Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted folks to know that I found Dunlop Grandtrek SJ5 BSW - 235/65R18 for $145.99 at 1010tires.org.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Non exact OEM size

Living in VT I have been lookin for snow tires for my 03 SL.
I would like to put them on my stock rims.
OEM is 235/65 R 18
I am considering a set of Hakkapaliita's that are 235/60 R 18.
How much does this slight difference make?
I like the hakka's especially since they are studdable.
Any experience with this? Also what about the Tire Pressusre monitor system if I decide to go with new rims?

Thanks all.
Pete V

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
The TPMS is movable, The transmitter is an extension of the stem and mounts inside the rim. Read the SM for info. MattsMurano did it. GRIP :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I haven't any experience with the tire that you are considering. I was just happy to get relatively cheap winters. My dealer mounted and balanced all four for $33 so I don't need to go for extra wheels.

Good luck, George

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Non exact OEM size

pvittands said:
OEM is 235/65 R 18
Any experience with this? Also what about the Tire Pressusre monitor system if I decide to go with new rims?

Thanks all.
Pete V
Pete,
I purchased this tire last winter and had them studded and mounted on my OEM rims. The size difference results in the speedo showing a speed that is approximately 3% faster than you are actually travelling. (Not a bad thing if you have a heavy foot).

I am in Edmonton, Alberta and travelled extensively throughout western Canada last winter. I am really impressed with these tires. On at least two occasions they have kept me on the road when others were hitting the ditch due to black ice. The stopping distance on ice is really impressive - and that gives rise to another problem; if the guy behind you has all season tires you risk getting rear ended. So you soon get into the habit of early braking and checking your review mirror for the slippin' and slidin' going on behind you.

However, be forewarned, if you stud the tire you will notice a distinct high pitched whine when travelling at highway speeds on snow free or ice free roads. I am content to live with that in the interests of safe winter driving - I just turn up the volume on the CD player, but I could see some people being bothered by this.

As for the remote TPMS my recollection is that they cannot be transferred into an non OEM rim. If you purchase additional OEM rims a new system is expensive - I was quoted something in excess of $1000 by my dealer.

I don't think you can go wrong with the HAK's - in my view they are the best winter tire out there.

Cheers,
Nissan Fan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the great input

I had a set of Hakka's on my Saab 9-5. They were studded and I had the same experiences. I really liked the tires in the winter. Being in VT the positives are well worth the negatives.
Do you swap tires on your OEM rims from winter to regular tires or do you have a second set of rims?
I am glad to hear about your experiences THANKS
Pete

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Re: Non exact OEM size

pvittands said:
OEM is 235/65 R 18

Thanks all.
Pete V
Instead, try the Hakka SUV tires in 255/60R18, which is a virtual clone for rolling diameter, etc, resulting in essentially no effect on the speedo/odo. The kicker is the price -- so far, the cheapest I've been told is $292 Cdn + mount & balance + the taxes. Ouch.

·
Registered
177 Posts
thecanuck,,,,,,,,where did you get a price on these hakkas from? I am deciding whether to get snows put on or new all-seasons. I am told that Bridgestone does not make anything 18" in their Blizzak series, and was also recomended the Dunlop Grandtrek. One dealer suggested I go with 17" on new winter rims to give more options, but another told me no way will 17" work, the calipers are too large.
Could anyone who has the Dunlop provide any further comments on their performance?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks senza, I will ask my local Firestone dealer to recheck his availability list. I have found that some tires shown on US retailer sites are not available in Canada, such that some have even gone to the trouble of importing the tires. With other options available this would be too costly and unecessary to me. I researched the Hakka SUV tires "thecanuck' mentioned and the 255/60R18XL is worth looking into. The only problem is their website does not list the specs for this tire (product code T443678). Again, I would love to hear some comments on these tires if anyone has experience with them.Hakkapeliitta

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I have 17s on my MO for winter, and they work fine. 235/65-17 Dean Wintercat (same tire as the Cooper Discovery)

·
Registered
176 Posts
MO in TO said:
thecanuck,,,,,,,,where did you get a price on these hakkas from? I am deciding whether to get snows put on or new all-seasons. I am told that Bridgestone does not make anything 18" in their Blizzak series, and was also recomended the Dunlop Grandtrek. One dealer suggested I go with 17" on new winter rims to give more options, but another told me no way will 17" work, the calipers are too large.
Could anyone who has the Dunlop provide any further comments on their performance?
MO in TO

I emailed these guys:

http://www.carmodifier.com/contactus.htm

It's $292 + mount & balance. However, there's a similar shop here in Kingston and if I recall correctly, I checked earlier this year and he was even cheaper (about $265?). There's also Performance Mazda in Ottawa, and they're asking $321 but that includes mount & balance.

senza's Blizzaks will fit but they're a little too much of a plus-size for me in terms of their effects on the speedo/odo. I'm willing to pay the extra cash (about $50 per tire) to get the Nokians.

ekaxel -- what 17" rims are you running on? I've been told by more than one location that the MO's calipers will not allow 17's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tirerack

If you look at TireRack they offer 17" packages for winters on the Murano. I have always had good luck with their fittings. I am not sure why 17's would not fit. It looks like there is plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
My 17s are a very old set of Dial Concordes. The offset is 25. There is not a lot of clearance, but enough.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Snow Tire made for the Murano

Canuck, and everyone else, thanks for the info here. This is really great to be able to get real life information from MO owners. At this point I think I am leaning towards the Yokohama Geolander H/T-S since it is an excellent snow performer. I am waiting to hear Kris's comments on these newly installed tires in another thread. (He indicated he is getting some installed today).

BTW - In all of my research I just discovered a brand new OEM sized Dunlop snow tire, the Grandtrek WT M3, which differs than the M2 and is specifically made for the Murano! Dunlop does not even have it listed on their site yet. I called Dunlop customer service in Canada and it is a new product, but they do not have a release date for the tire here. It is, for those of you in the US, on the Tirerack.com website here

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a set of 235/65/17 Michelin Pilot Alpins mounted on 17" Mangel Amazon wheels. There is not much clearance for the front wheels, but it's enough to allow seamless balancing.

Got the package at Townfair tires in CT, for about $100 less than a comparable package on Tirerack (install/balancing/taxes included), and cheaper than the 18" Dunlop Grandtrek WT M3 (tire alone).

So far I have been satisfied with them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This may help you bargain a little. My very very good friend owns a tire shop and put 4 Grandtreks (same size as originals) on last winter for me. My cost installed was $135 CDN each and he still was making $15 a tire. :eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts