Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to put winter tires and rims on a 2006 SE that comes with TPMS. The dealer tells me if I go to 17" "winter" rims and snows the warning light will be constantly on.

The dealer said there is no way to turn off, other than removing the fuse which is shared with the airbag system

They recommend staying with the factory rims and buying 18" snow tires.

I don't like the idea of switching tires onto the rims twice a year, and am concerned that the TPMS sensors will get damaged or will need constant recallibration (expensive).

I would much rather have a full winter setup.

:confused:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I have 17" snows and wheels. Sometimes the light is on, sometimes it isnt. There is no audible alarm, just the little horseshoe light at the bottom of the tach, and after a while you just don't even notice it.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
There is no legal way to disable the TPMS system.

The NHTSA issued a rule (49 CFR Parts 571 and 585) in April 2005 that establishes a federal standard requiring the installation of a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) in all light vehicles by September 2007. Part of the rule requires that the TPMS have no provision to allow it to be disabled, even when non-TPMS compatible wheels/tires are fitted to the vehicle.

This link will take you to the official DOT-NHTSA document: http://www.tireindustry.org/pdf/TPMS_FinalRule_v3.pdf

Now having said that, I am sure there is someone lurking around here who can figure out an easy way to disable it. ;)

-njjoe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
njjoe said:
There is no legal way to disable the TPMS system.

The NHTSA issued a rule (49 CFR Parts 571 and 585) in April 2005 that establishes a federal standard requiring the installation of a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) in all light vehicles by September 2007. Part of the rule requires that the TPMS have no provision to allow it to be disabled, even when non-TPMS compatible wheels/tires are fitted to the vehicle.

This link will take you to the official DOT-NHTSA document: http://www.tireindustry.org/pdf/TPMS_FinalRule_v3.pdf

Now having said that, I am sure there is someone lurking around here who can figure out an easy way to disable it. ;)

-njjoe
Thanks you Ekaxel for the info that there is no audible warning.

Njjoe, I can't believe the NHTSA will be shoving TPMS down our throats... it's the one feature in the SE I would love to live without... yes it can be beneficial for the rare incident or if you don't regularly maintain your vehicle, but most of the time it is a nusiance of fasle warnings.

I hope you are right and there is a TPMS hacker lurking around. I may have to resort to a piece of tape over the warning light.

Peter
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think the easiest way to disable the sensors, is to increase the tire pressure by a few pounds.

Would that really make that much of a diffrence?

Ken D.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
kdesvern said:
I think the easiest way to disable the sensors, is to increase the tire pressure by a few pounds.

Would that really make that much of a diffrence?

Ken D.
That's not the issue. There are MO drivers out there who replace their OEM wheel/tire combos with 17" wheel/tire combos for the winter. The winter set-ups do not have the TPMS sensor in the wheel, so the low-pressure warning will always be on. They are looking for a way to disable TPMS.

-njjoe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok that makes sense!

I forget that not everyone is from California, where we have pretty nice weather year-round.

Thanks

Ken D.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Enforcer said:
Drill 4 holes in the spare rim and mount them up. Lets see NHTSA get around that! :D
I ended up purchasing a second set of rims with a second set of sensors. Set of four was about $500 Cdn and the rims (which look great) were $600 Cdn for the set.

The result is amazing road holding when we go up to the mountains skiing.

I guess the bottom line is safety and security requires investment, and I would rather pay and aviod an accident than pay to fix up my vehicle and myself.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Did you have to initialize the new TPMS sensors to your vehicle?

·
My MO's faster than yours
419 Posts
parato said:

I ended up purchasing a second set of rims with a second set of sensors. Set of four was about $500 Cdn and the rims (which look great) were $600 Cdn for the set.

The result is amazing road holding when we go up to the mountains skiing.

I guess the bottom line is safety and security requires investment, and I would rather pay and aviod an accident than pay to fix up my vehicle and myself.

So were the 2nd set compatible? Was the dealer able to match the same code/frequency your stock tmps were using? I have a 2nd set Ive been wanting to reprogram for my ride. How much were you charged?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts