Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a few occasions now I've noticed that when there is allot of moisture in the air, my infotainment system doesnt work as it should.

It's only happened a few times, but everytime it does, it's usually when there is allot of fog outside.

A few days ago it was really foggy in the area. I got into the car and began to drive. I noticed halfway through my trip that that the "tune up" and "tune down" toggle on the steering wheel wasnt working and so wasnt the cluster screen selector button.

Then I noticed that the radio station wasnt appearing in the cluster screen, nor was the volume level indicator when adjusted the volume.

On the actual screen itself, nothing worked except for AM and FM radio. I was able to select the other options but they did not work. Eventually FM and AM stopped working. Only way to get it to work was using the voice command prompt "play FM blah blah blah".

Later that day when the fog died down everything went back to normal. On the following days it's been working flawless.

Anyone experience this before? I know electronics dont do well with water (duh) but I'm starting to think Nissan (or whoever makes the infotainment... Panasonic?) didnt do a great job sealing the electronics.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Clarion makes the head unit, until '19 when Nissan swapped to Bosch, hence connectors changing locations.

I'm assuming that you're using the CC system while driving in the fog. Yaya, I know, makes an a** out of you and me, but I gotta start somewhere, lol.

After removing the Negative battery cable, I would pull the radio and run the CC at the same settings and see if the system is directing air up to the back of the audio unit. Only unplug the radio, not the black box under it, also attached to the mounting brackets! Examine the audio unit for moisture issues/damage.

Right behind and below the radio is the ductwork for the CC. The ducts basically have just little bumps that interlock and can come apart very easily, allowing air to blow out where it shouldn't.

Check CC cabin filter for excessive moisture and proper drainage from that area. Drain tube is visible when changing cabin filter. Use a light source to examine, as best you can, the cabin filter box for debris and excessive moisture. Run a stiff wire down the drain tube, accessible at the bottom of the open cabin filter box. Filter should actually help to dry the air out to a certain extent, along with the A/C.

Hope this helps out.

Have a good day.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
822 Posts
I assume by "CC system" you perhaps mean the AC (air conditioner) system?

I was scratching my head at first... lol

·
Registered
822 Posts
Ahh, now I got it, Climate Control system. My head must be in a fog today lol

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clarion makes the head unit, until '19 when Nissan swapped to Bosch, hence connectors changing locations.

I'm assuming that you're using the CC system while driving in the fog. Yaya, I know, makes an a** out of you and me, but I gotta start somewhere, lol.

I would pull the radio and run the CC at the same settings and see if the system is directing air up to the back of the audio unit. Only unplug the radio, not the black box under it, also attached to the mounting brackets! Examine the audio unit for moisture issues/damage.

Right behind and below the radio is the ductwork for the CC. The ducts basically have just little bumps that interlock and can come apart very easily, allowing air to blow out where it shouldn't.

Check CC cabin filter for excessive moisture and proper drainage from that area. Drain tube is visible when changing cabin filter. Use a light source to examine, as best you can, the cabin filter box for debris and excessive moisture. Run a stiff wire down the drain tube, accessible at the bottom of the open cabin filter box. Filter should actually help to dry the air out to a certain extent, along with the A/C.

Hope this helps out.

Have a good day.
Thanks! Awesome advise as always.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Be sure to remove the Negative battery cable before starting. Part of the security system runs thru the head unit. Removing the top 40 pin connector while the battery is connected has the potential to blow part of the communication circuit dealing with FOB security and settings.

Removing the radio fuse only will NOT prevent this from happening. All power needs to be removed from the vehicle before dealing with the audio head unit.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanknyou
Be sure to remove the Negative battery cable before starting. Part of the security system runs thru the head unit. Removing the top 40 pin connector while the battery is connected has the potential to blow part of the communication circuit dealing with FOB security and settings.

Removing the radio fuse only will NOT prevent this from happening. All power needs to be removed from the vehicle before dealing with the audio head unit.

Have a good day.
Thank you. I'm aware of that, but do appreciate the info just incase I wasnt or anyone else reading this post isnt.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Good luck with this issue Vortex. I know just like me and a few others, you haven't been lucky with your vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts