Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nissan is going to put hybrid Murano out in 2008. Hybrid unit will be made by Toyota. So, what is that going to be? If they put GT-C engine with that... that will be a fun car.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
IT that True or just a funner ?

:confused:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
yoyash-

I don't think it is a hybrid in the true sense of the word. From what I have read, the "new" turbocharged Murano is not a gas/electric hybrid. The references to hybrid pertain to the turbocharger itself. The turbocharger is being called a "hybrid" by Nissan marketing personnel because it uses a Garret T-3 turbine section coupled to a Garret T-4 compressor section.

Or I could be wrong. Flip a coin.

-njjoe

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think there is a confusion. NIssan is planning to put hybrid Murano utilizing Toyota hybrid unit in summer of 2008. I just said it would be fun to see that car with 350hp engine. Actual hybrid car will have a normal engine... sorry for the confusion...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I would imagine the normal hybrid would get the 2.5L engine from the Altima along with a licensed version of Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive. Its not such a stretch - after all the Murano is pretty much an Altima crossover.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i hope they couple it with the 3.5 rather than then the 2.5(beacause of the recent oil consumption findings) and besides, toyota's got a v6 and soon v8 hybrid, why can't nissan.

·
Registered
191 Posts
This would seem to fit with the introduction of the next Generation Murano.....if they can keep the performance up - I'd certainly look at this option.

·
Registered
188 Posts
ekaxel said:
I don't either:
The Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. the high-class SUV ' Mullah no ' sets the hybrid car. The possibility that it throws to the American market around 2008 summer. The hybrid system which is loaded onto the Mullah no receives supply from the Toyota Motor Corporation, obtains cooperation even with development.

The plan where NISSAN most volume sales sedan ' アルãƒ�E‚£ãƒ�E' in the American market loads the Toyota hybrid system, the market throws on end of this year.

Emission control classified by manufacturer of California state (CAFE) being something which corresponds, we had decided to set the hybrid to also the Mullah no of popularity model. As for NISSAN under present conditions "as for hybrid technology the policy for the time being of purchasing technology and コンãƒ�ã�Eãƒ�ンãƒ�Efrom Toyota niche" (Carlos ゴーン president) as, is set forth.

Mullah?! Freaking online translator.....

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
ra3boy-

Yeah, that was a big help. So, what color is your "Mullah no"? :2:

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Rumor has it that the upcoming Altima hybrid will have 225hp, up from the previously reported 200hp. I'd say thats plenty for a hybrid version of the Murano, if its fuel economy they are concerned about. Nissan licensed Toyota's hybrid synergy drive, so it will be a full hybrid, not a mild one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Why is a hybrid model so important?

I'm all for technology, but is it really worth what I'm sure will be a substantial increase in price (or a substantial decrease in features to offset it) to save 7-10mpg?

Judging by current hybrids available it will have:
-lower power
-heavier (less handling)
-a big battery pack that may or may not take up extra space but also supposedly will need replacement somewhere around 100k miles costing $5k+
-which also will reduce your resale value as any hybrid comes nearer to that mark w/ a looming battery replacement

Add to this, Assume a hybrid costs $5k more than it's combustion only counterpart. I'll round figures but currently we are paying about $0.15/mile to drive our MOs. Assume you get 30mpg (generous possibly) in the hybrid, that equates to roughly $0.10/mile. It will take you 100k miles to make up the deficit (at which time you need to plan to replace the aforementioned battery ;) )

So is it really worth it? Studies have shown our current state of IC engines produce SO much less contaminents that I hardly see much extra "planet saving" going on.

Just food for thought :), /soapbox now :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I don't think anyone is saying here that the hybrid is better per se, and its pretty clear that without the tax incentives, current hybrids would be a huge losing proposition as far as overall costs are concerned (for the customer, they will always be a loss for the manufacturer). The appeal of a hybrid is mainly for the sense of using less fuel *now* and polluting less *now* - and that is worth the added cost for people concerned with the environment (and must drive).

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
It will be interesting if it gets the Toyota Highlander/Lexus RX400 full AWD hybrid system, or if they retain the MO transfer case/driveshaft.
Toyota's saves a lot of space and weigfht, which goes into batteries and motors.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
In many states hybrids are permitted to use HOV lanes, regardless of the number of people in the car.

-njjoe

·
Registered
204 Posts
Honestly, you could just as easily say that hybrids are popular right now because of the "cool factor" and a new height of technology and I would understand why people are excited about them and pay the premium. Why in the world does anyone NEED to buy an Porsche when an Altima will get you to work just fine, because we WANT it :D

My purpose for posting is merely to offer up food for though on the downside of a Hybrid.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Glad the Hybrid is made by Toyota

Now who is going to provide the warranty? Nissan if so I would not buy it consider thethings like the transfer and tranny costs being talked about on this forum plus the average joy with Stealer repairs.

Considering the time to get the bugs out of the Mo I think 2010 may be the earilest.

·
Registered
438 Posts
sobamanismo said:
Honestly, you could just as easily say that hybrids are popular right now because of the "cool factor" and a new height of technology and I would understand why people are excited about them and pay the premium. Why in the world does anyone NEED to buy an Porsche when an Altima will get you to work just fine, because we WANT it :D

My purpose for posting is merely to offer up food for though on the downside of a Hybrid.

The cool factor is unquestionably a strong motivator. Ever wonder why the Prius outsells the Civic Hybrid by a huge margin? It's because a Prius, even from a distance, says HYBRID to everyone around while a Civic Hybrid is a much more subtle statement.

I was perusing the Prius boards a while back (reason being, a thread there about the performance capabilites got cross posted in another car forum I frequent). Anyway, the majority of those owners say they bought for the lower emissions. Which, in city driving at least, are significant over a comparable non-hybrid car.

Some of the other Toyota hybrids (GS, RX) are marketed for better perfomance rather than environmental issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts