Nissan Murano Forum banner
21 - 40 of 97 Posts
I just purchased a Gates hose from Rockauto.com for $38.95!!! Dealer quoted my daughter $148.00 plus another $220 for labor to replace. Wow what a ripoff! Replacement hose came with copper washers and o-ring for sensor. Check them out before you buy somewhere else.

Those prices seem pretty decent for a dealer. The labor sounds quite fair, as I doubt that the job can be done in less than 2 hours. If I needed a PS hose replaced and didn't have a full day available to do the job, I'd have taken them up on it.

Thanks for the write up. Just a helpful note, If you have a second person grab the hose from up top, it makes lining up the banjo bolt a lot easier. I was at a loss until my wife came out and helped me. Make me less of a man? NO, makes her more awesome.

How about just tightening the bolts?

My 2004 Murano AWD with 109K miles has been leaking P/S fluid for about a year. I am not sure exactly where it leaks, but I am wondering if anybody tried/thought about simply tightening the bolts at the few places?

It seems to me removing the pressure hose is quite some work, so maybe trying to tighten bolts is worthwhile a try? I don't know the exact reason why P/S leaks, so maybe some of you who replaced the hose before can give some thought?

on the pressure hose, I guess the place to tighten will be both ends? And what about the middle where the sensor is located - is this a place that could leak and can be tightened without having to withdraw the entire hose out of the car?

I am also interested in how to confirm where my hose is leaking. I can see P/S fluid at the bottom of the hose, but that does not tell me where it is from.

Have mentioned this before on the other PS diy, the leak comes from the crimped end of the hose. No tightening option whatsoever. Plus tightening things thats not loose will usually makes matter worst on aluminum parts. Good luck.

Hmmm "Omega" brand? Don't know. I did a quick search but didn't find any info on where it's made. If in China, I'd pass.

My willingness to save money sometimes depends on how outsize the pain in the a** would be to change the part again if it fails. That PS hose is no fun (by report) so I'd think twice and check Rockauto for options.

Well, I would order from Rockauto if I could figure out which part is the right one for my 2004 Murano SE AWD.

Rockauto's pressure hose has a brand name of Edelmann (good brand?), and there are 15+ different choices (e.g. upper vs. lower, hose vs. tube, from pump vs. pump to rack, etc. etc.). Anybody can help me identify which one is what I need?

Thanks!

I can't believe nissan bump the price 60 bucks from when I did this repair. It seems that they even took out the upper and lower brackets. So you need to reuse the original ones along with the sensor.

You want the pump to rack AWD one. Actually, looking at the photos, it seems that they now sell just the soft hose where the leaky part is (pump end). You then reuse/reconnect to the old hard tubing part that goes to the rack. This will end up being even cheaper for you. You need to ascertain where your leak is coming from first. Meaning you need to get down there and examine what you got.

If you are not going oem, it seems that both places are about the same price and quality. If I get the same problem again, I would get the entire assembly hose and hard tubing from autozone for $50 instead. If problem arise, they are just a couple of miles for a quick free replacement. Good luck.

Nitely,

By "they now sell just the soft hose where the leaky part is (pump end).", are you referring to the rubber hose connected to the reservoir at the top? I don't think that segment is pressurized.

If you are talking about part of this pressure hose is made of "soft hose" -

1. Can you replace this soft hose without having to unscrew the banjo bolt and remove the entire pressurized hose? seems that is most part of the work.

2. How is this soft hose connected to the rigid part of the pressure hose? Bolt, clamp?

I went down their before, and know that the black sleeve of the pressure hose is soaked, which tells me that the leak comes from higher part of the hose. Is that conclusive that I need to replace the pressure hose? I guess it is also possible the lower end of the return hose (none pressurized, connected to the reservoir) could leak, but I can't visually confirm without removing parts to provide room.

I'm only talking about the pressure line assembly. If you look at the pix of my previous posting on this repair...http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/...wer-steering-high-pressure-line-repair-2.html The pump end where the banjo bolt reside is crimped connected to this soft black hose (seen once you lift up the silver heat wrap) that loops up to the intake bracket and down to a lower bracket that is crimped connected again to a fitting that then connects the hard tubing going to the rack. Nissan only sells this entire assembly. While now, aftermarket offers a break down of this assembly. You can buy just the soft black hose with crimped connections on both end or just the hard tubing. Depending on your need/preference.

Like I said, you need to inspect where your leak is. Try to see/feel for any red fluid at the bottom of the PS reservoir where the connections are. If its dry then most probably its the pressure line. Once this crimped part of the pressure line black hose starts to leak there is no stopping. And the fluid gets sprayed all over the place making it even harder to detect where the leak is coming from unless you start wiping the lines dry/clean.

This is a highly pressurized system so you don't want to just buy a hose and hose clamp that in there. Though tempting, its very dangerous and highly possible to break the connection and lose all steering while driving.

I went under and took a picture (attached). As noted in the picture, the highest point I can see pink PS fluid dripping is right at where the white plastic tie is. Also the bottom of the PS reservoir where there are two hose connections is dry.

Does this positively confirm my pressure line is leaking?

As to whether to replace a segment or the entire PS pressure line - will I still need to remove the whole pressure line from the car in order to replace a segment of it? If so, the savings from the part cost is small (whole pressure line at autozone is sold for ~$50), I will just replace the whole.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

Discussion starter · #34 ·
I would say replace the whole line. The power steering hose itself is encased in a rubber sleeve. Most likely what is happening is there is a crack in the hose, and the fluid is travling down the tube and collecting on the fitting you show in your picure. Given history on this issue, you're better off replacing the entire assembly.

OMG, I just did this job and it is not pretty the first time but you swear up and down you will spend way less time the second round. Trickiest part for me was getting that stupid banjo bolt in (took many many tries, prayers, and a lot of patience. The hardline on the other side was a project as well because I kept trying to fit it in the wrong way. The 2 bolts and the hardline should have descent location for fitment, otherwise, it is in wrong. Might be good to take a picture before you start removing. Used basic tools (wrenches, ratchets, pliers, adjustable wrenches. Took me much longer than everyone else because I had to keep repeating things and did so many checks. I purchased the autozone kit for $50. It came with o rings and everything needed. I reused bracket that goes on back of engine, sensor, and the o-ring on the end of the hardline. It wasn't damaged and the ones that came with autozone package seemed too big. Bought the same copper rings from Nissan by mistake, thinking kit wouldn't come with it. In total, $53 (hose), $15 (Nissan PS fluid & copper rings) + 11 hours = $68. Test drive went fine. Will give it a few days but so far so good. Girlfriend helped a lot, I mean a lot. Trying to get everything to fit right, we installed/uninstalled a handful of times.

All the concerns discussed in this and another similar thread are true. This is definitely a doable job, just takes a lot of patience and breaths.

BTW, 2003 Murano SE w/ 103k miles. Did not give any issues, then out of nowhere fluid leaked. Weird enough, it never completely leaked, always stopped way below the line but there was always something in the reservoir.

Funniest moment was people looking at the cowl removed and thinking I was destroying the car. It is really not as scary as it looks, considering its nothing but bolts.

Prayer helped so much, I kid you not.

Bluehorse,

As per my last post on page 2, I would use the autozone 50 buck assembly like what Meccanoble did and what Warhammer suggested.

Just got back from a quick vacation in Vancouver.

Good luck.

Correction . Have 106k miles. Anyway, day 2 and took the car on local and highway roads. No noises, no issues so far. Reservoir sitting in the same place. AutoZone kit seems good but you have to reuse bracket that mounts to back off engine, rubber gasket on end of hard line, and sensor.

I plan to split the work between two days. Any problem or things to watch for to drive around the car with the wipers and cowl removed? Electrical, mechanical, or structural stresses?

I ended up buying the MasterPro p/s line from O'Reilly Parts Store. Cost including tax is ~$54.

1. There are two yellow caps (see photo attached). Anybody knows what they are for?

2. There is one small o-ring in the package. It seems a bit small for the sensor (my guess only). There is a small paper that says this o-ring needs to be installed otherwise will leak. Where does this o-ring go if not the sensor?

Thanks!

Attachments

I plan to split the work between two days. Any problem or things to watch for to drive around the car with the wipers and cowl removed? Electrical, mechanical, or structural stresses?

I ended up buying the MasterPro p/s line from O'Reilly Parts Store. Cost including tax is ~$54.

1. There are two yellow caps (see photo attached). Anybody knows what they are for?

2. There is one small o-ring in the package. It seems a bit small for the sensor (my guess only). There is a small paper that says this o-ring needs to be installed otherwise will leak. Where does this o-ring go if not the sensor?

Thanks!
When you remove the cowl, it doesn't move too far from its original location unless you unplug tubes. You can access everything by just pulling all the cowl things a little further. Attempting to move the cowl, 2 of the outside rear bolts broke. Not a big deal, as there are a handful that keep it bolted to the car but I would definitely take my time with these old bolts and don't over tighten at all, especially the one behind the engine. Someone mentioned breaking that and I definitely made sure I wouldn't destroy that one.

No yellow caps are needed for this project. Not sure why they are included.

There are 2 parts of the hose that require a RUBBER ring: the end of the hardline and the sensor. YOU NEED these rings to avoid leaks. Your better off using the old ones than nothing at all in my opinion. As mentioned, my autozone kit came with a ring for the sensor but the one for the hardline was slightly too big for my comfort. Reused the old one.

My local shop wanted $550 to do the hose and the sensor. That's obviously a ton of money and which I do not have.

Can someone tell me if this will work for my 2005 SL AWD mo? Or if I need additional parts. I have read through all of these forums and I am over processing and confusing myself on what parts to get. Doesn't help that auto zone and O'Reillys sells multiple units.
MasterPro® Power Steering Hose 80648 - Pressure Line Assembly | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Thank you so much.

21 - 40 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.