Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this happend the day after my car went in for service. the 15k mile service, first off they forgot to balance my tires like the sign says, however they did rotate them. i told them of the "ticking" and the "window rattleing" as found in other threads and they put in the notes " counld not locate sound, no action taken " so the next day i'm on my way to work in the rain on the interstate, i'm not sure what's wrong with my mo because everytime i'm in rain i feel like i'm driving on ice, and ofcourse the constant alignment change because the dealer can never align it right because of the obvious problem in the steering rack. i switched lanes and lost control spun 3 times across 3 lanes and into the grass and mudd on the side of the road.
my mo was stuck, needless to say, it's fwd, so i waited for AAA, they got there, pulled me out and my murano wouldn't go, it would start and roll, but it wouldn't go, so i'm thinking the trans went bad while i was trying to get out of the mud, so i get it towed to nissan and told them it just stopped, i didn't tell them i slid off the road incase they would try to make me go through my insurance company. at the dealership they said it has sucked in some water and that shuts down the engine so it doesn't damage it and that's all the happend. i've spent so much time in the place *****ing at them about this car. when i picked it up they told me all 4 tires were "feathered" that's why my murano is riding rough, i've been on the phone with nissan's 1 800 # for hrs telling them about the NUMORUS PROBLEMS i'm having weather it be little crap or stuff that makes my car unsafe, i paid $32k for a car that seems to be falling apart. i'm taking it in again soon because of more crap, my visors keep rattling, my driver's side suspension keeps ticking and creeking, my alignment is STILL wrong, my rear hatch door doesn't unlock consistantly and get this... my passenger side power window no long WORKS! sorry for the rant, i'm pissed as hell here and i'm about to get a lawyer and make them give me my $$ back. would i have a case?? i've filed the the bbb and they've sent my case to comsumer something...

/rant

sorry for running on.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
You're MO handles just the opposite of how mine does....

Just this past Friday night I drove through some of the heaviest rainfall I had ever experienced behind the wheel. I went about 30 miles over the PA Turnpike and Parkway into Pittsburgh. It was an absolute washout for most of the venture. I think we had about 5 inches of rain that night. You could have water skied behind me.

I was really impressed with the way this car plowed through the water. I was left laning it the entire way and easily passed just about everything on the road with no problems at all. Even when I hit deep standing water, this machine barely blinked. I even told my wife how impressed I was with the car.

It sounds like your MO has some issues. I don't know if you "have a case" or not, but I'd be as ticked off as you. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Sounds like due to poor alignment, your tires were worn past the point where they are safe to drive in the rain. How fast were you going when you spun out?

I have found the Murano to be exceptionally stable in the rain even with these lousy Goodyears.

The alignment problem should have been addressed with the steering rack bolt TSB.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here's the list i'm giving the service guy so far...

*Window Rattle Dr side
*Alignment inconsistantcy
*Tick & pop noise from dr side front suspension area you can especially hear it when you're right beside a curb.
*Pass side window doesn't work at all up or down
*Rear hatch doesn't unlock sometimes without playing with it
*Often when you let off the gas at low speed like 10mph the car jumps and jitters forward repeatedly.
*Geat Selector piece on the lower part of it is loose ( not that important )
*Popping and creeking from driver's seat
*Passenger side visor doesn't clip in place properly
*Pop and creek in the dash
*Pop and creek from the rear view mirror
*UNK rattle when going over anything that's not freshly paved lol

am i being too picky? this isn't a cheap car.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
MVTCFP said:
You're MO handles just the opposite of how mine does....

Just this past Friday night I drove through some of the heaviest rainfall I had ever experienced behind the wheel. I went about 30 miles over the PA Turnpike and Parkway into Pittsburgh. It was an absolute washout for most of the venture. I think we had about 5 inches of rain that night. You could have water skied behind me.

I was really impressed with the way this car plowed through the water. I was left laning it the entire way and easily passed just about everything on the road with no problems at all. Even when I hit deep standing water, this machine barely blinked. I even told my wife how impressed I was with the car.

It sounds like your MO has some issues. I don't know if you "have a case" or not, but I'd be as ticked off as you. Good Luck.
MVTCFP:
I was on my way to Cleveland when that storm hit and can vouch 100% for you. My great aunt and grandmother were with me and were not worried at all. While everyone else was off on the shoulder with their flashers on we left laned it at about 50 MPH with no issues whatsoever. My great aunt kept asking me about all of the things it did so she could tell all of her friends about it. :)
At one point, the people I was meeting up with (A jeep family) ribbed me about my car not being a jeep and she stood up and told them to shut up because she loved it so much. I also had a half hour MO introductory class outside of a Cleveland hotel when a family decided to bombard me with questions about it. I love this car...despite having some of the issues mentioned below:
*Tick & pop noise from dr side front suspension area you can especially hear it when you're right beside a curb.

The first issue they said that they cant reproduce, but I'll show them. Regardless of the issues, I love this car.

Cheryl, good luck with your issues. Maybe you have a lemon? :3:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I think you may need a new dealer.

"and ofcourse the constant alignment change because the dealer can never align it right because of the obvious problem in the steering rack. "

That's just a bunch of hooey.
There is a TSB to fix the "Obvious problem in the steering rack".

As to the rest, once I find that a service department is incompetent, I move on.

At this point, it sounds like your tires are shot tho.
Partially your fauult as you bear ultimate responsibility. If that dealer couldn't satisfy you by your 7500 mile checkup, driving the car and hoping that things would be better at 15,000 is not going to cut it.
However you need to get the Steering rack fixed (For crying out loud, they just tighten the bolts) and then an alignment and then new tires.
As to whether or not they are responsible for the new tires...........you would be best served by
Forgetting hiring attorneys, etc
Find another dealer.

Or yes,

Pursue the FL lemon laws if you qualify.
You do not, and should not spend the money on an attorney to do this.

To find out if you qualify, go to

http://www.800helpfla.com/lemon_text.html

Homer

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Snow MO said:

MVTCFP:
I was on my way to Cleveland when that storm hit and can vouch 100% for you. My great aunt and grandmother were with me and were not worried at all. While everyone else was off on the shoulder with their flashers on we left laned it at about 50 MPH with no issues whatsoever. My great aunt kept asking me about all of the things it did so she could tell all of her friends about it. :)
At one point, the people I was meeting up with (A jeep family) ribbed me about my car not being a jeep and she stood up and told them to shut up because she loved it so much. I also had a half hour MO introductory class outside of a Cleveland hotel when a family decided to bombard me with questions about it. I love this car...despite having some of the issues mentioned below:

The first issue they said that they cant reproduce, but I'll show them. Regardless of the issues, I love this car.

Cheryl, good luck with your issues. Maybe you have a lemon? :3:
i think i do, i loved it until the alternator left me stranded on an interstate exit ramp. then i got it fixed and i loved it again, then it just started to have all these problems. the only think that worries me about trying to lemon it, is they might claim none of my problems affect the safety of the car, any help?

·
Registered
149 Posts
You might want to edit your post if you want to have a case. You told the service department a different story than what actually happened.

But My MO has performed great in the Rain, Snow, Dirt, Mud, just about anything you throw at it.

And I though FWD were better in rain and snow.

Also how fast were you going? There are limits to how fast you can go in a vehicle when it rains :)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Reading the story again, it seems that if the dealer rotated your tires and did not notice any significant wear (minor uneven wear should not cause you to lose control) then you were probably going too fast for the weather conditions. I assume feathering meaning there was wear due to poor camber (most likely inside wear).

Keep in mind that the loss of control/tire issue is not related to the rattles with the vehicle. I too am disappointed for nearly $35k my Murano isn't as solid as a similar $35k "base" Lexus RX300 (at the time).

And yes, the steering rack TSB (I think I may have mentioned it on my former post) will take care of the alignment issue (they should have tightened the bolt to spec, and performed at least a front wheel alignment if not a four wheel alignment).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was going under the speed limit, but you're making it out to seem like i'm stupid, i know there are limits in the rain, when i'm going 25-30 in the rain and hit the slightest bit of water my car feels like it's ontop of it rather than going through it. the thing is, because they kept telling me they fixed my alignment, i just drove the car, i use it for daily driving so i just took it, come to find out that's what caused my tires to feather is the alignement problem. i believe nissan is responsable for this, they told me it was aligned. i would like a new murano that works, like all you guys have. :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Never said you were stupid, just know some members on here like to push the MO a little hard and get upset when it doesn't perform :(

Just take it to a trustful mechanic and have them check it out and even write out a report of what they found wrong. Take it to the Nissan dealer and show them what needs to be fixed.

You can even take it to another service center, they always like to get new customers from competitors.

GL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i know that the rattles don't have anything to do with it, i was just venting. does anyone else's car jump forward over and over when letting off the gas going like 10-15 mph ? i noticed this because i kept driving around neighborhoods in the area looking at houses for sale... otherwise it only does it rarely when coming to a red light.
i know this too has nothing to do with me loosing control...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I am sorry if my reply seemed overly "lecturing." My intention was to help you prepare an organized case to the dealer to help resolve your problems. Yes it is disappointing when the dealer does not look up TSBs for repairs.

Your reply states that you hydroplaned at 30mph. If you were going faster than that during rainy weather, it does not surprise me the tires may have had little traction left to prevent your Murano from spinning out. I am sorry to hear of your accident, but I am just pointing out here that the Murano is not invincible.

Good luck with your dealer. Best to try to get this resolved by arbitration with Nissan Consumer Affairs if possible.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
yes, mine does a surge at the end of braking, I figured it was something with the CVT like uncoupling from it at a certain speed via the TC. I got used to it though.
:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 04 SE AWD also duz some thing about 10 mph. it though it waz the torque converter unlocking .Because mine duz it every time i comr to a stop.

Loggerdude
04 SE AWD pewter

·
4,601 Posts
I agree with Homer, your dealer's an idiot. (I'm paraphrasing, of course...)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i think both of our dealers should go up for idiot awards. i'm having the same problem with my dealer but they seem to get things fixed. the probelmis, they always end up breakin gor missing or wrecking something else int he process. your tires... defenitely done. we had the same problem. it's b/c the murano came with bad alignment b.c they over tightened it when they put it on the transport truck. nissan supplied us wiht new tires and redid the alignmant and balancing. now they're fine but they are sure getting loud. damn goodyear crap. our mo is fine now in the rain but it used to go all over the place. still horrible in the snow even with the new tires. i hope everything goes well at the dealership. and it's a good thing that you filled a complaint to the bbb. maybe they'll do something about it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Cheryls MO said:
does anyone else's car jump forward over and over when letting off the gas going like 10-15 mph ? i noticed this because i kept driving around neighborhoods in the area looking at houses for sale... otherwise it only does it rarely when coming to a red light.
i know this too has nothing to do with me loosing control...
Now that's an issue. I have never experienced any lurching or jumping.

Is it just Cheryl & Loggerdude? Or do others experience this??

BTW Cheryl, No one here thinks your stupid. Please don't take inquiries as insults. Believe me, we're just trying to assemble the data to best help you put together a logical case. We're on your side.

·
4,601 Posts
I guess it depends what you mean by "jumps forward". I've notice when letting off the gas, under certain conditions, that the CVT changes ratios and there seems to be a short torque multiplication that gives the feeling of a bit of a surge forward.

One of the observations I've made with the CVT, is that it has it's own unique characteristics. If we all drove CVTs then went to conventional Automatic transmissions, then we'd be asking questions about their characteristics.

I've retrained my brain to accept this occasional surge, as normal as it's not severe, but noticable if you're paying attention.

If this is what you are experiencing, I wouldn't be concerned. If it's severe then you need to have a chat with your dealer. Hopefully someone there that's intelligent. Seems like some of us are having a tough time finding intelligent dealers... I feel blessed. Mine can read shop manuals, paid attention in training, and seems to know what they're doing.;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Vehicle Control in the rain

I drive my MO at speeds in excess of 100km's/hr in the rain with no problems. Actually, besides the MO window rattle, fixed by the way, my machine at 30 Km's is great with no complaints.

This vehicle handles great in all conditions, and I live in Canada, so I see it all!!:2: :2:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts