Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I pulled the MO inside the garage to clean. Opened the rear hatch. Noticed a very small clearance to the garage door but figured it would be okay as it was not hitting it.

Then I decided to take the trash out...

Clicked on the garage door opener, it went up, and hooked onto the hatch, pulling it up with it, rocking the whole car, and then it slid and got hooked again and this time it did not let go. By the time I got to the garage door opener emergency off switch the garage door opener motor had overloaded and stopped on it own.

You should have seen my face. I was so angry at myself for doing this. Had to use a lot of force to push the garage door away to release it from the hatch, and in the process I cut my finger which later took a few stitches to close-up. But I did not care, I was so worried about the damage I had done to my MO.

I am so happy to report that the only damage my MO suffered was a small scratch on the edge of the hatch which I promptly covered with some touch-up paint. Had this been a metal hatch the damage would have been extensive. The garage door opener motor on the other hand took a a lot more work to reset and finally operational again!

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SyntaxSinner said:
Good thing your Mo is ok....

Oh by the way hows your finger?:2:
Thanks for asking. It is actually the same finger that pushed the button on the garage door opener so it very much deserved what it got! :banghead:

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
SyntaxSinner said:
Good thing your Mo is ok....

Oh by the way hows your finger?:2:
Reverse those concerns, I realize it was a funny on SyntaxSinner part and it was.

Seriously, really glad all is well. Phew, close call for you and Moreen. :)

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GripperDon said:
close call for you and Moreen
It was. BTW, my wife has finally taken an interest in what I do with the MO and actually named it "Jasmin", her favorite name she says. So the GPS system now responds to that name by saying "listening"!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
That Is Cool, I dearly wish we had Voice input for the MO, Nav. Maybe when a MiniMac appears in my MO. ........... with it's little face peeking out the glove box. :D

·
4,664 Posts
You have done what I dread.... I hope it stays that way! I can open the hatch and it just barely clears the garage door. But I think I'd freak if I brought the door down on it!:eek:

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jaak said:
You have done what I dread.... I hope it stays that way! I can open the hatch and it just barely clears the garage door. But I think I'd freak if I brought the door down on it!:eek:
Just got to tell you...it was the most horrible feeling :11: :11:

and I am not talking about the finger!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've done the same thing with ours - only it was closing it. Luckily, I was close enough to the door opener to push it to stop. It only takes once.

The other thing I've found is the rear hatch will go up more the longer it's open - or it might have been taking more stuff out of the back. Either way - something to think about.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
One time I was moving some furniture in the Murano and parked the car halfway in the garage, backwards (hatch pointing into the garage). After unloading the furniture, I decided to pull the car out on the driveway.....but had forgotten to close the rear hatch!

As I drove out, oblivious to the danger about to happen, I slammed the open rear hatch against the garage door. Because I was moving forward, the hatch just came down. The damage on the Murano was very slight (I hit the rear wiper cap, which was replaced under warranty at the dealership). The bruise to my ego, took a few days to heal.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This episode with the MO sure came close to beating the last time I did something this stupid. Back then I had just bought my brand new Honda CRV and I was moving to California from Texas. The movers came and could not drive their big rig inside the parking lot of the gated apartment complex I was living in. So they parked outside of the automatic gate which was controled via infrared sensors. So, like a dummy, I parked my car in the path of the beam to keep the gate open for the movers to do their job. And I went inside to finish the packing. But guess what...After a while, the gate controler timed out and then the heavy gate closed on my brand new car, putting a big dent right on the quarter panel...

I wowed not to ever do anything that dumb againg...but I think I came very close this time. :mad:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Ouch! A painful story.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Sorry to hear about your finger, but at least the important part, your ego, will eventually be OK again.

My wife had pulled the Chrysler mini into the garage and unloaded a few items out of the rear.
Knowing that I was going out, she left the garage door open. On purpose. She also left the rear hatch open. Not on purpose.

No fear.
Homer, the great driver, with no accidents in the last 35 years, was here.

I cranked her up, checked the Rear View Mirror (as I ALWAYS do) , saw nothing and backed up.
Tore the living bejeezus out of the rear hatch.
What did I do wrong?
Rememebr when I said I saw nothing?
Well, I SHOULD have seen the rear window, etc.

When I die, they are going to name my biography, "Gullibles Travels".

Cheer up.
You'll get over it.
That's what they tell me anyway.

3 years and I still haven't "gotten over it".:confused:

Homer

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hfelknor said:
Cheer up.
You'll get over it.
That's what they tell me anyway.
You are right. My finger will heal but my ego... Well, I hope so but I seriously doubt if I'll ever get over it just as I still remember the Honda incident and that was eight years ago! :3:

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
I parked my mo outside the garage to unload my golf clubs. Put em away, jumped back into the car and reversed in.....Hatch still up. Big bang, much cursing. The edge of the hatch had left a big crease in the aluminum door surround but not even a scratch on the paint!

People as stupid as me don't deserve that much luck!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am just waiting for this to happen to me, I can tell you of at least 4 different instances where I almost opend the garage door with the hatch open but at the last second caught myself and remembered the hatch was opened. I did however once cloe the garage door with the hatch open but that's not as bad because I was able to run to the hatch and close it, only had a minor scratch on the nissan emblem...I wonder if other SUV owners have similar problems...

-E

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not so good of an outcome for me

Unfortunately my story was identical to yours, but the outcome was tragic. The f%*&#@ing garage door put ~ 6-7 inch deep scratch right next to the Nissan logo from the handle area almost to the glass. In my case the hatch was open and I ended up opening the garage door. I stoped by one of the local body shops and was quoted a price of about $750 to fix it. The guy told me that it would be better to re-paint the entire hatch. He said if he attemted to blend in the area around the scratch, it would be visible.
My issue with this is -- it is a 5 month old car, do I want the entire hatch repainted? Any ideas guys?

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
sorry but.....

Silver is harrrrd to match, you will have to get the whole door painted. It is the metal flake in the paint, U'll never get the flakes to lay the same way as the original paint if you try to spot it. Other colors without metal flakes act the same way sometimes. To do it right (IMHO) you have to do the whole panel or door. Hoods can be even worse because you always see a top edge of a quarter panel when viewing the hood---so all three must be painted. On the rear hatch your eyes don't follow the rear quarters like they do the front quarters, so you can get away with just the hatch.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with mgthe3. When my silver Toyota 4-runner was wrecked on the left front corner, the shop ended up painting the entire left side of the car to distract from paint mismatch. Of course it also greatly depends on the skill of the person who mixes the color and sprays it on. Go to a quality automotive paint supply store, talk to the oldest person there and find out who in the area is known for that kind of ability.

In my case, I was very lucky as the garage door has a metal frame that stickes out about 2 inches. This frame latched on to the gate and pulled it up with it as the door was opening. The roof on my MO could have potentially been damaged from the hinges twisting. I was very lucky.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts