Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my iPAQ Bluetooth Navigation System a few days ago and so far I've been delighted with it.

I'll get a picture on here later, once I take one...

First impressions are that it does everything I need it to do. I've found it quite good in it's routing and re-routing when I don't follow it's instructions. The accuracy has been great and it amazes me how good most street addresses have been.

Now, to steal from Enforcer's suggestions

"Particulary, guidance cues, map detail, course plotting, interface, changing routes on the move, coordinate system, WAAS enabled"

Guidance cues have been perfect so far, map detail is fine, I see all I want, course plotting is adjustable, interface is easy to use, changing routes on the move, well, auto routing and re-routing is seamless, but changing routes while driving could get risky.

Co-ordinate system? I'm not sure what you mean? I can see lat/long if that's what you mean...

The bluetooth GPS receiver is OEM'd and identical externally to a number of other products out there. On GPS Passion it looks like the GlobalStar unit, if I recall correctly and seem to have the same features and capabilities including the limited Bluetooth range (which really hasn't been a problem.)

The software does not have a 3D view (I'm trying to figure out why I need that...)

Overall, I could have bought someone elses, as there were things I've seen that I've liked, but my wife works at HP, so the employee discounts made it attractive.

I like the fact that my iPAQ charger works with it, so I can use either the car charger or wall charger on either unit.

It's still quite new to me, so I'll post again with more detail, pictures and if I can figure out how to do it, some screen shots.

As far as I can tell, the whole thing is OEM'd by HP, not made by them. The software looks very very close to the software used by Navman, so I don't know if it's Navman's or if Navman OEM's from the same people.

WAAS? As far as I know, the receiver's capable of it, but I've not seen reference to it in the software. So if I decide to change software down the road, I expect I'll be able to use it. (or it's using it already...)

It links into the 4,000 contacts I have loaded in my iPAQ so I can select any one of them and navigate to their location. Really love that part!

The receiver also works fine with my MS Pocket Streets. While not a navigation system, it does allow me to see how many of my customers are nearby to my location which is useful on the rare occasion when I have time to killl...

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Very interesting. Where is the antenna located? What about the mapping software? For instance mapsend makes you define a region for download to a handheld magellan, and that region can only be so large even if you have a larger memory module installed.

Yes Lat/Long, sometimes I have the need to use MGRS. What DATUMS does it support eg wgs84, nadc, etc?

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a bunch of screen shots... Compressed and crammed together, but it gives you an idea!

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a clear image

Attachments

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
i am using the same software for 1.5 yrs now...(m)

It is by navtech, the company that produced the gps software for bmw, audi, land rover, and most important, mapquest and yahoomaps. You can install it to a pda or laptop. By far it is one of the best software in the market! I tested microsoft street and delorme's atlas, compare to inav, they sux!

I am using Inav's newer version released curently, ver 2003/2004. Just got it in the mail last week. Compare to earlier vesion (JAAk's picture shown above), the new version is --capable of doing 3d plot/nav ! The YES! 3d nav! Exactly like the OEM murano's 3d landscape navigation will do. Cool eh? Will try to post some pictures ~.

Also, the new version have faster algorithm in plotting routes, highways roads upgrade, canada's map complete, more point of interest POI, and more routing parameters (avoid highway, tollroads etc).

·
Registered
136 Posts
SugarRush, You are using Navtech software with a PDA? Which PDA are you using?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an IPAQ 3765 and I am trying to figure out which GPS system to buy with it. There are 3 listed on the HP website that are compatible with my IPAQ:

1: Pocket CoPilot 3.0 from TravRoute

2: Navman GPS 3420

3: GPS PCMCIA from Teletype

It looks like the Navman GPS 3420 is the best choice. Anybody agree?

·
5,268 Posts
Navman GPS 3420 has been replaced with 3450. Check the link: 3450

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Navtech on ipaq 3875

Yes i am using the navtech software on the ipaq!
INAV is the company that release iguidance for pda/laptop= navtech....Hang out in www.gpspassion.com, do a search in the forum.

For PPC (pocket pc) gps setup, it turns out that there are many paths you can go. I myself, never buy those gps bundle like: Pocket CoPilot 3.0 from TravRoute, Navman GPS 3420 or GPS PCMCIA from Teletype. Reason: they are slightly overprice!
For my gps setup, excluding the ipaq, i spent a mere of $220
(antenna $50, software $80, wiring $10, CF memory card 512MB = $80)

Several guidelines for PPC GPS shopping:

- dont buy any gps antenna that slide in to the ipaq sleeve.
You need to get a clear sky view for the antenna to be able to transmit signals. If you mount your ipaq on the winshield, this is find. But most ppl never do this, They mount their ipaq close to dashboard or even near the AC vents. Hence, the signal will be blocked either by the roof or the dash itself.

- look for bluetooth ($$$) or mouse gps ($$)
I myself use radioshack mouse gps "digitraveller" from delorme.
Since the bluetooth solution is too pricey, i hard wire the cable in my MO to look stealth. Works ok. Mount the antenna near the front speakers. Mount the ipaq near the the cupholder.

- Any gps antenna that used NMEA protocol is ok.
NMEA = the universal protocol most gps software can talk to.

- What matters is to get a good software! Spend your money on this and less money on the antenna. GPs antena is really cheap nowadays. My family is in ship tanker business, ships used lots if gps antenna. They have become cheaper and cheaper~ Search in ebay!

Hang out in gpspassion.com forum.
Software suggestion: iguidance by navtech. :D

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I, too, am looking at the Ipaq Navigation System. It looks very good. Anyone know how it compares with Destinator or TomTom?

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
A friend use Tom Tom ...(m)

See gpspassion.com, there was a recent review of tomtom GPS.

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahhh.. You guys are great. I was hoping someone would recognise the software!!!

The GPS is also OEM'd under a bunch of other names, so if you see one that looks identical except for the label, it probably is....

Now I'm looking at my Garmin Power adapter cable and the extra power adapter that came for the iPAQ, with the Navigation system and I'm thinking I'll build an interface cable so the eTrex Legend I have will also be able to serve the iPAQ software....

That way I'll have both a wired and wireless solution!

I wonder if NAVTECH has upgrades that will work? I think I'll go look at the website. I also need maps for Germany as my wife's going there in February.

I finally took a picture of it...

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Enforcer said:
Very interesting. Where is the antenna located? What about the mapping software? For instance mapsend makes you define a region for download to a handheld magellan, and that region can only be so large even if you have a larger memory module installed.

Yes Lat/Long, sometimes I have the need to use MGRS. What DATUMS does it support eg wgs84, nadc, etc?
To answer these questions....

The antenna is located whereever you decide to put the thing. Being bluetooth, cables aren't an issue, only recharging. If you want an external antenna, there's a connector for one.

You define states and provinces to load, or a distance from a city. I've got a 256M SD card, so I load up a fairly large area.

As far as MGRS, I'd have to know what it is, to comment on it! That goes for the rest of the question as well....:D

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And the iPAQ Bluetooth Receiver is made by Globalsat in Taiwan.

http://www.globalsat.com.tw

BT-308 Bluetooth GPS receiver

Features:
1. Wireless GPS using Bluetooth technology
2. Communicate with Host Platform via Bluetooth Serial Profile
3. SiRF Star II/LP high performance and low power consumption chipset
4. All-in-view 12-channel parallel processing
5. Built-in SuperCap to reserve system data for rapid satellite acquistion.
6. Supported NMEA 0183 command:GGA, GSA, GSV, RMC, GLL, VTG
7. GPS/Bluetooth/Battery LED indicators
8. Non-slip on the bottom
9. Built-in Lithium-ion rechargeable battery

Specification:
Channels 12 parallel channels
Output Messages NMEA 0183 V2.2 protocol and supports command:
GGA, GSA, GSV, RMC, VTG, GLL
Hot Start 8 sec., average
Warm Start 38 sec., average
Cold Start 45 sec., average
Acceleration Limit < 4g
Altitude Limit 18,000m
Re-acquisition 100ms
Velocity Limit 515 meters/sec
Time Accuracy 1us synchronized to GPS time
Position Accuacy 15m 2D RMS without SA {BR} 10m 2D RMS WAAS enabled
Supply Voltage Build-in rechargeable battery and 5V
DC input charging circuit
Operation Time 8hr. After fully charged, in continuous mode
Dimension 84mm*47mm*27mm
Storage Temperature -30~85
Operation Temperature -20~80
Humidity Up to 95% non-Condensing

Now I have to figure out how I'll mount it in the Murano, and I'd also like to tap into the sound system's audio. Wish I could use the standard Navigation audio input, but the Murano's Nav sends some command to the sound system first to enable it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Would especially like to see pics when you mount it.

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah me too... I'm trying to figure out the best way to get there, make it look well integrated and not get in my way, while being very accessable.

My wife uses a Proclip from Brodit in her Ford Taurass and I was fooling around with the iPAQ Nav System and discovered the Proclip was adjustable. Took her phone out, slid out the side clips and put them back in on the widest position and the iPAQ fit wonderfully.

The solution is two parts, the bracket and the clip. I'm not thrilled on the brackets for the Murano, but the clip is great. I may make my own bracket, as I did for my Cell phone mount and buy the Proclip.

There's vendors out there that make brackets that fit the iPAQ perfectly and also give power and audio connections, so that's an alternative....

Here's the profit in the Taurus...

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And the iPAQ mounted... The position helps with the audio from the iPAQ as well, it's loud enough and not muffled at all.

In the Murano, I even tried a tape adapter for audio into the system, but then you can't use anything else. Well I can play MP3's off the iPAQ at the same time, and that works very well, but then there's a wire hanging out of the tape slot. (It's not easy being picky!)

Attachments

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Jaak, several alternatives..(m)

- use fm modulator on the ipaq, so there is no cable hanging out from the cassete slot

- I use plastic cable wrapper/protector (from homedepot). Gather all my cable into it, slight it under driver side, hardwired the gps entenna to murano's power , use power inverter for the ipaq, slide the hanging cable under streering, use black double tape to make it stick there and surrounding the lower dash.
Look stealthy enough.

- those proclips mount are cool. Try also http://www.seidioonline.com
mount. Highly recomended by gpspassionforum ppl.

- i can not use those clips. Why? Because my ipaq is 3875 wit the batery and pcmcia expansion sleeve. I need the additional pcmcia expansion sleeve to have Compactflash memory slot. I use 512MB CF to load almost the entire east coast maps. CF cost up to 50% less than SD card. Also, having expansion sleeve means extra batery and extra charging port for the ipaq. I can use my gps antenna and at the same time provide charging to the ipaq.

·
Registered
17 Posts
One GPS product that I have been using on my IPAQ 3765 is DESTINATOR.

http://www.destinator1.com

Simply put, I just love this product. I have used it in USA and Canada and its awesome. Now I have a NAV in my MO so I don't use it that much only when traveling and using a rental car.

This was not my first GPS unit. Pocket CoPilot was that first which I returned after 2 weeks because frankly it sucked. This was about 2 years ago so who knows it may have got better.

After reading all the new features on the latest version of Destinator, 3.0, I found that it does almost everything that MO NAV does. Of course, there are some limitations but hey, it costs almost $1100 less.

As far as customer services is concerned, the guys at DESTINATOR are great. So far I have had only one problem related to a patch for Active Sync 3.7 which was resolved in about 20 min.

If anyone asks me, I would DEFINITELY tell him to buy DESTINATOR.

Happy GPSing...

1 - 20 of 83 Posts