Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,
Couple years ago got this dent on the bottom of passenger door from cutting to close to snowbank on tight turn after big storm. Finally got around to contacting local PDR guy who has very god reputation, but he says he can't do it because there is no access at edge of door.

What are you thoughts on how to repair?
1. Contact different PDR place?
2. Try heat and freeze technique with compressed air?
3. Take off door panel and try to,pop it out myself?

Thanks!
Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Try a different shop unless another member has a better suggestion. They should be able to pull that out without much work. Feel your pain on that one. Reminded me of when it happened to my first gen MO. Not a good day...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Try a different shop unless another member has a better suggestion. They should be able to pull that out without much work. Feel your pain on that one. Reminded me of when it happened to my first gen MO. Not a good day...
Thanks, that's my gut feeling too. If I had a strong enough suction cup,I feel I could just pull it out. The dent does not extend to the crease above on the door ( ...although hard to tell from wavy reflections in photos).

Anyone else try the hairdryer and compresed air technique?
http://youtu.be/y9OGa9vB42Q

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I investigated starting a PDR mobile shop a few years ago. I watched many vids.
One guy shot it with ice cold spray, maybe it was liquid nitro or something and then used a heat gun.

By the time you get all the right stuff, maybe worth it just to e-mail the pics a local PDR guy and get an estimate. My guess will be between 100-$150. May be worth it as that would drive me insane knowing it was there.

·
Registered
726 Posts
With the interior door panel off do you have access to the back of the dent?

A lot of PDR places won't remove panels because they don't want to deal with the time it takes and the risk of damaging something but if you take the panel off ahead of time getting them access they'll do the paint work.

A local car club I'm in organizes a PDR meet about once a year. A couple real good PDR guys come out on their day off and we all pay cash (for a nice discount) for them to go car to car removing dents.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the interior door panel off do you have access to the back of the dent?

A lot of PDR places won't remove panels because they don't want to deal with the time it takes and the risk of damaging something but if you take the panel off ahead of time getting them access they'll do the paint work.

A local car club I'm in organizes a PDR meet about once a year. A couple real good PDR guys come out on their day off and we all pay cash (for a nice discount) for them to go car to car removing dents.
I like the car club idea, have too see if any around here do that.

I have not taken door panel off yet...I am scared too, as everytime I have done this to install speakers, I break a clip. Seems like everytime I figure out how the clips work, they change design on my next car....:eek:

Think I will try that next.. I am sure I can at least get a butter knife in there, and combined with gentle heating, may be all it requires.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I am scared too, as everytime I have done this to install speakers, I break a clip. Seems like everytime I figure out how the clips work, they change design on my next car.
Which is exactly why the PDR place told you they couldn't do it. At our last "dent meet" we had a couple guys told that only to leave and come back with the panel removed and the PDR guys were able to remove the dents.

I've had three dents removed via PDR (one GTO, two Murano) and you can't tell where either of them were. One on the Murano was on a crease and they still made it disappear. A good PDR guy makes it look so easy but I know better than to try DIYing something like this. It takes a lot of practice and skill.

·
Registered
19 Posts
they drill a access hole and put in a plug when finished. They don't have to remove the panel. you can buy panel removal tools on amazon I have them they work great never broke a clip yet. Mac

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update - I got most of it out with a long screwdriver - maybe 20% remains... Once the snow melts, I will go back and see if I can pop the last part out with dent puller and judicious us of a knockdown tool for the crease.
With all the road salt and grime, can't see it at all right now :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
I know the limits of my skill. If I tried to improve that form the back side I'd end up with outward-facing marks. If you do better, more power to you!

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
The first "body work" I ever did was on a 1972 Toyota Corolla with huge dents on the doors. I thought removing the panels and glass and getting to the dents from behind was too much work...so I just filled everything with bondo... :)

I think I used almost two gallons of bondo... :) Doors looked ok after paint was done, but each door now weighted a ton!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts