Nissan Murano Forum banner

How much would you be willing to pay for a more capable AWD in the MO?

• $0

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • $1000

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • $2000

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • More than $2000

Votes: 1 4.2%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know that the AWD in the MO is pretty "basic" (for lack of a better term). How much would you be willing to pay (above MOs current pricing level) for a more capable AWD. My examples would be the MDX/Pilot electronic, or the Audi Quattro mechanical(Torsen differentials).

·
I tracked my MO!
30 Posts
Honestly ... the Nissan ATTESSA-ES system is one of the best AWD systems out there.

They have it in the Pathfinder,G35x, and FX ... I dun really understand why they didn't put it in the Murano.

I really wish they did!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't work with the MO FWD transverse engine platform.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The Murano's AWD is not all that different from the one used on the Pilot and MDX. Both use an electronic clutch pack on the rear differential for activation of the rear drive wheels.

I would like the Murano's AWD to have a fixed distribution that isn't 100% FWD in normal conditions. This is not an issue during good weather, but in the snow, the AWD reacts much too slow during the turn.

·
Registered
110 Posts
In european murano distribution is 91% front and 9% rear on normal driving

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
teonek said:
In european murano distribution is 91% front and 9% rear on normal driving
Do you have a reference for this? I would like to read about it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I think the MO's AWD is just fine for it's intended use. If it were a true off-road vehicle I would expect more like elec./air lockers, etc.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I love it, listed under drawbacks is "Rather Flashy Looking":eek:

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eric L.
Wrong--- Pilot/MDX have
1. Two clutch sets, one for each rear wheel, allowing side to side distribution,
2. Outside rear wheel is powered in a turn, increasing stability.
Very different!
Elliot

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ever think its because we have CVT? AWD systems place more drivetrain stress on the tranny hence why Audi doesn't offer a quattro option on their cvts (no torsen or even haldex).

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
ekaxel said:
Eric L.
Wrong--- Pilot/MDX have
1. Two clutch sets, one for each rear wheel, allowing side to side distribution,
2. Outside rear wheel is powered in a turn, increasing stability.
Very different!
Elliot

You are correct. The VTM-4 has a total of 4 drive modes - with the capability to divert torque to just one wheel, if its a rear wheel.

In my post I stated that I would have preferred a slight distribution of torque to the rear under normal conditions, instead of straight FWD. The ATEESA system in the FX starts at 50/50 and then switches to RWD, I wish the Murano would also default to a 50/50 start.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Errr what's so good about the Pilot AWD? My mom has one and I've been driving it for the past few days. Doesn't seem like much. I like the torsen a lot better.

Dave

·
5,244 Posts
Excerpt from the Polish Murano review above:

“In order to sell cars in USA, it is enough to package nicely proven technology, place known brand name and set a reasonable price. Nissan has been successful with the Murano. Now, it is time for DEMANDING Europe”…….

“Engine has been detuned to 234 HP”………..it must come from two different conversion factors:

1kW=1.25HP and 1kW=1.34HP………..

Article also says that Murano is offered with one trim level only. However, a luxury one – leather, xenon lights, NAV, Bose etc. Author says: “at least we can select the color…..”

The 91/9 power split is puzzling……any ideas how did they do it?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Sounds like European Envy, and I like the idea of LSD !

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do agree about the Torsen. Being a proven mechanical system, it is quite reliable, and works well. Has been in Audis a long time. It is expensive.
Reread the previous posts for the Acura/Honda VTM-4 advantages over MO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
out of curiosity . . . . how does haldex compare? Its used on the traverse VW / Audis and I think but am not 100% sure . . . . its what Subaru uses.

Dave

1 - 20 of 24 Posts