• Someone/somewhere changes my oil for me

Votes: 36 52.9%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Halo said:
2K on the Mobil1? They probably drained that oil and put it into their own car! What a waste. One of the main advantages of using a full synthetic is that it doesn't have to be changed as often. 2K is really too soon except maybe if you just ran the Baja 1000 twice.

Yes, I know. I was very bummed. I asked them to fix the noise and rotate the tires. Came back with oil changed, tires rotated in x pattern, gas tank shields, seat belt thingies.

And yes Gonzo, there was a very apparent difference in engine sound. I never noticed it going from dino to mobil 1, but back again, yep, I do notice it.

·
5,268 Posts
Mgthe3
So the dealer did go "beyond and above" :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
yes, wasn't that special?

They looked in their puter and said it hadn't been changed in so-in-so miles. Then, they didn't even set the maint. warning in da Mo.

Most heinous slappage is highly recommended.

;)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Re: Re: I'll try changing my own oil.

njjoe said:

GymKid-

Don't forget the copper crush washer for the oil pan bolt.

And most importantly.... GO YANKEES!!

-njjoe
Copper crush what??

O yea... and what do I do with the dirty oil? Can I put it into the empty plastic oil containers I'll end up with?

·
Registered
443 Posts
The dealer should prompt you to buy the washer for the drain bolt when you buy a filter. If not, ask for a drain bolt washer. This should be replaced each time you change the oil although some people just re-use the old pre-crushed washer. Honestly, the drain bolt isn't holding the car together, it's just there to drain the oil so as long as it doesn't get overtorqued, it won't damage the pan.

This is important: Find out about what to do with the used oil before getting started. You don't want that stuff sitting around your garage. Some gas stations will take it, some car parts stores will have a place to dump the used oil but won't take the plastic containers or the filters. My neighborhood also has used oil pickup twice a year but they prefer gallon containers. Kitty litter does a great job of soaking up spills and WD-40 is good for wiping up after.

The less contact you have with the used oil, the better so I avoid transfering it from one container to another as much as possible. There are some decent plastic drainpans that have a large mouth to catch the oil with a mesh to catch the bolt and a smaller mouth on one end to pour the oil out. I use one of those and have it inside several black garbage bags. Each time I change the oil, it gets yet another black garbage bag on the outside for the trip to Kragen where I dump my oil. The plastic containers the fresh oil came in is recyclable with whatever oil is left inside (after all, that plastic used to be oil of sorts at one time).

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I'll try changing my own oil.

TheGymKid said:

Copper crush what??
GK-

When you remove the oil pan bolt to drain the oil you will notice a flat copper washer on the shank of the bolt. This is the copper crush washer (Nissan p/n: 11026-01M02) that should be changed whenever you remove the bolt.

The washer has a "C"-shaped cross section that collapses as you tighten the bolt.

I've changed the oil twice. The first time the part's guy threw in the washer when I bought the filter, the other time it cost me $1.16.

-njjoe

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
How much does your Oil Change cost?

My dealer sent me a mailer with a "30 Minute Oil & Filter Change" coupon. The price is $26.95, which is competitive with other outfits in the area.

Regardless of the price, I will continue to change my own oil.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I'll try changing my own oil.

TheGymKid said:

Very very helpful... much appreciated.

Is 5w30 used all year round... or is it for the summer, and the 10w30 the winter per say?
Well you kind of have is backwards. 5W-30 for winter and 10W-30 for summer. However look in your owners manual. Generally speaking 5W-30 is good for all year round.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
5 Amsoil Series 2000 0W30 $42.50
Amsoil EaO36 filter $12.00

Change once a year (10-12K miles).
Amsoil warrantys the oil/filter combination for 1 yr/35000 miles

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have not changed the oil in the MO yet, but at 5K miles:

5 qt. Mobil Clean 5000 5w30 - $12
Purolator Pure1 Filter - $5
Fumoto Drain Valve - $25 (one time cost)
Total - $42

At 10K miles and every 10K thereafter:

5 qt. Mobile 1 5w30 - $24
Purolator Pure1 filter - $5
Total - $29

Satisfaction - priceless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For the last 2 years the dealer has offered 4 oil services, 10% off service and free car wash every week for 59.95. $15 each change. Why do it myself?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
For the last 2 years the dealer has offered 4 oil services, 10% off service and free car wash every week for 59.95. $15 each change. Why do it myself?
Because for a mere $15 more, you can get full synthetic oil along with a good (OEM, M1, or equivalent) filter. I assume that the $15 change gives you a Nissan filter, but I guarantee you're not getting synthetic! Plus, I consider my time too valuable to take the extra time to drive to my dealer, wait for the oil change, and then drive back home. It also helps to be able to dispose of my old oil easily in a tank dedicated just for that at my town transfer station (dump).

Another benefit of doing it yourself (in my case, twice a year) is that it provides a great opportunity to rotate your tires and (more importantly, IMHO) crawl around under your car looking things over - ie inspecting.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have not changed the oil in the MO yet, but at 5K miles:

5 qt. Mobil Clean 5000 5w30 - $12
Purolator Pure1 Filter - $5
Fumoto Drain Valve - $25 (one time cost)
Total - $42

At 10K miles and every 10K thereafter:

5 qt. Mobile 1 5w30 - $24
Purolator Pure1 filter - $5
Total - $29

Satisfaction - priceless.

Forget the "Mobil Clean 5000" ! Might mention Mobil Oil has discontinued Mobil clean 5000. Suggest you just go with Mobil 1 5W20. By the way, on a new vehicle I always do the first oil change at about 1,000 miles or maybe a tad more then move to a routine oil change schedule. Mine is every 7000 miles, full synthetic oil and a quality oil filter.

Oh, before I forget....... install your Fumoto with the included fiber gasket. Do not use a Nissan crunch washer with the fiber gasket. Do use a crunch washer instead of the fiber washer.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

I avoid dealership service departments whenever possible. High probably of a door ding, etc. while there. Your vehicle is just another unit to them and they care nothing in essence about your vehicle or you at that matter. I can do an oil change in less then 30 min. so why waste an hour to, from and there for a dealership oil change. The oil and filters I use are of far better quality then those used at the dealership. I do a better/cleaner job usually. When doing the oil change I look the vehicle over well. Often I will do tire rotation, check air pressures, add wiper fluid also. My cost for an oil change with full synthetic, quality oil and a top notch filter is under $30.00.

OHhhhh, no way I would ever let the dealer wash my vehicle! Usually with dirty wash brush, towels that are dirty and marr the finish and a car wash jerk that could care less. I even tell the dealer NOT to wash the car during pre-delivery set-up. Those that are into their vehicles avoid the dealership whenever possible/unless they have to go for warranty work. IF I do have to go I stay at the dealership and wait for it.
Dealership/stealerships suck!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Dealer. He uses Castrol synthetic, filter change, tires rotated, a quick wash, and all the coffee I can drink. Total tab comes to $44. After Lexus oil changes at $100+++ that's amazing! And the waiting room looks out over the service floor so you can see your car being taken care of.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I've always done my own oil changes. Used to use Castrol Syntec but now used Mobil1 full synthetic due to availability at the time I got my MO. Once I pick an oil, I usually stick with it. I also use the Mobil1 oil filter as well due to the anti-flowback option.

Usually spend about $30 and I'm done. My change intervals are always at 5K miles regardless of oil color.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My response is almost the same as Warhammer except that I go 7500 miles between changes...but also use the Mobil 1 5W-30 and the Mobil oil filter. That combination seems to offer the best lubrication and filtration protection I've found. I buy the Mobil 1 from WalMart for $26 for a five quart container, and paid $12 for the filter from Kragan...so my outlay for doing it myself is $38.

I priced the oil change at Nissan if I asked them to use Mobil 1 instead of their whatever-they-use oil. I was quoted a price of $80...or $30 if I used their brand of oil. They charge $8.20 per quart for the Mobil 1. Sort of pays to shop around doesn't it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oil changes

All good reasons except for the "price to aggravation ratio". With the aggravation of having to collect the oil and transport it somewhere then the dealer is the place to go. They do not take long, I can drop it off on the way to work, they take me to work and pick me up. I get it back washed. They have never dinged the doors or scratched the car. I used to change my own oil, it always took longer than going to the dealer, plus getting grease all over my arms and hands laying under the car, spills on the garage floor, dirty rags to take care of, recycle the oil, getting the oil filters off, making sure you have the oil and filter, etc. With that ratio then $15 is great. ;-):29:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Greg: I can't disagree with your logic. I'm 70 now, and used to be a Porsche guy...built and modified my cars, did the maintenance, and really liked getting under there and gittin' er' done.

Although I still like to think I'm as agile and motivated as I once was....I have to get real. That's the main reason I sold my Porsches. There are times I look at the prospect of doing an oil change and think....I just ought to take it in....but I went and bought the Fumoto oil drain valve (input from Bill) so all the mess and hassle of unscrewing a drain plug is gone and replaced by a valve you only turn to open the drain....a clear tube channels the oil directly into gallon jugs for transport to the recycle center....and I save some money in the process, and use the upgraded Mobil 1 and better filters..

But admittedly, it's no longer as much fun as it used to be...getting under the car is more difficult but not impossible...and the more you make excuses for why you cant' do something, the more you downgrade your ability to do what used to come easily and fulfill what eventually becomes the inevitable. Some of this is macho, some is still fun....so I don't fault you for taking yours in to the dealer and having it done...there's just a bunch of us out there who want to roll up our sleeves and get a little grease under our fingernails, then stand back, admire our work and say....I got'er done!!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts