Nissan Murano Forum banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts
So. I am mechanically inclined. I use this forum quite often.

Here's my issue.

I bought an 05 FWD a year ago and the previous owner basically didn't do any maintenance. So far I've changed the wheel hubs. (Lower control arms and ball joints in the future) I've replaced the CVT fluid and flush.. And various other things..

Power steering hose was done yesterday. Today it exploded where the fitting to the rack is. I included photos. I've never seen anything like it. It ripped the threads and the little o ring is gone.

My Nissan buddies say im going to have to buy a new rack and pinion which is 500$ vs the 50$ for the new hose.

Has anyone had this issue?

Is this user error?

Attachments

If the threads to the rack are still good, I don't see why you'd need a replacement. If they're stripped, you have a real problem. In that case, probably the least you'd need to do is pull the rack and re-thread the fitting. You might be able to have a hose end made to match a larger fitting on the rack, but seems to me that just installing a rebuild rack would make more sense.

If you do need a rack, I suggest getting a rebuilt instead of a brand new one. There's nothing wrong with rebuilts and they cost a lot less.

Hello everyone! New user here! Trying to fix my fiance's 06 AWD Murano power steering hose. I ordered a hose from RockAuto and it looks like the hard pipe end that goes to the rack is not the right one. The hose looks to be leaking from the rubber portion. I can't tell given the factory bracket where the rubber/hard pipe comes together but can you just replace the rubber section and re-hook it to the factory hard pipe tube? I am a little frustrated to say the least that I have got the wrong part.

Any help is appreciated.

Sorry, me again. Go to advance an get the whole hose. This was a manufactured bad part. The new hose it one solid piece. 65$. Again go to advance auto. I just replaced this part.
Does Advanced have the entire piece? I went to autozone because I'm having a decent leak and they're telling me they have the hose in three parts...I'm guessing the one that I needed was the Pump to Steering Rack?...which is like $50 at Autozone. I gotta replace this on my high mileage 04' SE AWD but still have to get under there and confirm that it's the typical kinked area that is the cause of the leak (as I seen on several YouTube videos). Any help would be appreciated. I am curious to see what Advanced has to offer though

I posted in the other thread but in case people don't check it. I can not for the life of me get the banjo bolt back on. I can only fit my left arm in (wheel off).. I've tried for hours and had a neighbour try to and can't get it on..

Did anyone remove the heat shield to get more access.. Or any other ideas. I've tried with the manifold bold on and off to see if that would help and no go. Almost ready to call a tow truck n have it done by a shop. No matter what I do I can't get it to line up to thread, let alone with the outer washer that keeps coming off as I twist the hose to get leverage and positioning..

Finally done. My brother in law stopped by and after an hour managed to get the banjo bolt on. He works on cars all the time and even admitted it was a huge challenge to get it on.

After tightening it all up, poured the fluid and purged the air.. Took it out for a drive and wow, no more whiny and no more leaks! The car is so much more quiet. A very annoying high pitched whine I thought May have been the idle pulley bearing is gone!

I used the dealer hose and parts. To be honest, this was one job I don't know if I recommend to do at home. Cause if you get stuck like me and can't get the banjo bolt on.. You have to tow it out of the garage to a shop...I was very nearly there..

It's easy to do to get out and put back in.. Just that stupid up turned banjo bolt is stupidly tough with such a tight spot to try and muscle it on.

You are suppose to attach the end first - banjo bolt and sensors before screwing in the upper hose bracket behind the intake manifold. This would have given you all the slack you need. No forcing required.

I tried that, tried everything not attached, just the rack, just the manifold.. Could never get the right angle. Thought it was just me, had a neighbour try who works on cars and he couldn't after an hour. Luckily, my brother in law who works on jeeps excessively after an hour got it. This over a few weeks time. Just one of those things... I was so done that I almost towed it to a shop.

I just got a quote from a local dealer...guy goes "Yeah, $842 should do the job." I said.."$842..Oh awesome, thank you sir!"

Anyways, I found another local shop that is willing to take the $50 Autozone hose that I purchase and my own PS fluid and do the job for $190 total. Since I don't have a garage at the moment, I'm thinking about taking them up on that offer. Any suggestions? Other local dealer said $529 or something like that.

I just did this over the past weekend. I was filling the power steering fluid reservoir almost daily and catching it all on cardboard under the car. My car is a 2006 Murano with 150K.

I did this on the cheap, with a Sunsong hose (pictured) for $36 + $10 s/h and a $22 + $0 s/h sensor from eBay. Took the savings and bought some tools, a jack, and jack stands (the week before I had changed the oil cooler pipe and oil filter gasket for $30 in eBay parts).

Followed the instructions in this post and others. Front of car on jackstands, took off cowl, and the passenger tire - can't imagine doing it otherwise. Used a turkey baster to empty the power steering reservoir. Taking off the upper bracket took some muscle and PB Blaster. Banjo bolt and the bracket in the middle was easy - but the hard line side was a pain! Such a tight spot, got frustrated with the 14mm wrench and ended up getting a crows foot...but didn't realize the socket extension really needs to be 6in - and I only have a 4in and 8in. Ultimately I worked it out with the 14mm wrench. Then, I decided to pull the whole hose assembly out from the top as one piece - lots of maneuvering and hoping you're not ripping out other lines. If I had to do it over I might unscrew the hard line from the hose and take it out from the bottom.

Once it was all out and drained (and I had a night's sleep) it was much easier getting the new hose in. Worked the hard line in first from the bottom and partially screwed it in (with the little black o-ring on). Then I attached the sensor to the hose. I lowered the non-banjo end of the hose down from the top followed by attaching it to the hard line from the passenger tire opening. Used two wrenches to tighten them together - you'll be reaching in deep. Then I worked the banjo bolt end down. I was nervous of the banjo bolt from all of the stories here - but it actually went on easily with the copper washers. I had bought a 24mm socket for that which probably made it easier to do.

Everything tightened, I then filled the power steering reservoir and turned the keys to ACC and started moving the wheel back and forth with a 3 second pause at full turn. After a few of those I heard a couple big bubbles gurgle in the reservoir and topped it off. I put the tire on and lowered the car with some cardboard under the tires. Turned on the car and moved the wheels again, but no decrease in the fluid. Checked for leaks and didn't see any - then put the cowl back on and cleaned up.

So far so good...it's amazing looking at a full reservoir each morning. It does seem to make a slight moaning sound that comes and goes...not that loud though, just different. I had secured the line with zip ties while I have some cheap adel clamps I've ordered coming in to secure it down.

To the previous poster, $190 really isn't that bad considering the work (8hrs+) this took.

Attachments

Here is mine- before at least, as I need to get a crescent wrench (36" version doesnt fit, and 24mm 1/2" impact socket doesn't fit either. Do I have the line on the power steering rack identified correctly? It looks like it wraps around my rear drive shaft from motor mount bolts. Here is the video link from youtube: https://youtu.be/Y8eP0gAYKMU

The line for the power steering rack isn't what you're pointing to at the end of the video. From the center 2 bolt mount it turns into the hard line that goes down to the other side of the car. The only way to see it would be to get under the other side...it's definitely the tighter spot to see.

Attachments

Can someone confirm whether the part is universal between RHD and LHD?
My local dealer wanted $1K for parts and labour and I thought that was just highway robbery...

They also gave me a part number that I cannot locate... 49720-1AADC.

Any help appreciated.

I just had my PS hose replaced by a local shop (first thing I had done in a shop on this car...Other than a CVT replacement by dealer and regular tire swap/alignment by local shops). Anyways, paid $50 for the hose at Autozone and found a shop locally that did it for $120 out the door. Problem fixed! I would have tackled the job like I have always done with other tasks, but I don't have a garage anymore and I didn't want to get stuck with an issue somewhere outside. My leak originally started last summer, but has been progressively worse over time. Recently, I've been pouring in fluid every other day just to keep up with the leak. I am very happy now, even though the car has a ton of miles. Next, I'm looking into replacing the suspension, since the Murano is holding up really well.

It seems I have a small on the black rubber hose which connects to power steering pump and to the metal tube on the other side. Could I replace only soft rubber piece?

sorry for repeats, website is freezing on me

61 - 80 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.