• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Study finds traffic congestion bad and getting worse
From USAToday: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation...-highways_x.htm

WASHINGTON (AP) — If it seems like more of your time is spent stuck in traffic, you may be right. In cities large and small, the daily struggle with bumper-to-bumper traffic is getting worse.
The average rush-hour driver wasted almost two full days — about 51 hours — sitting in traffic in 2001, according to an annual report released Tuesday by the Texas Transportation Institute at Texas A&M University. That's an increase of four hours in the last five years.

The price tag: $69.5 billion in wasted time and gas, said the study, which looked at 75 urban areas.

In response to criticism about its earlier studies, the institute for the first time factored in improvements that cities are making, such as traffic light coordination and ramp metering, as well as the benefits of public transportation, Lomax said.

Data from the Federal Highway Administration and information from various state and local agencies was analyzed by the researchers to come up with the rankings.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
ALTHOUGH i begin work at 5:30, i goto the gym (again at 5:30) 3 weekdays a week......

so i guess thasa commute, or kinda like one... (still, the roads are 100% vacant)...

hell, at this rate (almost 600 miles in over 3 weeks) it'll be forever before the synthetic motor oil change!!

·
5,268 Posts
Interesting data. Here in North Atlanta, I commute 15 miles one way. It takes me anything between 20 min to 1 hr. My frequent trips to the airport (45 miles) take again 1 hr to 1 hr 40 min. It seems to me that traffic is getting worse every day.

I thought that traffic in some European and Asian cities was bad. But after living in North Atlanta for a few years I changed my opinion. LA, Dallas, Chicago – nothing beats Atlanta. And that’s a fact. Shame to waste MO for traffic like that.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Kris said:
Interesting data. Here in North Atlanta, I commute 15 miles one way. It takes me anything between 20 min to 1 hr. My frequent trips to the airport (45 miles) take again 1 hr to 1 hr 40 min. It seems to me that traffic is getting worse every day.

I thought that traffic in some European and Asian cities was bad. But after living in North Atlanta for a few years I changed my opinion. LA, Dallas, Chicago – nothing beats Atlanta. And that’s a fact. Shame to waste MO for traffic like that.

hey K-

c'mon down to florida!! specifically, pinellas county (most populated counted in FL) during tourist season........

absolute nightmare!!!

but, we swim during christmas, outdoors......... (tradeoff, i guess)

-S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts