Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it differs from person to person but wanted to take a general opinion from experienced car gurus :)
1. How long should I keep the car ? Bought 5 years back for $36000 .Paid off and drove 40 k miles so far
2. How is the resale value considering 8 K miles every year assuming car remains in today's condition ( pretty good)
3. Got transmission changed under warranty at 30k miles and have the extended warranty (free given by Nissan directly when i had the transmission issue ) uptill 7 years/100K Miles. hence planning to keep the car at least 2 more years assuming resale price doesn't goes down further. I am getting $18-20K today as resale value.

Thanks guys in advance :)
SJ- Murano SV 2015|40K Miles|Pearl white

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi, you don't say whether your Murano is FWD or AWD or your location which impacts resale value. The best thing I can suggest is to check Kelly Blue Book for your specific model and location. You might also have your dealer give you a trade evaluation, which is a good indicator to what you would get for it on trade. Use the two figures to come to an average. If you plan to sell it privately the resale will be higher but you'll have added work involved. Your estimate of 18-20k today sounds high to me, but like I said there is some information missing.

Cars depreciate at a slower pace the older they get. (it will depreciate a little more if the model is completely redesigned at some point) If you are covered by extended warranty, like the car and aren't inclined to want a new one, then keep it at least until your warranty expires. You may decide to keep it longer. It's a personal choice. Many people keep their cars a very long time and some like new every 3 years, which is why leasing is popular.

The choice is yours.....

·
Registered
219 Posts
If I were you and driving 8K a year, i would really put all numbers in Excel.

Low miles lease vs long term keeping a car.
With 36 months lease you have all covered and maintenance cost is extremely low, no new tires.
Vs ling term where car depreciation plus hight maintenance cost as older it gets. I did it and I was surprised with results. Just put all, I mean all numbers including wipers cost. Every little detail what you spend on car.

Im afraid your traid-in value is around 15K, but as earlier stated some info is missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys , I used KBB only and got the range of $18k-$20K (private party, very good , with premium package , FWD in bayarea, CA). With current calculation , my car will go around 56,000 miles before extended warranty expires. I guess that would be good time to sell it assuming maintenance cost will start popping up after 60 k service . I guess if i don't sell that time , i will keep it for longer duration.

·
Super Moderator
7,719 Posts
I don't see any point in selling before you hit 100K miles. The vehicle should be sound and reliable past that mileage. Keep in mind that you only get your money back from a vehicle by driving it as long as it is reliable. That doesn't mean it has required no repairs, it means doing maintenance as needed and recognizing that repairs are a lot cheaper than trading cars. There is no reason to expect that you will run into any big ticket repairs between 60K and 100K miles, although stuff like brakes will need replaced, and somewhere around 100K miles you might have to replace alternator, starter, water pump, valve cover or other incidental stuff like that. Not cheap, but a few hundred bucks of repair bills is a great investment when you haven't had to make a car payment in 2-3 years!

To me (personal statement) resale value is never a consideration. I want to get full value out of the car, and that means driving it as far as I can trust it. I haven't sold a car with less than 100K miles on it in decades. Most have had 130K miles or more and drove very well, I just decided that since I drive a couple of 1000-mile round trips every year that I would move into something newer.

I just bought a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 88,000 almost entirely highway miles, which I consider the equivalent of only about 30K miles of general use driving. I plan to drive it to at least 150,000 miles. Our last Grand Cherokee (a 2000 model) had been maintained well before we bought it at more than 160,000 miles, and ran great at 186,000 miles when we sold it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Piligrim, this is exactly I was looking for. I was confused over to sell it around 60 k miles or to keep it untill 100 K. Few hundred bucks of repair bills is surely acceptable as compared to making a new car payment :). Plus you never know how the car market will shape up by that time given plethora of electric options coming up ( totally a separate topic though) .. Thanks again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been driving my 15 murano without any issues upto 100k where the transmission failed. I havent had to do much except change oil, tires, filters and brakes

·
Registered
6 Posts
You need to verify with the dealer in the start and end dates of the extended warranty. Agencies always have some fine prints and can be tricky when you go for claim. I have heard cases where it is valid for 7 years or 100k miles whichever is earlier. 7 years from when ?? The original purchase date or replacement date ??
Also, what is covered in the warranty ?
There are lot of specifics involved. Suggest you get this clarified.

You may be running out of warranty soon if it is from the original purchase date.
Murano transmission replacements are notorious for issues as is evident from the numerous posts in the forum.
Just be cautious and not get complacent 😊

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You need to verify with the dealer in the start and end dates of the extended warranty. Agencies always have some fine prints and can be tricky when you go for claim. I have heard cases where it is valid for 7 years or 100k miles whichever is earlier. 7 years from when ?? The original purchase date or replacement date ??
Also, what is covered in the warranty ?
There are lot of specifics involved. Suggest you get this clarified.

You may be running out of warranty soon if it is from the original purchase date.
Murano transmission replacements are notorious for issues as is evident from the numerous posts in the forum.
Just be cautious and not get complacent 😊
Thank you for being thoughtful.
I am aware of extended warranty dates. Its 7 years from purchase date so yes i have 2 extra years only, its a gold preferred security plus which covers nearly all major components including transmission/ engine. Complacent..On the contrary,I was unlucky to have transmission issue on my car just next day of 3 years warranty expiration.

Not sure , if transmission can give problem again in future when its already been replaced once.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thank you for being thoughtful.
I am aware of extended warranty dates. Its 7 years from purchase date so yes i have 2 extra years only, its a gold preferred security plus which covers nearly all major components including transmission/ engine. Complacent..On the contrary,I was unlucky to have transmission issue on my car just next day of 3 years warranty expiration.

Not sure , if transmission can give problem again in future when its already been replaced once.
I also bought that Nissan Gold warranty. Never thought I would buy one but I got that judder issue with about 38K miles on the car and it scared the crap out of me. I could not imagine owning a car and making payments on it and a big ticket item like the transmission needing to be replaced. I at least want to have the thing paid off before anything big like that comes up. I had to have the valve body replaced under warranty and I have not experienced the issue since then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts