Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much research I finally had my fogs programmed to run as DRLs by a Nissan technician this morning...at no charge. Most technicians are not familiar with where to go in the programming as I found out after contacting a few dealers. Below are the main steps that he shared with me.

-Technician needs to get to "Reprogram/Configuration" opening screen.....this takes about 5 to 10 minutes to get into. At this time the BCM needs to be reprogrammed through Consult 3. The second option down is where the DRLs can be turned on.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My dealer does it so I knew it could be done. Others still don't agree because their dealers didn't know about it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Awesome if we could sticky this for other members looking to do this. I'll definitely be taking the insight to my dealership when I ask them to do this (just in case). :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I ended up paying $200 to have my fogs reprogrammed as DRLs around 3yrs ago and at that time no-one really knew how to do it.

I assumed that the Norwood dealership billed me for the time it took for them to figure it out! But since the service adviser went to great lengths to work with me and the techs to get this done, I paid without complaining.

I subsequently had aftermarket LED DRL's fitted that come on with the fogs (and had the fog bulbs replaced with HID bulbs that match the LEDS) and I'm pretty happy with the result.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up paying $200 to have my fogs reprogrammed as DRLs around 3yrs ago and at that time no-one really knew how to do it.

I assumed that the Norwood dealership billed me for the time it took for them to figure it out! But since the service adviser went to great lengths to work with me and the techs to get this done, I paid without complaining.

I subsequently had aftermarket LED DRL's fitted that come on with the fogs (and had the fog bulbs replaced with HID bulbs that match the LEDS) and I'm pretty happy with the result.
What wattage HID bulbs did you use for fogs?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I dont know the wattage. It was done by a shop I was recommended to go to by a forum member.

But I think I have the packaging somewhere. I'll check and get back.
I was a little wary putting them in but decided to risk it after hearing that the forum member had had them installed for a year without a problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted to use HIDs as well, but could only find 55W which I know would be too hot for the housing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered these, but they won't be in for a while....

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Super-Bright-6000K-Xenon-Lighting/dp/B00E54HM8K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423538610&sr=8-1&keywords=Super+Bright+H8+H11+6000K+Xenon+White+48+SMD+LED+High+Beam+DRL+Fog+Light+Lamp+Lighting[/ame]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LEDs came in sooner than I expected. Really like the way they look...for only $15.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
LEDs came in sooner than I expected. Really like the way they look...for only $15.

@audiophile Nice! Was that a straight plug & play or did you have to use an adapter + relay? Also, how does the light output compare vs the factory bulbs?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
They look nice but dont look like they throw as much light as the stockers

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!...straight plug n play. They don't throw as much light as the stock bulbs, but I knew that, and wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted a brighter, whiter light as DRLs. We don't get any fog here in the Valley of the Sun!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks!...straight plug n play. They don't throw as much light as the stock bulbs, but I knew that, and wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted a brighter, whiter light as DRLs. We don't get any fog here in the Valley of the Sun!
Cool, appreciate if you could share if you start to see changes in output after a few weeks of use.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey guys,

Since we're talking about LED fog lights...

I bought a similar item off of Ebay just to try it out...I LOVE them as fog lights.

Name: 2x Dual Color Yellow White High Power CREE XML2 H8 H11 Fog Light 4000LM LED Bulb
2X Dual Color Yellow White High Power CREE XML2 H8 H11 Fog Light 4000Lm LED Bulb | eBay

Straight PnP. I bought these because you can change them from yellow to white. Initially I wanted LED headlights, but wanted to still use them if I didn't like them as headlights (I like practicality). Results were expected plugging them into the headlights - not strong enough distance output. So, they are now fogs! Instant on is beautiful.

Here are pictures when I was testing them out. I didn't set up a camera to catch real time driving with the LED headlights though, that would've been a good idea.

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
aznstormin, unless you actually DO get a lot of fog in your area, I see the HID lights as a much better & brighter choice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Worked for me at Gillman Nissan in Rosenberg, TX. They never did this before and the techs were excited that it worked. $125 for the charge.

Question - could we just of left the fog lamp switch in the cabin turned on to have the same result as DRL's?

·
Registered
4 Posts
After much research I finally had my fogs programmed to run as DRLs by a Nissan technician this morning...at no charge. Most technicians are not familiar with where to go in the programming as I found out after contacting a few dealers. Below are the main steps that he shared with me.

-Technician needs to get to "Reprogram/Configuration" opening screen.....this takes about 5 to 10 minutes to get into. At this time the BCM needs to be reprogrammed through Consult 3. The second option down is where the DRLs can be turned on.
Worked for me at Gillman Nissan in Rosenberg, TX. They never did this before and the techs were excited that it worked. $125 for the charge.

Question - could we just of left the fog lamp switch in the cabin turned on to have the same result as DRL's?

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Hey guys,

Since we're talking about LED fog lights...

I bought a similar item off of Ebay just to try it out...I LOVE them as fog lights.

Name: 2x Dual Color Yellow White High Power CREE XML2 H8 H11 Fog Light 4000LM LED Bulb
2X Dual Color Yellow White High Power CREE XML2 H8 H11 Fog Light 4000Lm LED Bulb | eBay

Straight PnP. I bought these because you can change them from yellow to white. Initially I wanted LED headlights, but wanted to still use them if I didn't like them as headlights (I like practicality). Results were expected plugging them into the headlights - not strong enough distance output. So, they are now fogs! Instant on is beautiful.

Here are pictures when I was testing them out. I didn't set up a camera to catch real time driving with the LED headlights though, that would've been a good idea.

Enjoy!
Based on the pictures, I advise against using those as daytime running lights. They're not aimed downwards and the lenses allow the light to scatter too much. I don't think they will perform well as fog lights, which must have very tight, well controlled beams, and they will be obnoxious to oncoming drivers and hurt their vision. Sorry, but that's my opinion. I'd love to be wrong about their performance as fog lights, but what I see makes me inclined to doubt their performance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts