Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, who have been generous with your time and opinion giving, regarding the Murano;

Last Night I wrangled a Nissan Dealer into letting me take one home for the night and day today- Gorgeous Silver w/ Black Leather SL AWD has everything except the Dynamic Vehicle Traction Control, Navi, and Chromed wheels- Told the dealer the truth, I cannot justify spending this sort of money without having some time with the vehicle alone-

Because the Dealership is closed today (Thursday) they agreed to do so- I be returning it later this late aternoon to the dealership-

With regards to discounts, I have been offered $ 1,000.00 off and about $1800.00 from another with the "Agreement to "Split" the invoice- Where does this leave me in comparison to a MDX? The Acura Dealer has also offered to take something off as well and as far as I can gather it amounts to about $1,000.00 off the invoice:

This Murano will cost me about $34,750.00 plus taxes and transf, ect
The MDX about $ 38,000.00 plus taxes ect- The SE AWD Im thinking of Ordering will set me back about $ 36,420.00 everthing except Navi and Chrome Wheels-

I called Bank One for particulars in which a Bank uses to make loans, they instructed me to depreciate the Nissan by 12 to 15 percent out the door, they really couldnt comment on the MDX- If you take 10% off the Nissan that means your looking at a $ 3,470.00 loss right at Delivery- Because there is no history on the Murano, I looked at Nissan popular vehicles Altima and Maxima- Big Depreciations and a substantial difference between a new vehicle and a -1- year old vehicle (used) (about 7 to 8 thousand dollars) retail-

I called a Acura Dealer in Atlanta, and another in Boston along with Tennessee-
I found -3- Used MDX's Touring with Running Boards and various trim additions, all 3 vehicles were within $ 1,000.00 of the price of a NEW 2003 Touring MDX- That absolutely floored me- The Dealer that appealed to me the most wanted $ 37,900.00 for a Touring 2002 with the Fancy Steering wheel, R-Boards, Cargo Cover and Net it has 24k miles on it! That is almost $ 900.00 Less than a New 2003!

They without any reservation whatsoever offered to pick me up from the airport if I wanted a vehicle from them New or Used, and stated that if it went late into the evening they would pay for my accomodations overnight so I could get a good rest the night before I head back home with a New Car from them! On the Other hand I really Had to work the Nissan Dealer to get them to consider letting me go overnight with the Murano-

Now, that I have given all of you the above "Food for Thought" let me go the the Murano I have-

Since Last Night I have been stopped everywhere, Ive gone with it, What is it? Wow! Its Beautiful, Can I look Inside? Oh My God! When was it released? How Much?, Wow, egads its gorgeous ect, ect, and then some-

The "Wider Turning" turning radius appears to be due to the 18" wheels, and its really not all that bad, most people dont do "Donuts or figure 8's with their cars" but it is wider than what the MDX Radius, and substantially so-

This one didnt have the Cachophony Noise or Sewing Machine Noise until you Goosed the accelerator and pushed it- Power Transfer is Silky Smooth and "Stepless" On Hard acceleration the sewing machine noise was present- but other than that, the whole Powertrain Concept with the CVT concept is very impressive to say the least-

The controls on the steering wheel are NOT Backlighted- and make it very difficult to do anything with because you cant see them-

The so called "Floating Instrument Cluster" is Fixed and it does not move, as it is stated to Float and Move with the Tilt-Telescope" like in the Z-Car.

The Dash Board- Control Panel display is substantially smaller than the one with Navigation unit and the Nav Unit is in Color where the Non Nav Unit is smaller and in Yellow Text display color Only- I have Mixed feelings about the display-computer and its layout, and the information it gives you- Although everything relating to the HVAC, Radio, and other toys are displayed on the Display Head- At Night it is great, during the day, well Ill let you decide for yourselves. It was Okay to read until you got into a bright Light Environment, then it was a little tough to read-

The Control Lay-out of all controls on the Dash Board "Center-Dash" is very Busy, you can get lost very easily, and this is a car that needs to be familiarlised with its owner real well, because groping for something could well cause a distraction while driving, the result would not be good to any measurable standard- Maybe after a couple hours you can get through the "oops" I pushed the wrong button syndrome-

The Buttons all do different things and they are not Modular or centralised, they are "Scattered" all over the place, Example all the HVAC Controls are not in one area, the radio in another ect- Like on most vehicles- Very easy to get lost, make a mistake, push the wrong button- Once you understand the display and what everything does its not so bad after all, but the Control Button Placement still is busy, and not as well organised as they could have been done- They are however nicely Backlighted at night-

Because of the exterior Design, no body trim moldings, no bumper guards, if you park the vehicle and someone opens their door, they will use your Muranos Side Panel for a stop. Most vehicles at this level come with something to avoid body-vehicle damage-

The Vehicle has a fairly "High Belt-Line" sitting from the inside- Visibility is good, I wear No-Line Bifocals, and I really didnt have problems seeing around me. The Front DashBoard real Estate is Humungous, Much like the Pontiac Transport- I am still not used to the "Line of Sight-Vision" afforded from the front end cut-off and side to side visibility on the front end- Example: Parking the vehicle where you have a "Middle space" and there are parked vehicles to the left and right, you wanting to occupy the "Middle Space" Very difficult to judge clearance on the turn into the space (front-end) "Left to right of the vehicle" and the Front end cut off visually hard to judge as well-

Lastly, my driver seat is not Solid, it has a slight rocking effect to it front to back which annoyed me-

Other than what I have depicted here the Vehicle is a formidable challlenger to the other vehicles Im looking at. The Warranty is less than the others, it should have been 4yr/50k miles it is not. It is loaded full of new Bells and whistles that if they break will cost a foot, arm and a leg to repair if you are out of your warranty period- None the less it is packed with state of the art cutting edge technology.

The Bottom Line? do you buy a car because of how it "Looks" or because of what it does and how it performs? If looks is what counts only, than the Murano is a Hands Down Winner or Formidable Contender-

If dependability, performance, and a solid investment, and minimal depreciation and a good resale history, is a factor or prime consideration- then it is Not the Winner, however it would clearly be in a "Top 5 Consideration List" and at the bottom of that list-

I hope that no one will feel that this email was meant as a Nissan Bashing Attempt, not at all- The Murano is a elegant Vehicle, Nissan has made a tremendous turn-around and should be applauded- The Murano's Look is incredible. As I mentioned in earlier emails, this is literally one of few times that a vehicle jumped up and "Talked to me" Touch me, Drive me, take me home"-

I have several more hours to enjoy the vehicle and may add something to this note if I find anything-

Still torn in half by the MDX-Murano decision I have to make- I will also Have a MDX this weekend for overnight and by Sunday I should be able to make a clean decision between the 2 SUV's-

The last note: Using the Murano today, it is very clear, the Murano is a "Crossover" UTE and the MDX is a "SUV"- there are very clear differences between the two- The Murano is on a Altima Platform, and the 18" wheel gives you "False SUV Height" whereas the MDX is clearly on a SUV Platform by itself- There is a clear and formidable difference between a Wannabe SUV and the real thing-

As some may have read this message earlier, yes indeed it is an edit, I have to say on my way back this afternoon to the dealership, I decided to take it out again on the freeway and let her rip- The Acceleration is breathtaking, and the Power transfer to the CVT was as smooth as silk, it was uncanny, No slam into Passing like most american cars do. I chickened out at about 132 mph- The Murano had more to give, it laughed at me and said, " You Chicken! You've only scratched the surface... Ive got plenty left to give" not wanting to tempt fate and the Ohio State Police Departments, I backed off. The Speedometer is marked off at 160mph, I have no doubt the Murano could exceed that- Actually I got nervous because the accelerator never made it anywhere near to the floor boards, the car was screaming at me "Ive got more to give, Take it, Take it!"

Steering seemed a little "Over responsive" and or Oversensitive? But wow, I havent done this since I was 18 years old in Detroit-!

The car was "absoluetly revolutionary quiet"- during this madness run, the Tach was no where near a red line, it was absolutely uncanny, the only thing that was missing was an "Afterburner Switch"-

Lastly, I have played with both models the SE and SL AWD's, The Ride on the SE is much tighter or firmer and the steering is real tight like an Audi Quattro or Volvo, You point it and it stays there, very very tight, solid and responsive steering. The Ride is slightly stiffer, Firmer on City Roads however on the Freeway, the SE would be my preffered choice, I like that type of feel- The SL was Softer and much more loose in comparison to the SL- Both were AWD's the SE had the Nav and the Dynamic Traction Control, maybe that had something to do with the difference between the -2- Models-

Invaribly, I prefer the SE AWD with the Dynamic Traction Control and TPS Systems over the other, The SE AWD I drove had everything except the Chrome Wheels and Navigation Unit- List was $36,420.00-

I have also been advised by Nissan that the Satellite System- is wired and ready to go, however there is a "Hardware Issue" and it will not be available until Spring 03- There is a slight possibility of an addition to the transmission late Spring-Summer 03, the one that is shown in the Marketing Pix where if you move the shifter to the right you can manually shift thru 6 or 7 forward gears, and there is talk of a "Limited Rendition" Maybe even an addition of On-Star?

As I left the Murano at the dealership, I felt even more confused than ever, or is the word impulsive? I pulled my Safari next to the Murano and waited for it to warm up- I kept looking at the Murano, and asking it why do you intrigue me so? It smiled and said "Take me home with you"- I did another walk around. The Tires are really big on the vehicle, 18" monsters and Nissan didnt skimp, they are High Performance Goodyear Eagles, with a High Speed Rating- They almost seem out of place on the vehicle this time. But this time I am familiar with the vehicle and am giving it another looksee-

As I left, I was convinced that if I purchase a Murano, it will be the SE AWD with the DTC Package Dynamic Traction Control System- I also have been told that there is a Entertainment System that is being made ready for the Murano as well- Should be interesting but not for me-

There is no question in my mind that Toyota and Lexus finally have a Contender or Compeditor against their Highlander, RX300 and Pilot.

I am however a little connfused at the so called statement from Nissan about their going after the Pilot when in fact the Pilot is several thousand dollars less than the Murano, and Surprise, Surprise, Pilot is on 16" wheels, it is almost as though Nissan gave the Murano "High Heels" to qualify it as a SUV-

The Sticker says "URBAN SUV", I say Urban Crossover with High Heels" and now I realise why the tires on the Murano look so "Out of Place"

My wish to all of you and your families that you should have a Joyous, safe and meaningful Thanksgiving Holliday-

-Larry

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone who has driven both the SL and SE models have any comment on the suspensions of one versus the other. For the life of me I can't notice any difference between the two although I'm sure there is. The SE apparently has a "sport suspension", I find them both pretty sporty but about the same. It may just be the way I drive or where I'm taking them. I always had a salesman with me during my test drives so I can't really wring them out the way I would like.

I'm like a lot of others that are caught between the Murano-MDX choice, it's hard to overlook the incredible resail value of the MDX but the Murano may end up holding it's own in that regard as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Buy it so we can really find out what it's like!!!!

I sure wish someone would buy one. We can't even get to see them in KC, although a rep picked one up here and showed it off to some people without any fanfare.

I haven't seen any print or TV ads on it and only heard from one dealer about it when I passed on the Pathfinder he was trying to sell me a month ago. The dealers all have a differend date when they will be available here, from last week (I fell for that line!), to the end of January. It sure doesn't sound like Nissan wants to get the word out, unless you accidently click on their homepage. They say it will be out in Early December nationwide

Maybe they are just teasing us with a few pre-production models to see what we think before the put the pedal-to-the-metal on the assembly line. Does anyone have a clue to the sales goals for the US? How does this compare to the other Nissans and the competing Crossovers. And yes it's a "Crossover", just like the MDX which I understand is on the Odessy frame instead of the Toyata Camry (Highlander & Lexus RX300), and the Altima. Real SUVs arfe built on truck frames, and have real 4-wheel drives with low-gear locks, and ride/handle like trucks. The turning radius as reported on Edmunds.com is only 37.4 ft. I don't understand your comments about the much bigger turning radius than the MDX which is 37.2. Lexus is 41.3, Highlander is 37.4 and Honda Pilot is 38.

Here are some other specs. from Edmunds site @ http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/nissan/murano/slawd4drsuv35l6cylcvt/specs.html?id=lin0018

Dimensions

Exterior:

Length: 187.6 in.
Width: 74 in.
Height: 66.5 in.
Weight: 3955 lbs.
Wheel Base: 111.2 in.
Ground Clearance: 7.1 in.
Interior:

Front Head Room: 40.7 in.
Front Hip Room: 56.2 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 59.6 in.
Rear Head Room: 39.7 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 59.1 in.
Rear Hip Room: 56.6 in.
Front Leg Room: 43.4 in.
Rear Leg Room: 36.1 in.
Luggage Capacity: 32.6 cu. ft.
Maximum Cargo Capacity: 82 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 5
Performance Data

Performance:

Base Number of Cylinders: 6
Base Engine Size: 3.5 liters
Base Engine Type: V6
Horsepower: 245 hp
Max Horsepower: 5800 rpm
Torque: 246 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4400 rpm
Drive Type: AWD
Turning Circle: 37.4 ft.

Fuel Data
Fuel Tank Capacity: 21.7 gal.

EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)

Automatic: 20 mpg / 24 mpg

Range in Miles: (City/Highway)

Automatic: 434 mi. / 520.8 mi.

I did a side-by-side comparison of the Nissan Murano, Acura MDX, Lexus RX300, Toyata Highlander and Honda Pilot on Edmunds

http://applications.edmunds.com/products/vc/VehicleComparison?op=5&partner=edmunds&checkbox0=2003;Nissan;Murano;SL+AWD+4dr+SUV+(3.5L+6cyl+CVT)&checkbox1=2003;Toyota;Highlander;Limited+AWD+4dr+SUV+(3.0L+6cyl+4A)&checkbox2=2003;Honda;Pilot;EX+4WD+4dr+SUV+(3.5L+6cyl+5A)&checkbox3=2003;Acura;MDX;Touring+4WD+4dr+SUV+(3.5L+6cyl+5A)&checkbox4=2003;Lexus;RX+300;AWD+4dr+SUV+(3.0L+6cyl+4A)&button=Compare+Vehicles

I don't know if it can be replicated by just opening this URL, but they have a great site with lots of detail and reviews. Check it out.

I sure hope someone buys one soon so I can learn more about them. Oh, don't sweat the warranty difference as extended warranties can easily be purchased at the dealer or on line.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well Murano Gang;

"The Clock has stopped Ticking and my wallet is about to take a licking"-

I am just coming back from a exhaustive test drive visa-vi the Local Acura Dealer- I got a MDX for several hours all to myself-!

The Vehicle: 2003 MDX Touring with Navigation, Running Boards, Cargo Cover and Net and Hood Deflector-

I wanted to be able to go fresh from the Murano to the MDX, while I still had Murano pumping "Fresh in my Veins"-

I have to say Honestly that the MDX has captured me completely at this point- Ownersite posted a really good review site, in which the review is totally honnest and caps many of the things I pointed out as well-

Without the Navigation unit on the MDX there is a $ 3,000.00 spread in price- The Quality of the Interior, how it is laid out, the seats and amenities are all superior to the Murano-

The way the MDX is put together reeks of Customer Convenience and thought put into the vehicle as to "What would our customers want" The Nav System is completely revamped and qualifies nothing less than a "Space Shuttle Level Technology" The Voice system was awesome, I issued 60 some commands, it missed -2- 1: Show trip computer and 2: Take me to your leader!

It is a "Split 3-d screen" if you want or another way if you want. Regardless it outclassed the Nissan Unit by far-

Again, it is the difference of the quality of the product that is winning me over versus the Expensive piece of Italian Glass the Murano is named after and looks like-

Rain sensing windshields and wipers, Rear TV camera, and the Vehicle to Tire Balance is proper. Look at the Murano and you can see how they got another Inch Height- 18" Tires which visually overwhelm the vehicle- they look almost out of place- on the Murano. That is not the case with the MDX-

I hope that many of you who are test driving the Murano take the opportunity to test drive Both the MDX and the Acura Dealership- They both are a cut above the Nissan Dealership Experience coupled with the Vehicle test drive-

The Murano is a incredible piece on its own validity, and Nissan did a tremendous job, no doubt. But alas, If im going to shoot my wallet where it counts, Im going to do it sensibly, and without taking a bath-

There are very few vehicles that have a "Residual Value at the end of 2 years of 71%" The MDX does, along with the M-Class Mercedes and X-5 Series BMW-

Happy Hollidays to all!

-Larry

·
Registered
31 Posts
I finally drove the Murano last night for the first time. It was a black SL AWD. Very nice looking with the huge wheels and the large exhaust pipes. The interior room is amazing and somewhat better than my 99.5 Pathfinder LE (you won't crack your forehead trying to get into the back seat of a Murano). The rear cargo area is a bit smaller than the PF, but sufficient. The Murano is like an SUV on the inside, but definitely a jacked up car on the outside. Parked next to the Pathfinder, I was surprised to see that the side mirrors were slightly higher on the Murano. The ride height is deceivingly the same on both vehicles.

Driving the Murano is a pleasure. It's very quiet and smooth, handling very well (like a car) around corners. Power is plentiful, except when taking off from a stop. When you floor it, the car seems to hesitate for a few moments. Then, you feel like your suddenly being pulled or catapulted. Like the speed of the CVT is suddenly catching up with the speed of the engine. I really didn't care for that too much. With all that power, you just want it to GO.

The car is very comfortable to drive as well. The cloth seats hold you firmly in place and keep your butt nice and toasty (seat heaters) in this cold Canadian climate. The adjustable pedals give you the perfect seating position. The steering wheel feels great and the audio controls are handy. The gauges are laid out well with nice yellow backlighting. I don't like the orange on black screen display. I would prefer blue on black.

The lease is up on the PF at the end of the year and I'm really not sure what to do. It's between a new Pathfinder SE and a Murano SL. The PF has served my family well, but we all like the novelty of the Murano. It really is a cool car. The only concern I have right now is the AWD and I hope to drive one in a snowstorm. The PF is great in the snow and I'm not sure I would want to give that up.

UPDATE:
I took the same Murano out for another ride the next night. Just a few things to add:

The seating is much lower than in the Pathfinder. It's decieving because of the height of the side windows. I brought my 4 year old for this ride and she could barely see out the window while sitting in her booster seat in the back. By the way, she didn't like the Murano ...because it was black.

This car is fast! You really have to be careful with the gas pedal and the CVT takes some getting used to. If you touch the gas lightly, you get that brief hesitation from the CVT. And then the damn thing takes off on you. Make sure the way is clear before you go.

When I look at this car from the outside, it really looks beautiful. Very nice design (congratulations Nissan). However, it's too expensive for its size. I think the Pathfinder is a step above, and you can get one for the same price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love at first site . . . nope

:?: Well I drove a Murona today, Pewter with black leather, pretty much loaded minus the navigation system. I live in Montana and such a system would be concidered very sissy. It was a great day to drive the Murano as it snowed six inches last night and it was VERY slippery today. This car has great traction and stops very well also. I have been waiting with much anticipation for the arrival of this SUV because I hate SUV's but my life style requires one (dog owner, kayaker, skier, family guy, ect). But I love to drive and love cars. My current toys are a Miata and SAAB 9-5 wagon (my anti-SUV). I was hoping the Murano would quelch my automotive thirst, but frankly I was a little dissappointed. I think this color combo did little for this car. The all black leather seats and black dash was a little boring and I think the aluminium look a little faddish and may scratch over time and use. The metal colored exterior was underwhelming. I did love the shape of the car and the way it drove. I will have to wait for a different color combination and see if it captures my heart. There are many things to love here..the big, fat leather cover steering wheel felt great and I LOVED the CVT tranny. You put your foot to the pedal and the tach stays at a certain RPM while the vehicle accelerates??? It's a weird, but welcomed experience. Rear sear comfort is great! Lots of leg room and the seats recline. As mentioned before, this car scoots when you touch the gas and the brakes are touchy. Just takes a little getting used to, then you like it. This may be the car for me yet...need to drive it on dry pavement and see if they start to offer discounts. My dealer wanted $1200.00 over retail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
dont worry about the CVT!!!!!

I work as a technician for NIssan and this technology has been around since the 70's and been used in Japan since then. There is no real reason to worry. I am told that it will out last regular transmissions. Plus another thing is its Nissan. They always make great powertrains that rarely have problems. I have drove the Murano and would recommend it to anyone. IT IS AWESOME! If anyone has any questions please email me for some mroe info. :lol:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Re: dont worry about the CVT!!!!!

i second that mr nissan tech. i read somewhere yesterday on the net that the cvt technology has been used in europe and asia for a very long time. so, it's not new to nissan...

now, i drove it last night...the SL.

i must say this suv is saucey! i remember when i first seen it on 11.28.2. with moms. my first reaction was "what the???....look at the grill, look at the dash, look at the rear...LOOK?!?!?!!!...

when i jumped in it, the key was already in the ignition with no salesman around anywhere. was that some kind-a hint or what?!

i must have sat in the driver seat for a good 30 min looking at the display and pretty much figuring out all the buttons on the dash and every door that opened. it felt really comfortable. wasn't too impressed with the bose system. quickly turned it to a hip hop station here in the bay area and at low volume (like most car stereos) sounded really good. but, when i turned it loud (how i like it) it didn't get better. honestly, pretty weak. then i reminded my self that it's only 225 watts. so, yeah, weak. if you go to a car stereo place, most car stereos are at LEAST 225 watts for a nice price of $150 US. can't wait to customize the sound, i'll pass on the bose!!! the leather felt great and i especially loved the orange lights on the odometer and the display (need to see how well legible the display is in sunlight). i tried to recline the rear seats and WOW! just like the front seats. my friends will love me for this when we are out late. no middle hump. very confortable in the rear. on the driver seat there is a way to raise/lower the seat! great feature. you basically have to play around with the lever to figure it out.

after spending about an hour inside the car (from front to rear), i was ready to hit the streets. the onramp to 280 (southbay of the bay area) was a perfect test for handling until some idiot decided to be in my way. acting hesitant to merge so i HAD to stop. paranoid of wrecking the test car, so i did. it was a nice curve, double lane that merges into 1 about 80 yards up then merges onto the freeway. the curve was not too tight and not too straight. perfect actually, oh well. maybe next time. acceleration was good. but, think i didn't fly past that idiot with the quickness of the murano?!! LOL. and when i got onto the freeway, i was already at 70! then, i moved the shifter to the right (is this overdrive?) and the rpms jumped to like 3500 close to 4000 and i was quickly at 80!! that blew me away!

i heard about the noise with the sunroof open, and yeah, it's there. i don't remember if their is a spoiler for the sunroof or not but whatever the case, it was noisy. not terrible but very noticable. i've heard about the driver seat rocking a lil bit and didn't notice it. overall, the suspension was pretty good. not a caddy but pretty good for it's size. and the cabin noise wasn't that bad either. with the stereo on and/or a profound conversation with the passenger, would drown it out considerably. braking was excellent. not too much rocking of the vehicle. i made sure the radio was off so i could hear the engine and it sounded normal, except, when you first take off, there is a little growl at first take off but didn't hear any "type writer" noise inside. i did notice the "type writer" noise when the engine was on when i stood in front of the suv. wasn't that loud but noticable.

i need to test on a ruffer road to see how it absorbs bumps and holes.

so, the verdict?!...winner! i always wanted a suv but hated the boxy look (too many simular looks-no style) and the terrible gas mileage. i love the way it looks, especially the front, rear and the console/dash.

here's what i don't like: the interior roof is some cheap flimsy carpet material. should be leather or vynil. if not like the seats, at least like the doors (materially speaking). the rear signals. i hate red turn signals. they are harder to see in the day light than yellow turn signals. i'm sure i can customize that with some after markets later on in '3. no lights inside the cargo area. they are only located on the rear hatch/door.

my choice: SL AWD, sheer silver with the charcoal leather package only. i can find after market suspension kit if need be that will be better than what Nissan offers on the SE (low profile tires and a suspension kit will be better than the SE). all the rest is not worth it! i can find better on the street! i will deffinitely customize the stereo system (probably about 800 watts) and customize the rims (can't wait to put 20's on them), and a bike rack on top! can't wait. just need to save some money and sell my 231k mile driven honda accord!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Re: dont worry about the CVT!!!!!

by the way 76280z, can you explain the "growling" coming from the engine/transmission when you accelerate from a stop?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I test drove it too, I agree, the MDX

is the way to go. I must say that the Murano does have quite the "wow factor" going for it. Very stylish, very comfortable, adequate size. However, Itsaraid...you are right, buying the MDX makes more sense. As much as I liked the Murano I couldn't find one single reason to choose it over the MDX. The biggest problem is price and resale value. The Murano has the price of a luxury brand (if upgraded decently) but it will not give you the resale value of a luxury brand. Nicely equipped (and with the markup that some dealers trying push), the Murano is in a similar price range with the MDX, X5 3.0, Mercedes M-Class, Volvo XC90, RX300. Lets be real, a Nissan is not going to hold its value nearly as well as "any" of the others, they "all" would be a better buy than the Murano. Also, as others have mentioned, this is a new vehicle with no track record...as a rule of thumb I never buy "version 1.0" of "anything"!! (a little techie jargon there) :) The MDX is simply "the" best SUV buy, in its price range, on the market today.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Worrying about resale value when the market is flooded with used cars doesn't seem to make sense to me. I just traded in a 2002 Acura RSX for the Murano and the "Acura Resale" value meant nothing. The wholesale values of used cars are so low right now. Why would anyone buy the Acura at the suggest KBB retail price when they can lease a new one for less. I realize the X5 and MDX do hold their value well, but if you decide to get out of the MDX in a few years, don't be surprised if the dealer trade isn't what you expected.

·
Registered
186 Posts
resale value...

Yes, but you know as well as I do that the MDX (and the other lux brands) will have a much better resale value than the Murano. It just doesn't make sense to pay lux money for a non-lux brand. There is no case that can be made for the Murano being a better buy than the MDX.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Who's trying to make the case that the Murano is a better buy? I don't really even think of the two vehicles as being competitors. The comparable MDX is $8,000 more than the Murano I purchased. If I was in the market for spending $42,000 instead of $34,000 than I would have purchased the MDX. Obviously what matters is what car you like the most and what fits your needs. Why waste the time rationalizing why the MDX is better because of it's resale value? Just buy the MDX.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sometimes I feel like people lose sight of what we're talking about here. There is not a right or wrong answer regarding the vehicle you choose to buy. Buy the one that's right for you and you'll be happy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh, don't get me wrong, I liked the Murano...in fact, I loved it. I even had the sales rep drive it up and down the street while I stood by the road and watched!! (thats the car enthusiast in me...had to see what it looked like on the road....I always make the sales rep do that...they usually think that I"m joking) :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
i'm with you on that taylormade...get what fits your needs and what is appealing to you. if ya want the mdx, get it. if ya want the murano, get it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
well folks, i tested it again today. except this time it was during the day and on a rougher road.

now, to anyone that has driven highway 87 in san jose knows it's a great freeway to test cars on because of the BAD foundation it was built with (so many dips). i took the freeway to downtown and drove it through some construction zones where they tore up the street. IT HANDLED GREAT!!! didn't hear any rattling noise that some have complained about and it felt smooth. not too smooth like a caddy but smooth. i felt the bumps as i would like too but they weren't harsh. it felt normal (to me). i didn't get tossed around in the murano. i even took sharp turns in hope to feel any kind of body roll. you should have seen me whip this u turn?!! wow. checked out the display, as it was a concern of it washing out on bright days, and it looked fine. everything was fine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That reminds me, I don't remember which review it was that complained about the displays being washed out, but I have had direct sunlight on my displays and had no problem reading them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
During the first hour or so of driving my new Murano, I had that same complaint of the nav display being washed out in the sun. Then I realized that there was a contrast mode switch for day or night viewing. It made a world of difference. I also like the fact that the display is high up in the dash so one doesn't have to glance far off the road.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts