Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For nearly a year and half I got away with it, and I thought I could get away with it much longer but…..

California Law requires two plates on the car. Well, I thought my MO would look nicer without the front plate on so I was happy when I noticed my dealer had forgotten to install the front license plate bracket so I let it go…:)

So I stayed away from Highway Patrol anytime I saw them. I avoided driving behind them where they could see the front of my MO, and moved away when on the same road…:runaway:

But my luck ran out yesterday when they flagged me down on an intersection. The officer was nice and told me he understood it completely, and that the MO indeed looked better without the plate on, but the law is the law….:3:

The worst part of the ordeal was that I ended up drilling the huge holes on the front bumper with my own hands...:banghead:

I cried myself to sleep last night….:headshake

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Might as well mount the plates on the front doors.
I mean if you are going to drill holes where God didn't intend...........

My sympathies.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I share your pain. The front plate bracket requires HUGE holes for mounting. Poor poor Mo.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Ohhhhh the humanity! I'm with you... same is required here in MASS. On previous cars I would put the front lisc plate on with string just to pass inspection and then remove it afterwards.

I never got pulled over but when I got the MO the dealer wouldn't budge and I just gave in.... nice try hanging in like that.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Did you mount it using a gromet or just drive the screws in? You can guess how my dealer did it. :3: Frost Nissan.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
I've loved my faux LINUX plate for so long, I asked them to mount the front plate holder! The service guy didn't want to, but the sales guy lied and said I was moving to NJ. No, the green on white does not go with the rest of the car at all, but it makes it mine. I saw one Bordeaux/Latte '03 in Florida once and instinctively started walking towards it and taking out my keys until I realized that the front plate was an ad for the owner's real estate agency. Screwed me up for the rest of the afternoon.

I even contacted a custom plate maker to see if he would make this one for me, but he refused, claiming copyright concerns.. even though I'm an IBM employee..

·
Registered
470 Posts
Gonzo said:
Did you mount it using a gromet or just drive the screws in? You can guess how my dealer did it. :3: Frost Nissan.
My front license plate was mounted with two sheet metal screws. Think of the frame as a mini push bar which protects the paint on the leading edge of the bumper.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your kind words....

The front bracket comes with two plastic gromets (that have a wierd bult in swinging nuts! on them) which you have to insert in the bumper first. To do so you have to drill two 1 cm (3/8 inch) holes in the bumper. After you insert the gromets, you have to insert a small screw driver in it and swing the nut perpendecular so it will accept the bolt that will hold the bracket in place and lock the gromet at the same time. Just a sheet metal screw in not enough and can rip out of the bumper easily.

I know I should have taken pictures but the tears would just not let me...:eek:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.... :(

Although it was nice of the officer to not cite you, it is obvious he was having a "slow" day, otherwise he never would have pulled you over (unless of course he admired your MO so much he just had to take a closer look).

I went without a front plate on my old Plymouth Sapporo for about 4 years. Even when pulled over for speeding, no mention was ever made of the missing plate.

My suggestion to you is to only approach your MO from the side or rear to avoid seeing the front. :p

-njjoe

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
the day i bought my Mo, the saskatchewan govt made the front plate non-mandatory.... and since i got mine from alberta (where there is no front plate as well) i was damn glad for not having drill into my Mo.....

but i can still feel the pain of doing so....

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Living in PA, I rarely see a MO with a front plate. The few that I have seen make me really appreciate the smooth plate free lines.

Sorry Z, I feel your pain.

·
Registered
142 Posts
zebelkhan said:

The worst part of the ordeal was that I ended up drilling the huge holes on the front bumper with my own hands...:banghead:

I cried myself to sleep last night….:headshake
There is definitely a good thing to it.. It protects the front bumper pretty well from those who try to parallel-park in front of your MO!!! don't be sad zebelkhan! ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Front Plates

F*&^%$K, I got nailed yesterday (11/30/05). I was pulling out of my office's parking lot and saw two motorcyle cops giving a ticket to a lady, who was stoped on the corner. My luck has it the light turned red and I ended up stopping right next to them. So the pig that wasn't writing a tickets looks at me, then takes a few steps towards my car, looks towards the front and notices the lack of the front plate. Knocks on my window and tells me that he has to give me a ticket. Though he was nice, while doing it, still. WTF !!!!!!!

I think I will use double tape and tape the bracket to get the ticket signed off and then will take it off. It has been ~ 1 year and 3 months, so I will take my chances again.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Front Plates

DrMurano said:
I think I will use double tape and tape the bracket to get the ticket signed off and then will take it off. It has been ~ 1 year and 3 months, so I will take my chances again.
I thought about doing that but the cop that stopped me frequents my area and, with my luck, would have noticed it. I know he would remember my car because he commented about my personalized plate and asked permission to take a picture of it for his 10 year old daughter! Apparently his daughter owns a horse named "MO"....:D

P.S. Please don't call them names. We have members here who are Peace Officers....

·
Registered
470 Posts
Re: Front Plates

DrMurano said:
Knocks on my window and tells me that he has to give me a ticket. Though he was nice, while doing it, still. WTF !!!!!!!

You are the one disobeying the law of your state. Don't blame the police for doing their job.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I sure am glad I live in a front tagless state.

I think I would have been rather annoyed at a cop who pulled me for that while I was just sitting at a light.....now if I was speeding, that's a different story--I would be asking for it.

But true, there are a few cops here, so be kind to your fellow Mo owners.

·
Registered
109 Posts
To those offended by my comment, please accept my apologies.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are alternatives to mounting the plate to the bumper. On my 05 Jetta I fabricated a bracket that attaches to one of the lower bumper vents (they are plastic and removable)

It would easy to make a similar bracket for the Murano.

Too bad my front bumper was already violated.

I'd be happy to share the way I did mine

Just email me.

[email protected]

The Jetta

1 - 20 of 26 Posts