Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to remove the tail lights and 3rd brake lights. This is so I can have them tinted (painted).

·
Registered
466 Posts
Dont know about the tail lights but the third brake light is accessible through the top removeable panel on the hatch...

·
4,664 Posts
Pull the black plastic strip off, next to the taillight and it becomes very obvious how it's removed. You'll need to know this, if a bulb burns out!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If anyone has any pics of the tail lights coming off or the upper
brake light please post pics. Sooner or later we are all going to need the bulbs replaced. It is not very evident when looking at the lens as to how to get to the screws.
Thanks Bob1

·
4,664 Posts
Oh, OK, I'll go outside and take some pictures!:D

·
4,664 Posts
The black plastic cover is held on with two pins. You literally pull it off to expose the two bolts that hold the taillight in.

I've circled the bolts in this picture, but you can also see where the pins lock in for the cover. It can be pulled off by hand, but it's pretty secure.

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
Here's the back of the black cover...

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
Now look up... See that cover?

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
Well, you could use something flat and smooth to open it with... But I had my key in hand and it works fine.

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
More parts...

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
OK, may as well have a seat on the back of your Murano and look up. See those two nuts? (No, not jaak and his Murano, the two nuts in the picture!) Take them off and off comes the light. I didn't actually check to see if the light's removable from inside. I suspect it is.

If you think any of this is a nuisance when you need to change a light bulb, you don't want to know about the front!:crazyeye:

Attachments

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
*Shudder* The front is a PITA. I don't ever (praying I never have to) want to change my front lights again. Being that I did it 2x in 2 weeks I am getting pretty good at it, but I'm getting tired of turning the wheels of the car, ripping off the wheel well liner and doing some sick contortionist act to even touch the driving lights...stick with the rear end of the car...much easier, but when you mod the front, it looks much cooler:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Jaak!!!

Got the tails of this weekend. Pretty straight-forward, Just 2 locking pins on the back and a guide pin. Took a little effort, had too rock it out to avoid snapping anything. The 3rd brake light comes out after the 2 nuts are removed, then you need to remove windshield washing hose from the housing. I have sent these pieces out to have them painted/tinted to closer match the rear window tint. will have pics when done!
Anyone interested let me know and I will provide you a contact.

Observations:
To change any bulbs, the tails have to be removed.
Also the 3rd brake light is a enclosed unit containing 12 LEDs, so if something fails, a whole unit is required to replace it ($$$).

·
Registered
758 Posts
Third Brake Light

Thats Interesting that The third brake light is LED. I never noticed that.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Re: Third Brake Light

pcs15394 said:
Thats Interesting that The third brake light is LED. I never noticed that.
Yeah, I never noticed that either...now how do we mod the brake lights to be LED too? :confused: Is this a hard mod to complete?

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Jaak..when you do another mod changing the headlight bulb on the fronts...

could you take pictures and post it?

I have the factory service manual and it does detail out the sketches on the process. Yet, seeing a real photos of how to do it is , i think, better.

Thank you.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
SugarRush,
Dont you have HID? If so, I believe the process is probably different...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Try this... www.superlumination.com. They have direct replacements for the old fashion bulbs. Haven't tried them yet so don't know how bright they really are or how the LEDs will reflect inside the lens.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
FYI:::

(((this post reminds me that///////////////////////)))

I have about 70% of the MO's digital service manual on CD ......

and.......

about the same 70% of the MO's service manual, in a 3-ring binder setup i had made (at kinkos)......

the major missing parts are the engine internals, and tranny.....

make me an offer

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Great job with photos Jaak. We should all bookmark this page. Sooner or later we are all going to need to pull these suckers off to get to the bulbs.
Thanks Bob1

1 - 20 of 42 Posts