Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if I got a good deal on my Murano SE.
I managed to take CDN$2900 (US$2070) off the dealer price when I bought it 3 weeks ago.

How much did you truthfully manage to get discounted by the dealer?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Off MSRP

SE AWD Sheer Silver/Charcoal Leather, Popular Pkg,Cold Pkg, Dynamic Control Pkg, Navigation, Towing Pkg, Floor Mats, Splash Guards

MSRP $38,592
Invoice $34,624
Off MSRP $ 2,779
Price $35,813 +TTL
3.4% over invoice
7.2% off MSRP

Sounds like you did pretty well!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I paid $200 over Kelley Blue Book price for my 2003 SE AWD 4 days ago (could have paid $100 over invoice in Buffalo, but it's an hour and a half drive from here and the local dealer promised he would provide a free rental car if I even had to leave it in the shop... not that I got in writing or anything...:1pat: doh!)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was able to get the VPP pricing for non-Nissan employees. Ended up being about $185 under invoice plus they gave me a good deal on my trade-in compared with everyone else. CarMax had them below invoice before, but I have not seen that for a while.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback, but maybe I should rephrase the question as it looks like only dklanecky1 really understood what I was asking.

I notice many messages in this thread and others stating "below invoice". Unless its a U.S. thing I don't understand that statement.

In Canada, if you wanna buy an SE (non-navi) from a Nissan dealer in Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, the price is CDN$46,500 (MSRP). That is the retail price of the car no matter where you are in the country.

I managed to get the dealer to take C$2,900 off THAT price.

Now the dealers price from Nissan is obviously lower, say for example he gets it for (i dunno) C$42,000, that means the dealer made $1,600 profit. Good for him. I just want to know how much have others managed to take off the MSRP?

Some have said they "bought it $150 below dealer invoice." To me, that means the dealer LOST $150 what it cost him to buy the car from Nissan. That means he's going out of business real soon if he's not making any profit.

Let me rephrase my original question:

How much did you manage to take off MSRP?

·
Registered
389 Posts
In the US (California), I negotiated a deal

My deal is $650 below Invoice Price. The detalis as follows:

MSRP: $37,131
Invoice: $33,806
Negotiated Price: $33,156

In the US, we have the Invoice Price which is what the dealer pays for each vehicle "on paper." But there are "dealer holdbacks" (see Edmunds.com for an explanation of these holdbacks) that are meant to cover a dealer's advertising & promotion costs as well as other incidentals. That's how dealers can sell cars "below invoice" and still be OK. Granted they don't make a huge profit (or any at all), but they move a unit and that helps their allocation for the next model year.

Bob K.

-----------------------

'03 Murano SL AWD coming soon!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhh...ok. In Canada there is no such thing as "invoice cost" which is publicly displayed. If you can find that dealer price, then it increases your bargaining power.

It looks like the purchase game is much more complicated in the US than in Canada and there are many different prices, depending on who and where you're buying from.

In Canada, the MSRP for a completely loaded Murano SE is C$46,500 (US$33,050). The only other option is Navigation for C$3,400 more.
http://www.nissan.ca/en/vehicles/murano/config_se.asp

If you know the Dealer Cost/Invoice, then you know how low you can go. But mostly it's up to your bargaining skills to get them as low from the MSRP as possible.

So I'm wondering how low have others gone?
I got a discount of 6.2% off MSRP which is very high for an import. I've managed as high as 12% off a car from GM before.

Any Canadian stories out there?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Have you tried these sites?

Stevce, I tried looking-up Canadian invoice pricing on the net, but it appears that you'll have to pay for a subscription to view these prices. I guess the lowest price is $9.95 and the highest is $50, but it may be worth it if you can recover the price of these costs in your negotiations.

I went to this website to look for Canadian invoice pricing:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/canada.htm

Then this website suggested the following links:

http://www.carcostcanada.com/
http://www.freeinvoiceprices.com/
http://www.carinvoiceprices.ca/

I know that doesn't help much in terms of getting a real number, but maybe it's a start?

Bob K.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For those who may be interested in prices...

(location : Jersey City, NJ, USA)

MSRP: $36,229
Invoice (negotiated): $32,698
Carpoint Dealer invoice: $32,409

SL AWD with the following options: Cold Package, SL Premium Package, Dynamic Control Package, SL Leather Package, Tow Package, Sunroof, Sunroof Wind Deflector, Splash Guards, Carpeted Mats, Cargo Area Protector.

Although the guys didn't give me a cargo net which was supposed to come w/Premium Package...I need to go back and ***** at them...

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
It's "possible" that the MSRP in Canada is just the same as the MSRP in the US, with the currency conversion. Hww they would arrive at what day to use as a currency conversion rate is beyond me, however.
If that is true, then you can apply the conversion to the US invoice number and get the Canadian invoice.

Maybe.

Homer

·
Registered
76 Posts
stevce
i managed to take $2500 canadian off i thought this was a very good deal! took it off the lot right away

·
Registered
278 Posts
stevce said:
SE... I managed to take CDN$2900 (US$2070) off the dealer price when I bought it 3 weeks ago.
stevce: That is a good price. I think that the '03 discounting is beginning.

$46,500 less $2,900 = $43,600 for SE. May I ask which dealer you went to?

SL quotes (July) have been $39,500 less about $2,500 (some a bit more, some a bit less).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Currency conversion US -> Canada

It doesn't work. It is cheaper to buy in Canadian $$ than to buy in US and pay conversion.

A $30k US MO would come to over $40k CAD. In Canada, for $40k, you can get a nicely dressed AWD SL with sunroof for less than $40k (no traction, no leather, no sport suspension, no Xenon).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Canadian Dealer Margins

Sentra: about 12%
Altima: about 20%
Murano (not listed in 2003 Lemon-Aid New Car guide, because of November release), but easy to speculate that it's more in the Altima range than the Sentra range.

According to Lemon-Aid, getting half of it as a discount is possible (i.e., about 10% off of an MO).

This may become possible between now and February, either on '03s, or on 04s after the fall rush (first month or two after arrival).

Who wants a one-year-old MO with known bugs, no shiftronic, etc., if an '04 costs the same?

By December or February, Murano prices and APR could lose another couple of thousand, either in rebates or discounts ("specials")... Lower APR should be here within 5 months.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Bargain Hunter Meets Match

stevce, you did better than I did, in one sense, but...

I sold my PF privately at end of lease. The dealer did all the paperwork, including trips to inspection centre, licence bureau (twice), the buyer (50 miles away), washed it, etc., and handed me every cent of the difference between the residual (buy-back) and what I sold it for.

I had 9 tires, limo tint, 3 security systems, etc., and that's why it sold above residual.

So, the cash discount was close to yours on the MO, but if I had paid what you did, I would have paid for all that running around on the PF.

So, I'm happy, and the bottom line is fuzzy, given the circumstances.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, you got a great deal too then!

BTW, I noticed your footer and we both own the EXACT same car.
Great minds must think alike. :cool:

However, I managed to get yellow roadpaint splashed on the drivers side of my car last week as I was driving home one night. :eek:
I noticed it the next day and spent and entire morning scraping it off with my finger nails and hot water with soap. :3: I managed to get every spec off the paint and the plastic mud guards. I only left it on the top of the wheel well where you'd never see it and on the underbody. Now I have to buy black underbody paint/tar to go over the yellow. *sigh* Oh well....

I will say there was not one scratch on the paint from my scraping and rubbing. Very impressed!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Exact Same Car

That's interesting. The price, by the way, is almost exactly the same, too.

Of course, in Canada, blue SE means "exact same car" unless you take Nav (since they only come one way).

The '04 touring options in US are fairly complicated, but it's all just moving around the same options.

I decided to live with the "hard" SE ride (you know, only 10 times softer than the PF, not 12 times softer, like the SL).

After the PF, I really can't tell a difference between SE ride and SL ride... it all looks good to me.

Had to have that blue... Had to have leather, so that, a few years from now, I can say, "I had leather once and hated it. Too hot in summer."

:p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts