·
Mine is at the dealership this morning. One of the items was the sunroof. Be interesting to see what they tell me and what the fix is. Either way I'll post the findings.

#23 ·
Be cautious when having the dealer adjust your sunroof. I had them adjust the sunroof on my 2002 Maxima since there was wind noise from it on the highway. After they adjusted it, it leaked in a carwash, and actually made more windnoise than ever.

Since the inside of the car now smells like mildew, they said that they will replace the headliner under warranty. Though I am hesitant to bring it in, since I am afraid they will break something else.

In the meantime, I figured out how to adjust the Max sunroof myself, and in 10 minutes I had it all fixed, and now no wind noise and no leak.

My 04 Murano opens like most of your's, with 4.5 inches to spare.

Andy

#24 ·
Mine (an 04) also doesn't open all the way. We may be looking at this wrong though since there ar e so many that seem to work this way. It seems more likely that the ones that are opening much further may have a bad limit switch. It'll be interesting to see what the dealer says for some of you trying to have this fixed.

Regards,
Chuck Lane

#25 ·
is it possible that nissan changed sunroof supplier at some point during production? not sure whether they manufacture the sunroof themselves or contract from another company like I know some auto manufacturers do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.