Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, it has been a while since I've visited the site but I'm back now. I'm also sad to say that today I backed-up into a tree stump that I could not see through my rear-view mirror. Yes, I feel like an idiot! The good news is that it was right at the corner of my rear bumper so it missed my tailight. It didn't scratch the paint but it left a dent on my bumper. I'm tempted to pop it out but I'm afraid that I may damage the paint on the bumper... Any suggestions? Also, I'm having a hard time finding a back-up assist system that doesn't cost a fortune. Any suggestions?

Thanks
DarK

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The bumper has a metal support beam underneath it, so popping the plastic back out might not repair the damage done to the actual "protection" part of the bumper, the metal beam. Best take it to a body shop and have them look at it if you are concerned about safety.

Good luck.

·
Registered
193 Posts
DarkMeth said:
Hello everyone, it has been a while since I've visited the site but I'm back now. I'm also sad to say that today I backed-up into a tree stump that I could not see through my rear-view mirror. Yes, I feel like an idiot! The good news is that it was right at the corner of my rear bumper so it missed my tailight. It didn't scratch the paint but it left a dent on my bumper. I'm tempted to pop it out but I'm afraid that I may damage the paint on the bumper... Any suggestions? Also, I'm having a hard time finding a back-up assist system that doesn't cost a fortune. Any suggestions?

Thanks
DarK
Is the dent small enough for those paintless dent removal service? If so, you should first consult them to see if they can remove them without touching the paint.

I noticed MO doesn't have back-up assist/reverse parking senors that comes as an optional accessory. Anyone feel you will need this option given that you have the rear-view mirror to assist your reversing? In Singapore, due to the very tight car park space, we have to reverse park the car most of the time. If the rear-mirror doesn't work well under low lighting condition, I think I will need to install the reverse parking senors when I get my MO.

·
4,664 Posts
Ouch!

A picture's helpful, if you took one...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Rear Sensors

You can add the Auto Park license frame or if you're really handy, install rear sensors yourself. I've listed some places below, plus there are plenty to search for on eBay.

I installed my own the end of last year. It was fairly easy to do. I've worked on some instructions and pictures, but just haven't quite gotten it finished to post. Maybe later today or tomorrow.

Until then, check out these sites and the
Rear Sensors thread

Sports Imports LTD

SkyMall

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just as a side note, remember that the front and rear bumpers are resin skins over foam blocks.
Paintless dent repairs won't work. They rely on "un-popping" a dent in sheet metal. Once the resin is deformed, there ain't no going back.

Unless you were really hauling (in reverse???) you probably just damaged the bumper and maybe the underlying foam.

Over the past three months, thanks to inattentive drivers, I've had the skins of both front and rear bumpers replaced.

About $650 a pop.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good News!

I just couldn't wait so I took a peak underneath an looked behind the bumper.. No major damage. I took one side of the bumper out, reached back and I was able to pop it back out without further incident. A couple of minor scratches here and there but the good news is that they're not deep and should be easy to cover over... Thanks all for your advice. Also, thanks for the back-up assist options.. Any other suggestions regarding the back-up assists?

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
I second MoDale on the autopark sensor...

Rear Sensors
You can add the Auto Park license frame or if you're really handy, install rear sensors yourself. I've listed some places below, plus there are plenty to search for on eBay.

I installed my own the end of last year. It was fairly easy to do. I've worked on some instructions and pictures, but just haven't quite gotten it finished to post. Maybe later today or tomorrow.
I had this sensor for almost 2 yrs now... and it works fine.
Above all, if you install it yourself, the autopark sensor is really cheap (less than $50).
Or you can go for the bumper rear back up sensor, this you will need body shop to install and total cost can easily go north of $200+

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Yes, I feel like an idiot!

OK, welcome to the club. I was so embarrassed as to what happened to me, I refused to post it. Maybe there are a few more of you now that will come out of the closet and see if you qualify for the "Idiot Club."
Now mine is so sensational that I may name myself as charter member president of the Idiot Club.
About a month ago I was was gassing up the MO. I was distracted as someone was flying around the bank of pumps as I pulled in. I thought he was going to try a 180 degree turn and fly into me but he did not.
Now I exit the MO and gas her up. I'm in the station paying and look out the window to see the Mo is on the move. Damn, someone stealing my MO. I run from the station and see my MO is driver-less and rolling downhill, well, not really a hill just a very slight slope. I had left the keys in the MO and when distracted I shut the car down and somehow left the MO in Drive. Back to the chase, I go tearing out of the station trying to catch the MO as she is moving maybe 4 MPH but it is now 40 feet away. As I catch up to her as she slams her nose into a parked GMC van/truck. I was in disbelief, a bad dream I was sure to snap out of at any moment. Why did the car roll after I gassed it? Why could it have not rolled when I was standing there? I'll never know the answers to that.
So there is the MO and the passenger side lower bumper looked like the Jolly Green Giant punched her just on top of the passenger side fog light There was also a very minor scratch to the grill. I thought I'd slit my wrists at that moment. The guy that I hit was really cool about it. The cop showed for a report and said let me get this straight. A two car accident and nobody was driving either car. Yup officer, that is it.
I went the next day to get the MO fixed. New bumper skin and grill. She looks as good as new as this was a top notch shop. There was obviously nothing damaged but cosmetics and my pride. There you have it, now it's off my chest and you guys can have a laugh as you picture me chasing the driver-less Mo.
I don't think any of you will top this but feel free to add you own mishaps to the list.
Now DarkMeth, you see your not alone in the club.
Bob1

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was bad...

Bob.. .that was pretty bad but I agree i felt like an idiot cause it happend in a parking lot and I backed into a tree trunk that was recently cut down.. pretty bad but yours was pretty amusing..

·
4,664 Posts
"Hi, my name's jaak and I too have had a stupid Murano accident."

"Welcome to the group jaak."

"Well, I already talked about this, but most of you weren't here..."

"Go ahead jaak. It's OK, we're all idiots together."

"OK, well, my Murano was still spanking new, only a couple of months old. I was pulling into the garage, and not paying complete attention when I realised I was a bit close to the wall."

"OK jaak, so what's wrong with that?"

"Well there was a shelf sticking out, that creased the hood."

"And how did that make you feel, jaak."

"I was in a an angry at myself for being so stupid, funk for about three days... "

"It's happened to many of us.."

"Needless to say, that shelf no longer exists!":3:

I walked around the house quietly swearing to myself for about an hour straight when it happened. One of those slow burns...:p

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Amazing, lets see me, Jaak and Darkmeth are the only guys in this club? C'mon people, I just know some of you can join this club. Don't be bashful. look at Jaak's statement. Hi, my name's jaak and I too have had a stupid Murano accident."
See, you feel better when you tell the world. I can even get you a deal for a T-shirt that you can give your wife or husband. You know the one that say's "I'm with Stupid." and has that big index finger pointing to you as you walk hand in hand. Yup, I'll get us a group discount.
Bob1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone, my name is Shiftless and I'm an Idiot!

I only had my Mo for about 2 months, and let the EX drive it in the snow and ice to the store...we decided to help a trucker find his way to a Radio Shack...and being the sweet girl I am....we looked it up on the NAV and helped him out....needless to say as he drove away we went up the curb and he gunned it a little to much and slid off the icy curb and right into the back corner of the trailer...I had a huge gash in the back panel of my MO... :( it was about 3 1/2" long and went right thru the metal into the back corner panel...no pictures were taken, i was too ashamed to take them...glad to know i'm not the only MO abuser around....

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
bob1 said:
Amazing, lets see me, Jaak and Darkmeth are the only guys in this club? C'mon people, I just know some of you can join this club.
There are definitely more of us out there. I talked about mine here :mad:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
There are definitely more of us out there. I talked about mine here

Yes, I remember the story. It may qualify for the club, we will hold a meeting and vote on it. On the other hand Shiftless, yeah baby that is what I'm talkin about. You're in!

Bob1;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
O.K. I'll bite! My Mo was only about 1 week old and like I'd done so many times before, stopped to get the mail at the apt. mail center. Pull up, PLACE IN PARK, jump out and run to grab mail. Come back, go to jump in but lo and behold,the door is now locked,keys inside and car running!javascript:smilie(':eek:') My keys to Apt. and the backup key are locked inside, as is the cell phone.
But alas,I did leave the sunroof open! So being pretty nimble still I decide that I can climb up on the side of the Mo,crawl in the sunroof and trip the lock. Well I'm careful to remove my shoes and socks so as to not damage the paint and throw my toes right up on the sheetmetal directly below the rear window and grab ahold of the convenient roof rack and bound up to the roof portal.No problem.Pop the door latch button and down I go.I look back where I'd placed my toes and the door metal is all wrinkled from my heaving 163 lbs. javascript:smilie(':3:') A call to the dent guy and a few sheckels later and all is well.Well aside from being smoked driving the self damaged car for weeks. Ah the joys of finding out about self locking doors!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Darrell Sheldon said:
O.K. I'll bite! My Mo was only about 1 week old and like I'd done so many times before, stopped to get the mail at the apt. mail center. Pull up, PLACE IN PARK, jump out and run to grab mail. Come back, go to jump in but lo and behold,the door is now locked,keys inside and car running!javascript:smilie(':eek:') My keys to Apt. and the backup key are locked inside, as is the cell phone.
But alas,I did leave the sunroof open! So being pretty nimble still I decide that I can climb up on the side of the Mo,crawl in the sunroof and trip the lock. Well I'm careful to remove my shoes and socks so as to not damage the paint and throw my toes right up on the sheetmetal directly below the rear window and grab ahold of the convenient roof rack and bound up to the roof portal.No problem.Pop the door latch button and down I go.I look back where I'd placed my toes and the door metal is all wrinkled from my heaving 163 lbs. javascript:smilie(':3:') A call to the dent guy and a few sheckels later and all is well.Well aside from being smoked driving the self damaged car for weeks. Ah the joys of finding out about self locking doors!
Good story, thanks Darrell.

That brought back memories of when i use to come home from school and have forgotten my keys that are on my shoe lace and should have been around my neck.... popping a screen out of the house window and in I crawled... or finding a way to lift and slid the back door open. We've all been locked out of somthing I suppose.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Several months after I got my MO, I was loading the car up for a trip to North Carolina. After the second load, I decided to push the button to close the garage door. opps, left the liftgate up. You guessed it, the metal flange that hangs down on top of the door gouged my baby bad. Tried touchup, etc. to little avail. Decided to mask the damage with two small American Flag decals. Now I feel better.

Body shop tried to buff it out, but didn't have much success. Said hide it, or paint the whole liftgate. Took the cheaper of the two options.

Label me Dumbhead, lol.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Again? Not my fault this time!

Ok.. This time I'm driving to work early in the morning when I suddenly find myself behind a Cement truck. BIG MISTAKE! The truck hit a bump and all of this excess gravel started flying out! I heard a couple of thumps and didn't think anything of it. Two weeks later I noticed that my A/C was not cooling any more. I take it to have the alternator recall done and it turns out that a "foreign object" punctured the condensor unit right behind the front bumper. The dealer wants $710 to fix it! I guess I should clarify that it's a pin hole in the condensor unit but their idea of fixing it is replacing the entire unit! Any suggestions? I never thought that a small rock could do such damage..

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Darkmeth. Hey man, that is not your fault. I did learn driving behind a flat bed truck hauling a bulldozer was not a good idea when a rock/pebble hit my window on the 2 week old Altima and cracked it.
You did not hurt your MO, someone else did.
I don't know if that is a high pressure line running through the damaged area. I don't think there is a quick or easy fix for this and you may have to bite the bullet.
BTW, Homer may have a copywrite on that avatar. ;)
Bob1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts