Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left work today and some guy in an Lexus IS300 decided to try to "snake" my lane. Normally I don't contest these things, but this guy wedged himself into the Bike Lane! When the light turned green, I gunned it (Ds of course!) and so did he. I am happy to report that I not only out-accelerated him to 40 mph but from 40-60 mph he couldn't gain on me at all. (Bear in mind that he's still running in the bike lane this whole time.) It was a nice feeling to be able to hold him off and, as the bike lane ran out, he had to merge in behind me!

I love my MO!!!

Bob K.

P.S. I don't condone street racing and I this is an extremely rare occassion for me! Besides, at 3013 miles, the MO wanted to finally stretch its legs a bit! I guess break-in is pretty well done!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
rtking said:
I left work today and some guy in an Lexus IS300 decided to try to "snake" my lane. Normally I don't contest these things, but this guy wedged himself into the Bike Lane! When the light turned green, I gunned it (Ds of course!) and so did he. I am happy to report that I not only out-accelerated him to 40 mph but from 40-60 mph he couldn't gain on me at all. (Bear in mind that he's still running in the bike lane this whole time.) It was a nice feeling to be able to hold him off and, as the bike lane ran out, he had to merge in behind me!

I love my MO!!!

Bob K.

P.S. I don't condone street racing and I this is an extremely rare occassion for me! Besides, at 3013 miles, the MO wanted to finally stretch its legs a bit! I guess break-in is pretty well done!
Yeah, I take it the IS300 was just a casualty of you "testing out" your MO after the break in period. :D You weren't really trying to "race" him...hehe

It took me a while to get used to the sluggish takeoffs of the CVT, but I slowly learned to appreciate how power builds constantly and seamlessly, giving better overall acceleration.
 

·
NO-MO-SNOW
Joined
·
891 Posts
I don't normally condone street racing either, but since you are going to get an Elise! :29: Good Kill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
I was in a similar situation with a Ford Explorer. The driver cut my lane sharp before the signal turned red. I moved in to the next lane and stopped next to him. The signal turned green and I just gave my Murano a little pat on the gas pedal and the driver in that cardboard box next to me could not match the MO's accelaration and I didn't even rev it up beyond 2500 RPM.

He followed me through for the next 1 mile or so before he made a right into the Nissan dealership.

I made the last line up :2: The rest is true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Low Gear Works

I have to back track on what I have said about the Low setting being only for "granny low" braking purposes.

Next time you want some major jump of the line drop it in to Low then shift to Ds (Delight Speed) shortly after take off. Low produces a 1000 to 1500 rpm gain over Ds and put the Mo into peak hossey range immediately and the drop into Ds seems to produce a slight surge as flywheel inertia gets dumped on the road by the ratio change on the CVT while the rpms drop but stay within the peak range.

I am pretty sure the boys doing the testing are not using this technique which I think would result in quicker acceleration test times and will smoke most regular auto trans or standards even if they were packing a bit more horsepower. The Mo has it all on the road and is sticky in twenty feet anything that hard shifts at peak will loose wheel horsepower on the shift and traction afterward.

Comments?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,257 Posts
I can assure you that Car and Driver did everything that was necessary including preloading the Tranny. Did you try that?

Homer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Too much of a give away. I like to sit there looking calm when I it looks like someone wants to go ....then kick it and watch them in the mirror.


Plus that has got to be tough on parts and even though it would be on warranty I need my wheels.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
hfelknor said:
I can assure you that Car and Driver did everything that was necessary including preloading the Tranny. Did you try that?

Homer
I would not recommend brake torquing with the CVT. Given that we already know the CVT is very sensitive to temperature issues, loading up the torque converter would not be a good idea for transmission longevity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with EricL and Eager... I've burned up too many transmissions that way. In my younger (and more careless) days, I used to torque-brake the transmissions to get that extra edge. But 3 rebuilt TH-350s ina 1978 Chevrolet Caprice, one rebuilt FMX in a 1970 Ford Mustang Mach One, a rebuilt AOD in a 1989 Thunderbird Super Coupe, and an auto-tranny in a 1985 Honda Accord have taught me a valuable (and expensive) lesson.

I think the CVT in our MOs might take a few torque-brake maneuvers, but I want to make sure I don't make it a habit even though I have the extended warranty. The right foot going straight to the floorboard has suddenly become a habit after yesterday's experience! :p I.... must... resist..... AAAUUGHHHH!!!! ;)

Bob K.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts
Any car that shifts hard enough to break traction is going to smoke the Murano.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Re: Low Gear Works

I like the idea of starting in low, then shifting up to Ds and then up to D.

Of course not doing this always but do you think there is harm in this auto-stick type of shifting?


eager said:
I have to back track on what I have said about the Low setting being only for "granny low" braking purposes.

Next time you want some major jump of the line drop it in to Low then shift to Ds (Delight Speed) shortly after take off. Low produces a 1000 to 1500 rpm gain over Ds and put the Mo into peak hossey range immediately and the drop into Ds seems to produce a slight surge as flywheel inertia gets dumped on the road by the ratio change on the CVT while the rpms drop but stay within the peak range.

I am pretty sure the boys doing the testing are not using this technique which I think would result in quicker acceleration test times and will smoke most regular auto trans or standards even if they were packing a bit more horsepower. The Mo has it all on the road and is sticky in twenty feet anything that hard shifts at peak will loose wheel horsepower on the shift and traction afterward.

Comments?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
Even under a floored gas pedal, the "shifts" create no perceptable "shift shock" in my Murano doing the same thing.

I don't think you going to hurt anything since your not actually shifting anything, just changing the computer programmed ratios.

I regularly start in L, shift to Ds and then D (all with the TCS and auto air off for the best acceleration) for a real quick start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I routinely drive the MO fast, shifting from L-D along the way. As I see it the tranny is using those 'gears' anyways and putting it into a higher RPM range that's already electronically limited can not do anything that leaving it in D and punching the accelerator cannot do(and no shift shock). And I get to make the decision myself as I watch the RPM gauge near redline so I get peak power(no cutoff). I get great acceleration and I sincerely doubt I'm going to do anything damaging to it as it has so many built in electronic limiters that you'd have to be using a mod chip to get it out of whack. Any other auto-shift functions just like this method, allowing you to bump up(or down) in ranges to get the best acceleration. Keep in mind most factory programmed electronic controls are meant to boost gas mileage, not performance. That's why mod chip makers have so much room to tweak performance. Automakers are trying to get the best MPG numbers, not 0-60 times. I would not consider any mod chip for the Murano however as the consensus is that the tranny(at least for now) may have been stretched to the current limits regarding max HP. My understanding is that the CVT underwent significant development to handle the MO's HP but I'm certain the breaking point is still somewhat higher. See the article below for mention of Nissan's heavier duty CVT which unfortunately gets cold feet in the US however. Just think what they could do with the 350's HP in the MO's engine compartment. You could catch the Infiniti, BMW, etc. but definitely not a AMG Merc...I imagine 155 in an SUV is a rush... One thing though: the A/C seems to crimp it's punch and that's on most of the time in FL, time for a separate electrically driven A/C I think...

See: http://caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=1779&page_number=1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
Car and Driver

I like car and drivers synopsis . Their quote on the Murano:
The Verdict: A great truck for the car nut who needs an 82-cubic-foot trunk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Sounds like some Mo'rs should have gotten the 04 SE with autostick! ;) Seriously, I can't wait until the break in is over so that I can really see what the Mo can do. So far, I've kept it under 4K RPMs and not accelerated rapidly (except once to avoid being rear ended by a crazy Explorer driver - figured avoiding a crash was worth the price of a one time jab at the accelerator).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
Jim C

How many miles do you have on your Mo? After I got to @1200 I started easing into lead foot mode. It is very hard to contain yourself for the break in period but I tried, except for when absolutely necessary, I kept it below 4k as well and varied the RPM's everyday on the way to and from work.
 

·
SHIFT_FASTER
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
Re: Low Gear Works

eager said:
I have to back track on what I have said about the Low setting being only for "granny low" braking purposes.

Next time you want some major jump of the line drop it in to Low then shift to Ds (Delight Speed) shortly after take off. Low produces a 1000 to 1500 rpm gain over Ds and put the Mo into peak hossey range immediately and the drop into Ds seems to produce a slight surge as flywheel inertia gets dumped on the road by the ratio change on the CVT while the rpms drop but stay within the peak range.

I am pretty sure the boys doing the testing are not using this technique which I think would result in quicker acceleration test times and will smoke most regular auto trans or standards even if they were packing a bit more horsepower. The Mo has it all on the road and is sticky in twenty feet anything that hard shifts at peak will loose wheel horsepower on the shift and traction afterward.

Comments?
I agree. I'm working on my acceleration methods, trying out everything I can think of (other than loading the tranny).

Consider this:
The max power made by the engine is the torque peak.
The horsepower figure is more important with "traditional" transmissions. This is because you can't stay at one rpm, so you need to maximize the amount of torque produced during a given gear (the area under the curve). Ideally in a "traditional" tranny, you start the next gear before the torque peak, then shift after the torque peak.

With the CVT however, this all changes. Try this sometime: just floor it from a light, in D. Note the "butt dyno" feel of acceleration. Now try this: floor it from a light, but when you reach 4600 RPMs (torque peak), try to hold it there. It's not easy, because the engine has so much more power there, that the revs jump really fast. Once you can hold it there, you get much, much better acceleration than just flooring it.

Now, the second part. Launching in Ds or L will give a faster initial response. I notice lag in flooring it in D, but not in the other two. I'm trying to use Ds for launch, and then when reaching somewhere around the torque peak, shifting to D and trying to hold the RPMS around 4600. Once I perfect this, I'll go to the track and get a timeslip.
 

·
SHIFT_FASTER
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
Examples:

The engine torque output during 3 gears in a "traditional" tranny:
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top