Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to pose a question regarding the difference in the horse power within the Nissan / Infiniti line:

1. Murano - 245 HP
2. G-Sedan - 260 HP
3. Maxima - 265 HP
4. G-Coupe - 280 HP
5. Z-Coupe - 287 HP

What makes the difference in the HP? They all seem to share the same 3.5 V6 engine. Could our beloved Murano be tuned up to 287 HP?

Any thoughts?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,042 Posts
HP

1. Look at the power curves.

2. Same basic engine, but the tuning is different, this can be ignition timing, different profile on the cams, and intake and exhaust manifold characteristics.

3. A new cam, can more than make up the difference.

I'll check out some cam shops and add more later.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,042 Posts
HP

Several changes were made to bump power in the Z version of the engine. Since the Z's engine is longitudinal, it received a new intake manifold. The new manifold is a two-stage design, The Z engine hasl get variable cam timing on both the intake and exhaust cams--the Maxima and Altima has this feature only on the intake side. Also a change in the cam spec from that of the Altima and Maxima, but the 6500-rpm redline remained. Two catalytic converters (one on each side) are placed immediately after the exhaust manifold collectors in each downpipe.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
In addition to engine internals, the ECU's are also tuned differently to take advantage of the more aggressive parts in the higher hp engines. The 350Z also has a tuned exhaust system too (I read that aftermarket exhaust setups for the 350Z yield minimal gains due the stocker being rather good already).

·
Registered
417 Posts
I read somewhere the higher hp VQ's (287 hp) are "balanced and blueprinted". All reciprocating parts are perfectly balanced, the combustion chambers are "cc'd", heads and intake runners are ported and polished....in other words hand built....seems hard to believe with the high number of these engines built.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The 6-speed G35c now has 298hp I believe, eclipsing the 350Z. Thats the new high number for the VQ35DE.

·
Registered
442 Posts
senza said:
I read somewhere the higher hp VQ's (287 hp) are "balanced and blueprinted". All reciprocating parts are perfectly balanced, the combustion chambers are "cc'd", heads and intake runners are ported and polished....in other words hand built....seems hard to believe with the high number of these engines built.
Very hard to believe indeed, in the numbers the VQ is being produced. Doubt a $30,000 car is going to have what you are describing... basically a hand built engine. Any chance the info came from a salesman?

·
My MO's faster than yours
444 Posts
Halo said:

Very hard to believe indeed, in the numbers the VQ is being produced. Doubt a $30,000 car is going to have what you are describing... basically a hand built engine. Any chance the info came from a salesman?
The $25,000 Integra type-R's had Handbuilt engines.....But then again..they were limited production

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
First off you would need to find a way to mount the 350Z's longitudinal engine into the transversely mounted engine bay of the Murano. Very rarely do FWD (Murano) and RWD (350Z) engines mix. Besides wrecking the CVT, I doubt it can be done without a huge expense. Might as well upgrade to an FX45 if you really want the power.

You might have more luck trying to mount an Altima or Maxima engine, but then all bets are off for attaching the CVT.

·
444 Posts
Eric L. said:
First off you would need to find a way to mount the 350Z's longitudinal engine into the transversely mounted engine bay of the Murano. Very rarely do FWD (Murano) and RWD (350Z) engines mix. Besides wrecking the CVT, I doubt it can be done without a huge expense. Might as well upgrade to an FX45 if you really want the power.

You might have more luck trying to mount an Altima or Maxima engine, but then all bets are off for attaching the CVT.

I think you read my post incorrectly. I was talking about swaping the " CAMS" not the whole engine....

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
b0xdesigns said:

I think you read my post incorrectly. I was talking about swaping the " CAMS" not the whole engine....

My mistake!

JWT has a set of aftermarket cams for the VQ35DE - I wonder if they would be better than the 350Z cams. No one has ever modified a Murano like this yet, so I think the only way to find out is to do it!

·
444 Posts
The only reason i ask is cause i have a buddy selling his stock 350z cams to me for $80...which isn't too bad....Its alot cheaper than aftermarket cams

·
444 Posts
Nevermind....I was reading through the Altima forum....Some guy on there compared most of the engine parts # with the Z's and came out identical.....The only differences between the Z, Max, Alti, G35, Coupe, FX35, etc's engines is breathing and minor ECU tweaks.

Looks like I won't get those cams

·
Registered
442 Posts
b0xdesigns said:

The $25,000 Integra type-R's had Handbuilt engines.....But then again..they were limited production
My other car is fairly limited production. The marketing hype construes it as "hand built" with a higher specific output than the ITR's.

Below is a link to a pic of the #1 cylinder intake port on another F20c (not mine). Note that it has some burr marks, someone at the factory did remove flashing from the aluminum casting by hand but this is not the same thing as a blueprinted, engine with polished ports, manifold etc.

http://www.s2000.org/mods/insulator/image50.jpg

My point is "don't believe the hype!" in response to this statement:
All reciprocating parts are perfectly balanced, the combustion chambers are "cc'd", heads and intake runners are ported and polished....in other words hand built....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts