Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I was driving back from the White Mts. in NH... doing about 75-80 MPH (boy where there a lot of speed traps in NH up 93... Look OUT!) Anyhow, even at that speed I got 20.25 MPG in "hilly" terrain. However I didn't start with a full tank and based on my calc I could have gotten home with about 1-2 gallons to spare...

At any rate about 8 miles before getting home, with the needle on "E", the low fuel light on, just starting to hit stop and go traffic the fuel calc computer which was giving me 30 miles to empty just dropped to 2.9 with the traffic, so I chickened out and stopped for gas.

The MO was thirsty and took 20.25 gallons! Turns out I could have made it home but not by much.

How low have you gone with yours?

In my experience the low fuel warning light comes one with about 1.5 - 2 gallons remaining... what has your experience been?

·
Registered
92 Posts
We've actually gone about 7 or 8 miles after the estimated miles dissapeared and turned into a little *. Boy was I sweating! The wife remained cool & calm as always, saying " dont worry, we have plenty of gas." But I just dont think I'll be willing to try that again, too stressful!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Probably about the lowest you can go. I was all of a sudden down to about 8 miles DTE and then she went down to 1. Soon after, when I did see a gas station ahead, I was reading .5 and then an asterisk. I did make it but that's the lowest I'll ever go.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Gonzo said:
OK I was driving back from the White Mts. in NH... doing about 75-80 MPH (boy where there a lot of speed traps in NH up 93... Look OUT!) Anyhow, even at that speed I got 20.25 MPG in "hilly" terrain. However I didn't start with a full tank and based on my calc I could have gotten home with about 1-2 gallons to spare...

At any rate about 8 miles before getting home, with the needle on "E", the low fuel light on, just starting to hit stop and go traffic the fuel calc computer which was giving me 30 miles to empty just dropped to 2.9 with the traffic, so I chickened out and stopped for gas.

The MO was thirsty and took 20.25 gallons! Turns out I could have made it home but not by much.

How low have you gone with yours?

In my experience the low fuel warning light comes one with about 1.5 - 2 gallons remaining... what has your experience been?
I waited till the low fuel warning light came on and as luck would have it a gas station was just sround the corner. The full tank is supposed to be 82 Lts and my refill was 80 Lts. That is too close for comfort.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I have had it down to asterisk twice so far, each time driving at least 10 miles past it. Fillup still took less than 20 gallons so I must have had 2 gallons to spare.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dalsox, elliotgb, zebelkhan

The million dollar question is how much fuel did it take after doing that?

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Both times, fill-up took just under 20 gallons on mine. I don't know the exact number but I would say in the 19.75-19.85 gallon range.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have on a number of occasions, due to poor planing, gone 20+ miles with the low fuel light on and the asterisk showing. Most times the fill up was 19-20 gals. I have seen the DTE meter go from 29 miles to 2 during a 2-3 mile stretch. I think the computer is program to be conversative when the gauge hits a certain point. My best guess is when the light comes on you have 1.5-2 gals. left. depending on driving conditions that can mean 20-40 miles. who is willing to try it out and run her dry? just rememer to bring a full gas can with you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
rugiles said:
I think the computer is program to be conversative when the gauge hits a certain point.
I didn't know the computer was supossed to talk to you!
I have gone to asteriks twice and driven about 1miles further. Both times I was sweating it, but I just kept telling my wife to live on the edge.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Sounds like it errs on the side of conservative. Much better than everyone flaming Nissan for their computer running them out of gas.

I might ask how careful you all were to fill it all the way.

I have put over 21 gal in mine a number of times.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I usually fill up untill the auto shutoff kicks in. I suppose I could put in another 1/4 gallon after that if I really tried but that would be just short of spilling gas from the tank.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ekaxel said:
Sounds like it errs on the side of conservative. Much better than everyone flaming Nissan for their computer running them out of gas.

I might ask how careful you all were to fill it all the way.

I have put over 21 gal in mine a number of times.
Wow thats tight considering that tank holds 21.7 gallons.

·
Registered
79 Posts
noticed the rapid MTE decline also

Folks,

My wife has noticed the rapid decent from 30 DTE to single digits. Our previous car had this feature and it was pretty accurate so she was surprized.

So the total tank fill is 21.7 ish??? Thanks for the info. We'll watch next time that happens to see how much is left. I'm sure each vehicle is a little different.

Chuck - who still doesn't get to drive the Mo enough 8(

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
A coworker of mine...

told me that japanese/korean vehicles, the "empty/refill gas" light were set at a significantly conservative treshold.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I've heard that it's actually best to try to keep your tank at least 1/4 full. Something about the fact that it might be a little rough on the engine if it doesn't have at least that in the tank. Of course, that could be complete BS, or might only be for older cars, or something, but what the heck. I figured I'd mention it anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Most I ever put in was 19.7 gallons, so I guess I had 2 gallons to spare. I find the tank has between 3.5-4.0 gallons left when the gas light comes on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
From what I've always been told, you really shouldnt have less than 1/4 tank because when the gas level gets low, it makes it hard for the fuel pump to pull up the gas. And if you run your pump dry, you have a greater chance of failure. Not that I always follow this advice!:2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
It seems that the "distance to empty" computation is a joke once you get within 50 miles to empty. I've often seen it drop 2 to 3 times faster than it should once I get near the bottom of the tank. When it says about 50 miles, it's probably a reasonable (albeit conservative) estimate. After that, forget it. I've gone 30 miles on the interstate with ** showing and still put less than 21 gallons in it. I had tried to stop earlier, but a lightning storm had knocked out all the power in the area, so I chose to trust its estimate when it earlier said I had 50 miles.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not that I'm proud but do I have the record of 20.25 gallons for fuel added?

I think the DTE can change alot due to driving conditions. If you are at a constant speed I beet the DTE would not drop rapidly. But like me it was constant but after I hit stop and go it dropped. Makes sense as my millage was all over the place from stop and go.

Also a good idea to keep tank more than 1/2 full to avoid condensation.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
gone down to the asterisks once. in the mountains for that matter. luckly we were going downhill so we put the mo into neutral and let it coast down the hills. got another 20 kms on it. finally got to a gas station and it sucked up 78 L. hasn't happened again since then.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts