Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a step by step how-to if you have a rusted sticking latch or a latch that wont release your rear hatch open. I had this problem for the past month on my 2004 SE AWD but finally needed it fixed for my upcoming trip. This will save you a ton of money and can be done by almost anyone. Tools you need are:

Flathead screw driver
Ratchet w/ 10mm socket
WD-40 and some PB Blaster if possible.
Small wire brush (A scruff pad or some sand paper might work as well)
A friend (only needed if your hatch is stuck closed like mine was)

If your hatch will not release open at all, you will need to fold down your rear seat and climb into the trunk. There is an access hole that needs to be popped open to get to the latch.

Next, you can use your key fob to lock and unlock the car to see if the machanism moves. It will most likely only move to one direction. Take your flathead and move the metal part (part with the holes in it) to the right and the left a few times. This part is what keeps it locked and unlocked in place. You can use your key fob again to lock and unlock the car....if it free'd up from enough rust, you should slightly see it moving back and forth.

You can now have your friend stand on the outside of the car. Place your flathead on the part further in, just as pictured below. Firmly press the mechanism up and ask your friend to pull on the lever outside to have them pop the hatch open. This might take a few tries as I do not exactly remember how everything was positioned as it released open.

You should now have your hatch open. There are (4) plastic tabs that keep the large interior portion on the hatch in place. Push the center of the tabs in and place your flathead under the outer section to pull them out. Be careful not to sctach up the plastic.

With the (4) tabs out, you can now pull out the plastic piece that helps you close down the latch. Also be careful not to scratch the plastic.

You can now start pulling down the large plastic piece and unclipping it from the hatch. I start right by the window and then use a flathead to pull back the plastic on both the sides. Make sure to use both hands so you can catch the large piece...do no let it drop since there are two wires that need to be unplugged from the lights before you can set it down.

With everything unhooked and the large piece in your hands, unhook to lights by pulling back on the white sockets. They side right out with ease. Place the large plastic piece safely inside of the car and out of the way to prevent it from any damage/scratching.

Next, you will have (3) 10mm bolts to remove. One on the right and two on the left.

You can now look at the inside of the hatch. There are two wire plugs that will need to be removed. One has the yellow clip socket and the other has the white socket. Press the white one in and pull back out. With the yellow socket, you need to press in the 2 little bent clips to pull the entire socket out...with the yellow portion attached to it.

Now, press the white tabs inwards (where the white socket was mounted) towards each other with your fingers and push the piece in to pop it out of the hole.

You can now remove the last 10mm bolt.

With the last bolt out, you can now drop down the entire assembly just enough to get to the cable that is connected to the outside lever. Pop the gray plastic piece on the cable outward out of its bracket.

Pull the cable up and pop the end of it out from the other side with your finger or a screw driver if needed. Once the cable is removed and out of the way, you can drop the entire assemble down and out of the car.

You can now begin examining the entire assembly by moving the levers back and forth. They should be pretty rough due to all the rust and will not all the pieces to move easy or retract as they should.

Your next step should be to take some PB Blaster (or WD-40 if you dont have any PB) and soak all the rusty metal. Move the locking mechanism along with the lever portion where the cable was connected to back and forth repeatedly.... spray it some more and continue doing so until the lever moves more freely.

You can now use your wire brush to scuff down some of the rust. Spray it down and scuff some more anywhere you can, until you see it washing down a bit of rust. You can continue spraying it down and continue moving the lever repeatedly until the lever starts to retract on its own. This might take a few minutes to do...the more you move and spray it, the cleaner and more free it will get. You have to continue doing so until it retracts back fast like a spring.

You can do the same with the locking mechanism. Move the piece to the right and the left until it feels like its poping back and forth more freely.

I also added a little grease to it with my finger. Not sure if its doing much but im sure it will keep it lubed up for some time. Other than that, you are now done with everything.... and can reverse the process backwards. Everything went in easy and I did not run into any issues with difficulty. Everything works GOOD AS NEW! Hope this helps anyone with sticking or rusted out levers! :29:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Ive seen a few posts where people either replaced it completly or let the dealer take care of it. Im sure this will come in handy for some sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
That's one of the best "how to's" I've ever seen. :29:

I did have some issues with my Murano latch. When it first started acting up, I popped off the access panel and shot in some wd-40.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's one of the best "how to's" I've ever seen. :29:

I did have some issues with my Murano latch. When it first started acting up, I popped off the access panel and shot in some wd-40.
Thank you sir! I was also thinking about doing that but im positive it wouldnt have helped. It took me several spray downs just to get the lever moving properly and not until I scuffed it did it start to retract on it own. My Murano has some of the rustiest parts I've ever seen!....mainly everything under the car.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as I know, all of the forums work this way. Ive never had issues with my other cars forums so hopefully these stay up for a long time as well.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Excellent writeup. If not stickied, I'll sticky it so it is always on the top.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've looked around and read all about people's 98-01 hatches not unlocking properly, so they got their actuator replaced. However, I have not found a solution to my issue. My actuator works fine, thus it unlocks fine, but the lever on the hatch does not work correctly.
I push the lever to the left and open the trunk, but then in order for the latch to re-engage properly, I have to manually move the lever back to the right before closing the hatch. Does anyone know how to fix this? I was going to take it apart the other day, but I figured I'd ask on here first so I didn't screw anything up and end up with no trunk latch with my car sitting in a parking garage, lol.
-----------------
2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems to me like rust is the issue from what youre explaining. I would take it apart and do the steps in this how-to. It doesnt take very long and I believe this would help your problem....unless the metal was bent and not aligned for some odd reason?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The guy seems to be asking about his Mercedes SL latch, not Murano, which doesn't have a left-right motion. It does sound like rust to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like the Mercedes guy, though I have a 2004 Murano, my power latch works fine for unlock/lock. My problem is the handle moves freely up and down but does not move the latch to open. It stuck closed once when shutting the latch so I moved it by hand to open so I could lock vehicle and hasn't worked since. Does it sound like I need a latch handle replacement? I'm going to follow this GREAT removal but I'm not sure what to look for? It feels like my handle isn't connected to anything when I move it. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually when my hatch was stuck closed my lever moved back and forth freely but would not pop open the latch....seems like that is whats happening with you. When I removed the entire assembly and freed up all the rust, it caught back on and pops open just as it should. You might possibly have the same issue unless your cable snapped/moved out of place for some reason. Otherwise I had the same deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
how come my 05 Murano Latch is covered with white Plastic. How did you manage to get to the metallic lever like the picture above. Mine is stuck bad.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One thing I have learned on this forum is that there is an endless combination of parts/features that some muranos have which others dont.... And I mean a TON depending on year, trim etc... It sure does look like it has some protective cover. Try to see if you can get a flathead and move any parts back and forth to free up some of that rust. If none of that works I suggest spraying it down with some PB or WD40 and try budging the parts..might even take a day or two for it to take some affect.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
13 Participants
2007se
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing