Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know, it's just been announced, and the recall letters haven't gone out. But to track this well, post when you get the recall letter. If the first to get it, could post the contents, that would be great as well.

Then, post your experience with the Nissan dealer in getting it done. Let's make sure no one pays for services that should not be charged. First ones in line, let's give the rest, the info they need for a smooth repair.

(Oh, and don't be afraid to suggest people on other forums to join in!) I did a quick Google on Murano Alternator Recall Nissan, and the failures are mentioned on lots of forums!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had my alternator replaced in June '05. My experience with Regal Nissan, Huntsville AL was excellent, with the exception that the service dept. was not open on the weekend (my alternator failed on a Saturday). They had replacement alternators in stock and was replaced the same day. Note: In order to get to the alternator the radiator has to be remove to get to the alternator, so there is a fair amount of time to complete the replacement. Therefore, if the dealer has a lot of replacements to make it might take longer than one day.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Got this off of the Nissan dealer site

CAMPAIGN I.D. #: P5215
APPLIED VEHICLE: 2003-05 Murano (Z50) – 2WD and AWD Models
APPLIED VINS: 2003 MY - 2WD: JN8AZ08T*3W100007-123688
2003 MY - AWD: JN8AZ08W*3W200005-238520
2004 MY - 2WD: JN8AZ08T*4W200003-228686
2004 MY - AWD: JN8AZ08W*4W300006-343525
2005 MY - 2WD: JN8AZ08T*5W300104-302827
2005 MY - AWD: JN8AZ08W*5W400011-404496
NOTE: Use Service Comm (P5215) to confirm eligibility.

Subject: 2003-2005 Murano Alternator Voluntary Safety Recall Campaign
Attention – Dealer Principals, Sales, Parts and Service Managers
***** Campaign Announcement *****
Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Safety Recall Campaign on approximately 125,466
Model Year 2003-2005 Nissan Murano vehicles. On the affected vehicles, there is a
possibility that a rotor coil wire in the alternator may break, causing the Charge
Warning and Brake Warning lamps to illuminate, the battery to discharge and, after
a short time, the engine to go into “fail safe” mode and eventually stop if the vehicle
continues to be driven.
To prevent this from occurring, Nissan will inspect and, if necessary, replace the
alternator.
****** Dealer Inventory *****
Federal law requires that new vehicles in dealer inventory which are the subject of a
safety recall must be corrected prior to delivery under a sale or lease. Failure to do
so can result in civil penalties by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
(NHTSA).
Note: Vehicles produced after 9/24/04 are not affected by this campaign. Our
records indicate that fewer than 900 vehicles affected by this campaign remain in
dealer inventory.
Effective July 15, please use Service Comm (P5215) to determine which 2005
Murano vehicles, if any, in your inventory may require this campaign repair prior to
being retailed.
****** Repair Instructions *****
Interim Repair Instructions containing the specific inspection and repair procedures,
parts requirements and related claims information for this campaign are available on
NNAnet.com under My Documents in the Service/Campaigns folder.
***** Parts Availability *****
An adequate supply of alternators (P/N 2310M-CN10AR) is available for this
campaign. The alternator and other campaign related parts can be ordered via the
normal parts ordering process.
***** Owner Notification *****
Nissan will begin to mail Owner Notification letters on August 1, 2005 to all affected
owners.
If you have any additional questions related to this campaign, please contact your
Dealer Parts and Service Manager (DPSM).
Nissan Parts and Service Operations
07/13/2005

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nissan will inspect and, if necessary, replace the alternator.

Mine's in the list. Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
jaak said:
Nissan will inspect and, if necessary, replace the alternator.

Mine's in the list. Hmmm...
All this means is that if a previous failure resulted in the installation of the updated alternator, you won't get another one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does that mean if you have NOT had a previous failure, the alternator WILL be replaced?

I'm picturing bringing this into the dealer, and having some tech "inspect" it and say "Nah....looks ok to me." and then having a failure a week later. I have not had the failure, but I hold my breath whenever I need to travel any distance.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
fdonaghy said:
Does that mean if you have NOT had a previous failure, the alternator WILL be replaced?

I'm picturing bringing this into the dealer, and having some tech "inspect" it and say "Nah....looks ok to me." and then having a failure a week later. I have not had the failure, but I hold my breath whenever I need to travel any distance.
They will first check to make sure your VIN# falls under the recall, then they will check the part number on the alternator. If its not the updated unit, they will replace it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Re: Got this off of the Nissan dealer site

shappy0869, can you post a link to the dealer site?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow... there is a recall

And if it doesn't apply to vehicles who have had the alternators replaced (including mine), then how can this fix the potential problem of secondary failure (which, according to the forum, HAS in fact occurred?)

Just wondering...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Jeannie said:
Wow... there is a recall
Do you happen to know if it is limited to Nissan USA, or if Nissan Canada is included also?
And if it doesn't apply to vehicles who have had the alternators replaced (including mine), then how can this fix the potential problem of secondary failure (which, according to the forum, HAS in fact occurred?)

Just wondering...
This covers Canada as well. No where is it listed that it does not cover vehicles that have already been repaired. It only does not cover a repair that used the updated alternator, which is a new design that is not supposed to fail due to the CVT changing speeds quickly. If you've already gotten an UPDATED alternator, then why would want them to replace it again?

·
Registered
29 Posts
wow eric... you are TOO fast!! You quoted me before I edited my post about Nissan Canada (which I found in another thread... I should READ before I yak!)

Insofaras re-replacement, I thought I read somewhere else that they weren't going to replace those that had been replaced, but I assume all that were replaced weren't necessarily the updated version, or they wouldn't fail again.. i'm guessing?

That said, please 'scuse me while I retreat back to my forum lurking position...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Aw, crap - just checked. My replaced alternator is the old one. I THOUGHT most of the old ones were out of the pipeline, but I checked my service order dated 6/6/05 - part number 23100-CN100R. NOT the new 2310M-CN10AR number. So it looks like I'll be going through the repair again.

Crap...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Jim C said:
Aw, crap - just checked. My replaced alternator is the old one. I THOUGHT most of the old ones were out of the pipeline, but I checked my service order dated 6/6/05 - part number 23100-CN100R. NOT the new 2310M-CN10AR number. So it looks like I'll be going through the repair again.

Crap...
Same here. Alternator replaced three weeks ago. I wonder when they started using the new improved model? My alternator had only been on the shelf for a week.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think discussion of this alternator is very important. Especially because of the safety issue involved.

However, I think we should keep the discussion to the Alternator Recall thread as much as possible to avoid cross-postinig and duplication of questions and information. We ended up with a lot of Alternator threads during the investigation, and they all served their purpose. But here's a chance to get everyone "on the same page", so to speak, and maximize the efficiency of the information distribution and discussion while this topic is so new.

The letters won't go out for a while, but maybe we can keep this thread to jaak's original idea of reports back about alternators replaced under recall.

Just a suggestion until we know more about the recall. Thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nissan of Buena Park

I got my alternator replaced today. I had scheduled an appointment to get some other things checked out and the service advisor actually, without me prompting for information, brought the recall to my attention. He asked if it was O.K. for them to replace it and of course I wouldn't object. Overall, the experience was positive. It took longer than I was hoping, about 5 hours, but he told me they needed to remove the front bumper, along with the core support, and either lower or move the radiator but I can't remember for sure. Seems like if you are in SoCal, this would be a good dealership to go to for the recall.

'03 Murano SL FWD, All options except NAV, heated seats

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Nissan of Buena Park

DCMurano4 said:
I got my alternator replaced today. I had scheduled an appointment to get some other things checked out and the service advisor actually, without me prompting for information, brought the recall to my attention. He asked if it was O.K. for them to replace it and of course I wouldn't object. Overall, the experience was positive. It took longer than I was hoping, about 5 hours, but he told me they needed to remove the front bumper, along with the core support, and either lower or move the radiator but I can't remember for sure. Seems like if you are in SoCal, this would be a good dealership to go to for the recall.

'03 Murano SL FWD, All options except NAV, heated seats
There is now a revised service procedure for the alternator which doesn't require the dealer to remove as many components. In either case, you didn't pay for the labor so in the end it doesn't matter (except making you wait).

·
Registered
593 Posts
Re: Re: Nissan of Buena Park

Eric L. said:
There is now a revised service procedure for the alternator which doesn't require the dealer to remove as many components.
I suggest that everyone print out the following Technical Service Bulletin link with the revised alternator replacement procedure (which does not remove the radiator) before going in for the new alternator and ask them to staple it to the service order just in case.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Nissan of Buena Park

zofsuvs said:

I suggest that everyone print out the following Technical Service Bulletin link with the revised alternator replacement procedure (which does not remove the radiator) before going in for the new alternator and ask them to staple it to the service order just in case.
I saw a copy of the recall bulletin at the dealership. It has the revised procedure.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts