Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent to dealer for car maintenance at 40k kilometer, dealer told me i need to replace the rear pad and rotor. I ask usually the front pad will be worn out rather than the rear one. The dealer convinced me that for Nissan Murano, the rear pad would be worn out faster than front pad. Is that true?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyway they were replaced, but i was pissed off, because i ask the dealer to show me the old one, it still has 3/8 of whole thickness, sounds like that's the dealer's standard to replace the pads. Won't let them decide any more in the future.

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
Hey, this was a surprise to me as well. Never in 50+ years of driving had I owned a car that wore out the rear pads first - but the Murano does that because of the way the braking system is biased. If you search threads on this forum you will find discussion of this.

Now, about pad thickness - standard practice in my experience is to replace pads by the time they are worn to about 2MM, which is about 20% of the OEM thickness. If the pads had 3/8 inch of thickness, I would be very surprised, because most new pads are about 10MM thick. I wonder if you quoted that number accurately...?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pilgrim, thank you for your information, 3/8 thickness of whole pad was what the mechanic told me, i also took a look of that pad, still very thick. I complained to their manager and ask him if they did right, the manger insist they are right. So the only thing i can do is never go to that dealer again in the future

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
There are plenty of places that can do maintenance without wasting your money. I'm sure you will find one.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I wonder if maybe there was confusion between 3/8 and 3 mm... The general recommendation is to replace pads when they only have around 2-4 mm remaining.

3 mm would still look like a lot to the untrained eye...

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
I wonder if maybe there was confusion between 3/8 and 3 mm... The general recommendation is to replace pads when they only have around 2-4 mm remaining.

3 mm would still look like a lot to the untrained eye...
Excellent point! That would make sense, and since the mechanic doesn't know when you will have the car in again, I have no problem with their recommending replacement at 3MM. 3/8" makes no sense at all.

One thing to remember is that the thickness of the brake pads doesn't only matter in terms of their ability to stop without metal-to-metal contact. The thickness of the pads and the overall mass is a heat sink, and brakes generate heat. when pads are worn thin, they have less capacity to manage heat, and under severe use, they will allow brake fade more easily. For normal driving, this isn't much concern...but if a vehicle carries heavy loads in hilly country or is driven hard, it becomes a consideration.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent point! That would make sense, and since the mechanic doesn't know when you will have the car in again, I have no problem with their recommending replacement at 3MM. 3/8" makes no sense at all.

One thing to remember is that the thickness of the brake pads doesn't only matter in terms of their ability to stop without metal-to-metal contact. The thickness of the pads and the overall mass is a heat sink, and brakes generate heat. when pads are worn thin, they have less capacity to manage heat, and under severe use, they will allow brake fade more easily. For normal driving, this isn't much concern...but if a vehicle carries heavy loads in hilly country or is driven hard, it becomes a consideration.
Sorry, guys, I may confuse your guys, 3/8 is the percentage of the original thickness. So like what you said most of the new pads are 10MM, 3/8 is around 3.75MM, if the dealer's standard is around 2-4MM, then they may be still right in the range. But after another 8000km driving, will the thickness less than 2MM? So, sounds like a grey area. For my personal choice, if i knew it left 3/8 of thickness, i definitely would choose not replace it.

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
First time I've heard anyone describe a remainder or thickness as "3/8 of the original." No wonder we're confused! More typically, it would be a actual measurement (which I assumed it was) or a percentage of 100%. But, moving on....

I can understand if a dealer replaces pads if they're under 4mm, thinking that they may not see the customer again before the pads wear to less than 2 MM. But realize that they're replacing pads with 40% of the material remaining. (I'm making the assumption that most pads start at 10MM, since I've measured a couple of sets of pads at that thickness.) Replacing pads at 40% thickness is to be polite....highly conservative. There's probably another 10,000 to 20,000 miles left in those pads, depending on the kind of traffic the car is driven in.

I'd rather set an appointment with the owner for 1 year down the road, when the wear would be closer to replacement. I also know some people would blow off that appointment.

This is a reason that it's an advantage of understanding brakes and how they wear, and checking he pads yourself. I take a look at mine every time I rotate tires at 5,000 mile intervals.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I replaced the rear pads at 90k miles. They were not worn out but I was in there anyway to work on the parking brake shoes.
My tire shop always comments on how thin they are and wants to replace them. I laugh and tell them I’ll do it at 1/16th of an inch since new pads are barely 3/8”.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts