Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car I’ll be selling when my SL arrives is a ‘92 Miata. Besides it being the best looking car I’ve owned, it’s also been the most reliable.

I’ve just read quite a number of posts from the Problem area and now I’m getting nervous. How common are the reported problems with rattles, squeaks, alternator and CVT failures? Does anyone know the average service life of a CVT?

I’m assuming the problems seem worse than they are. When I was researching the Murano, I found it was rated high for reliability.

I've been reading about what type of fuel people use. Do you get better mileage or just more performance from premium gas?

Thx Tom

·
Registered
133 Posts
The car runs best on premium. More power and better mileage on freeway, but doesn't seem to matter which grade you use for around-town driving.
As far as problems, you have it right about issues being magnified on-line. Most of us seem to have reliable cars. CVT is a question, however some members are close to 100K mark. Darrell.
PS. Where do you live in bay area? I was raised there and have spent alot of time there. :)

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
The 06

Should have almost every single problem sorted out andbe the very best the great Murano has to offer. Be Happy with your new can and don't get an ulcer worring about it. It's a beaut and wonderfull.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Here are the recalls and TSBs on the Miata.
please note:
These are the recalls and TSBs since 1990.....

The Murano is not as reliable as a Miata.

But what is?;)

The Murano is a good car.

Trust the ratings.

Homer
(Ex 99 Miata owner)

Recalls

Recall Date Subject
Recall campaign: 2005 Emissions
Recall campaign:1103F 6/2/03 EXTERIOR LIGHTING:FOG LIGHTS also see: Letter to owner
Recall campaign:88004 4/00 Fuel tank filler
Recall campaign: 4/00 Airbag deployment
Recall Campaign 75804 3/20/98 1999 Miata Injector Wire Harness Recall
Recall Campaign 41106 1991 1991 MX-5 Miata ABS
Bulletins

09-013/04 04/16/04 Rattling noise from door
05-001/03 09/05/03 Clutch chatter during cold takeoff
09-011/03 08/28/03 Leather Seat Damage
09-009/03 05/27/03 Soft top latch will not stay locked
09-006/03 05/02/03 Power door locks will not lock when engine is running
RF-03-08 04/25/03 Hardtop Latch Change
02-001/03 2/24/03 Tire Vibration Concerns
09-003/03 02/07/03 Soft top split
09-013/02 12/11/02 Power antenna will not go up
05-012/02 09/20/02 6-Speed will not shift into 5th or reverse
04-003/02 9/20/02 Rear brake noise after long term storage
07-001/03 05/02/02 AC Musty/Mildew Odor
01/011/02 4/2/2002 Difficult to fill fuel / gas pump shuts off early
RF-01-32 12/10/01 1999-2002 Accessory Fuel Door
014/00R 11/29/00 Rattling noise from engine (update)
Mazda Tips 6/29/99 Rattling noise fromengine (#4 main cap)
010/99 06/04/99 White stains on inside of soft top
007/99R 06/04/99 Miata Soft top cover comes off or breaks
011/99 04/19/99 AC Inoperative
004/99 03/04/99 Fluctuation in Speed Control Set Speed
002/99 04/08/99 Rattling noise from engine [Page 1] [Page 2]
007/99 04/02/99 '99 Fuel Fill
001/99 3/17/99 Block heater installation cautions.
001/99 3/4/99 Fluctuation in cruise control set speed.
003/99 03/04/99 Engine hard to start/ excessive cranking time
Mazda Tips 10/27/98 Front harness damage at heater unit
Mazda Tips 10/27/98 Rattle noise from main silencer
011/98 10/22/98 Transmission Control Module (TCM) Protector Pad Application
Mazda Tips 10/14/98 Engine stalls during warm-up
011/98 08/05/98 Rattling Noise at 3,000 RPM
004/97 3/10/97 MIL Illumination - P0470 stored in memory
043/96 9/23/96 Soft Top Water Leakage
Mazda Tips 05/95 HLA noise after long storage
003/95 4/5/95 Squeal noise from clutch release bearing
034/94 10/4/94 Clogged Side Sill Drain Holes
Mazda Tips 5/94 Sensory Sound System ('93-'94 Miata w/MSSS)
Mazda Tips 2/94 Detachable Hard Top ('90 - '94 Miata)
011/94 2/11/94 Window will not open fully
004/93 6/3/93 Engine noise due to carbon accumulation
024/93 5/26/93 Protecting the Soft Top Plastic Window
006/93 9/3/93 Squeak from Transmission
005/93 6/16/93 1st and 2nd Gear Grind
008/93 5/15/93 Rattling noise from catalyst
044/92 8/7/92 Door Glass to Hard Top Interference
004/92 7/7/92 Hard shift 2nd Gear after cold start
005/92 7/7/92 Battery Handling for vechicles in storage
027/92 4/7/92 Soft convertible top zipper replacement
011/91 11/22/91 Hydraulic Lash Adjuster Noise
007/90 12/19/90 Damage to Convertible Top
006/90 11/9/90 Detached Cowl Grill Protector
002/90 6/8/90 Discouraged Use of Fog Lamps
002/90 6/8/90 Dead Battery
001/90 6/8/90 Timing Light Malfunction
003/90 4/23/90 Exhaust Manifold Heat Insulator Bracket Breakage
001/90 2/14/90 Convertible Top Down Stopper

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Low n Slow said:
The car I’ll be selling when my SL arrives is a ‘92 Miata. Besides it being the best looking car I’ve owned, it’s also been the most reliable.

I’ve just read quite a number of posts from the Problem area and now I’m getting nervous. How common are the reported problems with rattles, squeaks, alternator and CVT failures? Does anyone know the average service life of a CVT?

I’m assuming the problems seem worse than they are. When I was researching the Murano, I found it was rated high for reliability.

I've been reading about what type of fuel people use. Do you get better mileage or just more performance from premium gas?

Thx Tom
TOM,
Trust me, there are minor problems with the 03-05murano but all of them were addressed by Nissan's Tech Service Bulletins (TSBs) and recalls. Since you are getting the 06, the 'problems' should be even lesser.

I own an 03 and there are *NO* squeks, no rattles.

Alternator failure? Replaced under warranty and per recall instructions. Your 06 will *not* have alt problem, it is the revised model.
CVT failure? I am not too worried. Nissan has the cvt technologies tested thoroughly. Just buy extended warranty up to 100K miles if you want a piece of mind.

I own the NB miata (01) as my other car and to me the murano has been as reliable as the miata ;) . Both gave me the same amount of smile when i drive them....

·
Registered
842 Posts
Low n Slow said:

Thx Tom
I have almost 80000 Kms on my 03 Mo and I do not have any squeaks or rattles. In regards to the CVT there is a poll on this site so you can review and make your own call. I will tell you that I did a lot of research on the CVT on the net and I have been very satisfied with this transmission to the point that I don't think I would want another type of automatic transmission.

So don't worry, be happy and enjoy the ride.:2: :2:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hfelknor said:
Here are the recalls and TSBs on the Miata.
please note:
These are the recalls and TSBs since 1990.....

The Murano is not as reliable as a Miata.

But what is?;)

The Murano is a good car.

Trust the ratings.

Homer
(Ex 99 Miata owner)

Recalls...
Wow, I had no idea there’ve been that many problems over the years. This sure puts things in perspective, thx.

Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: The 06

GripperDon said:
Should have almost every single problem sorted out andbe the very best the great Murano has to offer. Be Happy with your new can and don't get an ulcer worring about it. It's a beaut and wonderfull.
Previous Owner of, The Mod Mo, 05, SL, FWD, Platinum, Charcoal Leather, Touring, Technology Pkgs., TPMS etc. Chrome Wheels, Roof Rack Bbars. Cargo Protector. Extended Warranty, X-Tire, AutoMate. Leatherique treated leather. Diamond Window Tint, Tires 3 step balanced. Stainless Steel Laser Cut Grill. Glass VIN etch, Debadged. Silver Painted Calipers. 1300F Ceramic painted Muffler. B-Quite Supreme, sound matting. External Sound ndercoated. White Led Parking Lights. Led Front Door Entrance Lights. Yellow Ion Fogs. Silver-Amber Front Turn Signals. Hella 100 Watt @ 5000K Driving Lights. SAT receiver–Delphi XM Roady2 Hidden Antenna install. Fan cooled Inverter AC to Xbox. MTX 200 watt auto on Amp deciated power to Bose Sub Woofer. PAC-Niss dual aux in for Sat and X Box audio. Generator Labs NoNag modded Rear Camera. “NAV Box" W/Modded X Box X2 Chip. DVD’s, MP3 & JPEG pics ,160 gig HD / Wireless Lynksis 802.11G Ethernet link. Runs Xbox Media Center. rear Bumper Protector. Selectable Horns: OEM MO/WoLo air. Tinted Tails-Bright bulbs. Tweeters tilted + 19uf mod. Lower Grill Stone Shield. Front Floor Amber Courtesy Lights. Chrome over Stainless Rocker Bars. Wireless LED Turn Signal Mirrors. Top mounted Led Stop Light modded with The backoff.

Jeez GripperDon, you must every option and modification available! Can you tell me which ones you couldn’t live without and / or which ones offer the biggest ‘bang for the buck’?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: How reliable?

SugarRushMurano said:

...I own the NB miata (01) as my other car and to me the murano has been as reliable as the miata ;) . Both gave me the same amount of smile when i drive them....
SugarRushMurano, well thats really saying something. If I have half the fun driving the Mo that I do with the Miata, I'll be very happy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Squeaks and Rattle

Unfortunately, my 06' Murano SE AWD has all the squeaks and rattles previously reported in the forums. At first, I had a dashboard squeak but then the door "ticking" noise showed up and now I'm riding in one noisy car. I've tried adding felt in certain places but with no luck. Who knows, you might get one that doesn't squeak, rattle and tick like others here. But once you hear that first noise, it starts to drive you crazy.

Here is one thing that I really hate about the squeak. I have speed bumps in the complex where I live. If I drive fast over them, I get a fairly quick squeak. But most of the time I drive slow so I get this really long drawn out squeeeeeeaaaaak. It's definitely coming from the dashboard around the drivers side.

I've put over 2000 miles on it in the one month I've owned the car and it runs great. I just wish the interior was a bit quieter.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Re: Re: Re: How reliable?

Low n Slow said:
SugarRushMurano, well thats really saying something. If I have half the fun driving the Mo that I do with the Miata, I'll be very happy!
EH? so you *will* get the murano right :4: ???
Post her picture when you take her home will you! ;)

Talking about miata reliability, recent post form miata.net shows that Consumer Reports (Apr 2006, Pg. 14) applauds the Miata for being the most "problem-free" car of the century, rating only 5% of owners complained about a problem. So if I claim my Mo is as reliable as the miata, you should not be too worry about MO's reliability....:29:...
< If my stats prof read that, he would have given me an "F" since I am using one sample to represent the entire population> ....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Re: Re: Re: How reliable?

SugarRushMurano said:

EH? so you *will* get the murano right :4: ???
Post her picture when you take her home will you! ;)
Yes I still plan on buying my ‘mo’ (I just heard this term after joining and it still makes me laugh). While it’s great fun to drive the Miata, after 14+ years I’m looking forward to a change.

I wanted to be able to haul ‘stuff’ and was initially looking at another small pickup. But as I’ve already owned 4 of these in the past, I was thought it was time for something different. Compared to a Toyota Tacoma, the mo is smaller in every dimension, lower to the ground and has the same city mileage with its 6 cylinder as Toyota gets with its 4 banger. I guess the CVT accounts for that?

Plus I’m ready for more luxury and even if it does squeak and rattle, I’m sure it’ll be much quieter than the Miata.

I'll post a pic when it arrives. Tom

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
IT will not

"even if it does squeak and rattle,"

It a great SUV that rides like wondefull. We need to get you off of this kick, you don't even have it yet. Nothing in life is a sure thing. Only death.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
There are two things you can do if it squeaks and rattles.
1-You can whine about it,
2-or you can make the dealer fix it in the first yaear ubdder the "adjustments" warranty.

Many people choose #1,
I recommend #2.:D

I did a combination.
I only had the B Pillar "pop". And that
was only occasionally.
I Went to the dealer and when he didn't fix it, I whined.
Then he fixed it.
I quit whining.
Now it only pops if the temps get around freezing. Pretty uncommon for this part of the world.
I'm happy.

But there actually are people who complain about the rattles and when asked about what their dealer said or did .....they look at you with this blank expression.
I guess it just never crosses their mind that this is indeed a warranty situation.

Homer

Many Mo's don't do it at all, I guess.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dborla01 said:
...PS. Where do you live in bay area? I was raised there and have spent alot of time there. :)
Hi dborla01,

I'm in the south bay, up from LA in the late seventies. I love the climate here (weather and politics) and can think of no finer place to live.

·
Registered
9 Posts
RE: Squeaks and Rattle

I purchased my 06 SL AWD in early February, and without question it is the quietest vehicle I have ever owned. I have experienced no interior squeaks or rattles, and road noise is almost non-existent. My MO ranks so far as the #1 vehicle I have ever owned (and I have owned more than 20 over the years - another thread). The only problem I've had was with the CD changer - and that was quickly fixed by the dealer.

The MO's a great vehicle, enjoy it!!!

TGL
06 SL AWD Platinum Touring

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the things you hear about the Murano. I own a 2003 and yes there have been a few problems that can get annoying but I love the car and would not give it up for anything.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How reliable?

Dennis Fink said:
I just love how 9 out of the top 10 threads deal with cars and the tenth deals with Jaak's obsession with car forums!!! :2: You gotta' love him.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How reliable?

njjoe said:

I just love how 9 out of the top 10 threads deal with cars and the tenth deals with Jaak's obsession with car forums!!! :2: You gotta' love him.

-njjoe
Oh, I imagine he's setting the SRT-8 forums on fire with the rate of his posts as we speak! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts