Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched to synthetic (mobil 1) at the first maint interval, 3750 miles. I'm at 9000 miles now and still running the same synthetic and oil filter... time to change? I know synth runs a lot longer but I've been thinking it is a good time to change. Just to be careful.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I like to go 10,000 miles between changes with synthetic. If you go sooner than that way not just use the dyno oil? My last vehicle was a '95 Pathfinder that I used Castro Synthetic and I changed it about ever 10-15k, whether it needed it or not, and it was running great at 175k miles when I traded it in. It didn't burn oil, unlike my Yukon XL that burns a quart every 2-3k. All the research I did pointed to the oil filter needing to be replaced before the oil needs to be. I have not tried this but I have read a number of articles.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I change synthetic (Mobile One 5-30) at every 5,000 miles as this matches up nicely with the scheduled maintenance stops for the Murano.

You can go out further, but I'd be somewhat concerned about the filter's ability to flow clearly beyond 7,500. It has to be getting clogged with debris as it ages.

I suppose that if you changed the filter at 5,000, you could go out to 10,000.......

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
dklanecky1 said:
I change synthetic (Mobile One 5-30) at every 5,000 miles as this matches up nicely with the scheduled maintenance stops for the Murano.

You can go out further, but I'd be somewhat concerned about the filter's ability to flow clearly beyond 7,500. It has to be getting clogged with debris as it ages.

I suppose that if you changed the filter at 5,000, you could go out to 10,000.......
i agree with DKlanecky1 here.........

its not necessarily the oil that is weakened here, but rahter the overall ability of the filter.......

i stick to oem (only) filters (with synthetic oil) and recommend changing at 5K (or 6KMAX) regardless of any recomendations of longer life.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can run synth for up to 25k. You should change the filter every 3-5k and just add a quart with each filter.

Changing synth every 5k is a waste of money.

Just my two cents.

:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did a lot of reading before switching to synthetic and one item I kept reading was that the synthetic oil doesn't break down as much as dyno oil when water is present, a byproduct of combustion and the cool down in the engine. Oxidation of the organic compounds in the oil is what creates the most junk needing to be filtered if the car is running good and the rings are seated properly. The synthetic oil stays cleaner longer and you filter should not be clogging at 3-5k. Some synthetic manufacturers say change the filter at 8-10k and the oil at 15-20k. I have not tried this yet, I am still a little skeptical.:confused:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I run Mobil 1 in the Typhoon. I change it every 3K miles. 115K miles on a performance engine isn't bad :)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Seeing how 5000 miles for conventional motor oil is perfectly reasonable (unless you only drive short trips in the city), 7500 for synthetic would be fine. I remember tracking the oil analyses on the Maxima BBS and they pretty much indicated that the conventional oil should be changed at 5k, synthetic around 7-8k. But then I think those Maxima BBS people drove their Maximas a lot harder than we drive our Muranos.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I had an oil analysis run on my used Mobile One Oil (from my 00 Maxima SE) that has had 135,000 miles on it (the car). I switched to synthetic at 10,000 miles.

The analysis showed that at 5,300 miles of use, I still had room to go but the analysis suggested going to 7,000 miles on the next change. (That's with the stock filter also going 5,300 miles.)

I have a PDF report that I'll share, if anyone is interested in seeing what it looks like and what they show about the remaining mineral/metal content of your used oil. It also shows what's left of your additives and apparently that's the critical part to monitor.

The company I used is Blackstone Laboratories and they charge something like $25 for a complete analysis.

It's kind of cool, but probably not necessary on a regular basis.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Being a "synth virgin," can someone tell me if there will be other gains (other than the obvious) in going to synth? Better fuel mileage, for example? The dealer gave me 4 free oil changes and I'm thinking of going synth afterwards but I've no previous experience with it. BTW, this thread has been really helpful. Thanx to all for their input.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
thecanuck said:
Being a "synth virgin," can someone tell me if there will be other gains (other than the obvious) in going to synth? Better fuel mileage, for example? The dealer gave me 4 free oil changes and I'm thinking of going synth afterwards but I've no previous experience with it. BTW, this thread has been really helpful. Thanx to all for their input.
I doubt you will notice any significant changes if you go to synthetic. While it is proven that synthetics are better than conventional, it is also true that if you change a conventional oil regularly, your car should go 100,000 or even 200,000 miles without any issues. Hey if thousands of Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissans can go 200,000 miles on conventional oil with their now outdated engines, I think a modern marvel like the VQ35 can do it too. So, while I use synthetic, I do it more for the peace of mind knowing I have that extra measure of protection over conventional, even if I don't really absolutely need it. Its also a way for me to justify not taking my car to the dealer. For the same price I can do my own oil change with better oil.

I think the only advantage to switching to synthetic you will see is that you can probably double your oil change intervals, since technically a synthetic oil never wears out, it just gets dirty. Just make sure you change your oil filter as often as you normally would using conventional oil though.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm currently running Amsoil 0w-30, but I will go with the 5w-30 with the next oil change. I did a little research and the differences between the 0w and 5w-30 didn't seem to justify the increase in cost for the 0w. In any event, I am changing my synthetics here in Las Vegas every 7,500 miles. Given it is a dusty climate 9 out of 12 months of the year, I don't want to run any longer than this. I could get an oil analysis done, but at $20, I figure I might as well change it at that point instead. Oh, also using the Amsoil oil filter as well.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, thanks for the help guys. I'll actually change out the oil and the filter this weekend, they've both gone long enough.

What is the Nissan stock filter rated for, mileage wise? I'm kinda worried about it... it's been in for a while.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Despite how long synthetics can go and despite the fact that the Nissan filter can "probably" last just as long (It's awfully small tho) I look at this not from a technical point of view, I look at it from a business point of view.
IF there is a massive engine failure (I know that the chances of this are slim, but I would bet that it happens to some Nissan engines every year) I do not want to be in the position of fighting a warranty claim.
So until this guy is out of warranty, I will do everything by the book.

Yes, I thourougly believe that Syn is better than Dino juice.
I will run Syn once the car is thoroughly broken in. That should be at the second oil change. I will continue to run the Nissan oil filter as this is likely an engineered system that will maintain the proper oil pressure.

Just my .02 cents. ;)

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I doubt there will be an issue with the warranty claim if you have changed your oil and filter every 7500 miles (per the maintanance schedule) regardless of the oil you use (provided it is the API approved grade and type). They key is documentation if you go to a shop or the dealer for service, and parts receipts if you do your own maintenance. However, a trained technician should be able to tell whether a car has been poorly maintained, unless there is a technical defect in the design of the vehicle (such as Toyota's sludge problem).

As for whether extending change intervals damages the engine, that is an interesting question. Edmunds.com does long term tests of vehicles and other than the Ferrari and 350Z they are testing, they perform maintenance on all their other vehicles according to the "normal" interval. The long term Altima V6 they tested had oil changes every 7500 miles, and it seemed to do just fine. They do put a lot of miles on their cars though, and a lot of it might have been highway roadtrip miles, which is pretty easy on the engine and does allow you to extend change intervals.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yeah you are definately right about the warranty thing and fighting it. I have been researching Amsoil for a while and there isn't a case where a dealer won by trying to deny a warranty claim. Amsoil actually helps the consumer out as well, if this kind of case develops. This is the main reason why I only let the synthetic run 7,500 miles in my car, as opposed to the 35,000 that Amsoil says--I guess it's a good "inbetween" point:confused:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanx to all for the info. Given all the pluses and minuses, I think I'm going to look at Castrol synth when my free oil changes are done. Any opinions out there on the Castrol synth? I just recently was told that Valvoline oils, much to my surprise, were crap.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Who told you that? Valvoline and Castrol are in the same stock class with each other---all their properties are almost the same. Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline, and Royal Purple are in a class higher and are generally the best synthetic oils. Unless you are a synthetic freak and worry about a wear scar difference of .005", any of the aforementioned oils should work just fine. If you use Mobil 1, make sure to spend the extra $ to get the Mobil 1 filter. I wouldn't recommend using Fram for extended drain intervals. Every car is different. Just because my Murano can go 25,000 on one oil change doesn't mean the next one can. It's all about oil analysis and what the outcome is. Your engine could be at it's best shape, but if there is a small leak in a vacuum hose, and it's sucking up dirt, your silicon content could be through the roof in less than 5,000 miles. The balancing act is whether or not you want to spend the money on oil analysis. Usually, they run $20 or so dollars. I choose to just change my oil every 6,000 miles---double the normal dino oil life of 3,000. This way you can still save some money and have better protection, especially in the cold climates.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have run Mobil 1 from my first car at 16, a Porche 944, to my last vehicle, a 2002 4runner that was sadly totalled.
Something I do to all my vehicles is change to a K&N air filter(TRD with the 4runner) It usually pays for itself in gas mileage savings due to increased air flow, and running synthetic for obvious "smoother" running engine also translating to "possible" better gas mileage but also a cleaner running engine.
I was also a double ASE Master Certified mechanic when I was younger(heavy equip, and automotive) and I change my oil at regular intervals to adhere to warranty clauses. Nothing worse than getting an engine that what finished on a Friday afternoon, and they blame it on your maintainance issues.

Another thing people sometimes forget about during maintanance issues is to get your Brake fluid changed every 2 years, or what your book says. Brake fluid attracts water. Water or dirty brake fluid is detrimental to your ABS system. And in case you have never had to replace an ABS unit, they are extremely expensive, not to mention dangerous if things don't work when you need them most.
Same with transmision fluid. Get that changed, along with the filter as recommended by the manufacturer. Especially with this new CVT transmission, I wouldn't skip on this.

Just my .02 Cause when it comes to money, they will look for any way out in my opinion.

Chez

1 - 20 of 27 Posts