Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody asked me an interesting question today:

In light of the Mo having this new-fangled CVT transmission with infinite gear ratios, how fast can it go in reverse?

One for the engineers I think, or someone with a lot of space and a radar gun!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I might be wrong, but my guess is that reverse is programmed to be one fixed ratio. It is an interesting thought though, since technically the CVT should be able to go reverse at all ratios as well!

·
4,601 Posts
Yeah, I'd expect the same thing. Having a vehicle that can do 100 MPH backwards would make their room full of lawyers sweat...

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a lease car and a 600 acre concrete paved storage yard. Anyone want to sponsor me in the name of science? Video CD's of the "experiment" to all who contribute to my new CVT! :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
World record is a meager 102.8 Mph set by a Caterham 7 like a Lotus super 7 with a Honda CBR 1100CC engine. these things will do 0-60 in 3.23

Something to keep in mind is that all that down force engineers build into vehicles to keep them on the road at hi speed turns into lift when you turn them around.....Not Good

·
Registered
717 Posts
OK, so I thought about this longer than I shoud have. How's the speedometer going to tell you how fast your going in reverse?:eek:

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the butt marks in the seat may give you a good idea of your speed!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I sometime back up on my driveway which is pretty steep. It does not go up too well. RPM goes up but seems like gear ratio does not go down to cover the load. it seems like fixed ratio for reverse.

·
5,244 Posts
dklanecky1 said:
OK, so I thought about this longer than I shoud have. How's the speedometer going to tell you how fast your going in reverse?:eek:

Actually it is not a problem.......it shows correct speed........in reverse of course.......

I have checked it:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ah! But does the odometer go backwards of forwards? Could this be the answer to untimely mileage depreciation ....:)

·
5,244 Posts
the odometer is electronics..........it cannot go backwards.........

unless you get somebody to reprogram it..............:D

but if prom is used...........no chance............

·
Registered
78 Posts
:D We have way too much time on our hands.... ROAD TRIP !!!

·
4,601 Posts
I expect speed is calculated off generated pulses, most likely from a magnet and hall effect sensor or optical sensor, somewhere in the transmission, and the odometer distills it's count from this same source. So pulses don't care about direction, just rate.

Back in the old days, it was a mechanical linkage (e.g gears) so, depending on the design, it could actually go backwards.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'd make sure you have plenty of space on either side of the car before the experiment... because now that you are steering the effectively rear wheels, and reversing the caster things will get unstable.

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Well it sounds like fun. I might go to old airport and tried on day. I will have a full size runway for it. If I will do it I will let you know.:21:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I know mine does at least 40. That's what it felt like any way. Pretty scary at that speed too.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Lordy be careful, Steering in revers at high speed takes lots of skill, More than I have, that for sure. Don't want to wreck you or the Mo. Might be safest in the snow, Light amount spin-able but not grabby enough to flip you .

·
Registered
12 Posts
We were 25 miles into a dirt road in Lincoln county NM. I don't remember seeing another car out there all day. We went to pick pinon or pine nuts. Alot of friends admire my prowess behind the wheel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts