Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
My dealer is trying to sell me the Silver prefered 0 deductible 72/100000 maintenance plan for $1000.00. I would like anyone's opinion on these plans good or bad. Originally, I was quoted about 1200 for this plan. Because it's the end of the month an supposedly Nissan is raising the prices April 1st, he is offering this deal. My mind is telling me to run away (I've never really bought into extended service plans), but my gut is saying it would feel nice to know all major parts would be covered for 100,000 miles. My wife and I tend to keep cars that long. So what does everyone think. I know the gold plan is better, but the hoses and other little items which aren't include in the silver prefered plan don't seem like big deals (I have the complete break down of what is covered in both plans.)

·
Registered
100 Posts
In my opinion, if you're going to keep the car that long, than it's worth it. You should also consider how long you'll be paying the MO off for. If you've paying for 5 years, it would be nice to know it's covered for the entire length of the loan.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree...but it seems to me I have 5 year /60,000 mile drivetrain coverage. I know it doesn't cover all the electronics or suspension. I know it's a gamble. What is everyone else paying for these extended plans?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got an email price of $900 from a different dealer. Any of you who have had nissans with extended coverage, would you say it was worth it?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
When you said maintenance plan, do you mean an extended warranty, or is it a dealer service contract? I would not pay for prepaid maintenance simply because a lot of the work I can do myself at in my own garage. But if its for the extended warranty, you need to ask yourself whether $1000 for an extra 1 yr and 40,000 miles coverage is necessary.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All the information I read on extended warrantees is that they are not worth the dollars you pay. If I was buying a Ford, GM, or Chrysler, I would give it more consideration.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe you will be able to purchase the extended warranty as long as the original warranty hasn't expired (although you should double check this).

It might be helpful, because you never know if you may sell your MO due to who-knows-what.

Also, the price they quote you is negotiable to an extent. Dealer's usually start high. Besides, if I were to buy one, I'd rather buy it directly from Nissan and put the money (i.e. profit) in their hands as opposed to just giving it to the dealer.

Also, Warranties are always a money-maker, and they are never a good investment in terms of the "big picture". However, that doesn't mean you positively shouldn't get it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How would I go about purchasing it directly from Nissan? I thought you had to go through a dealer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
strafaci said:
I believe you will be able to purchase the extended warranty as long as the original warranty hasn't expired (although you should double check this).
You can purchase an extended warranty as long as the original hasn't expired but if you don't get it when you initially purchase the vehicle there is a surcharge applied. There is nothing small about the surcharge, particularly if you wait until just before your regular warranty expires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use Geico for my insurace. They offer an extended warranty option that is billed every six months. I think it was around $75 every six months. I believe this can be applied to the car any time during its existing warranty period.

So I'm waiting until I get close to my 3/36 and then I'll get this for however long I keep the car. Seems like the best alternative to me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dealer told me there is no surcharge as long as you purchase the warranty within 12 months or 12,000 miles. After that there would be a $70 surcharge from Nissan (not to mention the yearly price increases)

·
4,664 Posts
jasondeno said:
I use Geico for my insurace. They offer an extended warranty option that is billed every six months. I think it was around $75 every six months. I believe this can be applied to the car any time during its existing warranty period.

So I'm waiting until I get close to my 3/36 and then I'll get this for however long I keep the car. Seems like the best alternative to me.
Wow, that sounds like a good plan.... I wonder what the coverage is like.

·
Registered
24 Posts
They sent me a flyer on it and I honestly didn't read it. I went to their website just now and didn't see it. I'd call them (800-861-8380).

You may have to get their auto insurance to get the warranty. But I find their rates to be great and I've always been treated well. I've been with them for over five years. One time when I got rear ended, they immediatly send out an inspector and even called me back to see how things went with the repairs!

When I called to insure my MO about a month ago, THEY told ME about it. I had some concerns about the CVT (real or imagined) and wanted to make sure it didn't blow out on me. Since then, I haven't called them back on it since they said I could get it at any point during my warranty. I didn't see why I should start paying for it until I get closer to 36,000.

They encouraged me to read over the materials so that I understood the warranty completly. Ya, I didn't do that. I just drove my new MO around! But when I get serious abot the exnteded warranty again, I'll read up.

·
MOtivated!
50 Posts
I just dropped $950 on my '00 Maxima (56k miles) for work that otherwise would have been covered by an extended warranty (O^2 sensor, and some harness thing that connects the spark plugs to make them fire in the right order - yes, I'm female). That got me peaved and I will certainly purchase an extended warranty with my Mo, when I get it. I am assuming I will be hanging on to it for a while.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was cleaning the house this weekend and I found the flyer!

What I found out really confused me as to why I would ever have been selected by Geico.

First, you have to be the original owner. I'm not
Second, you have to get it while its still the current model. I don't think my '03 MO would qualify for that either.
Third, you ahve to have less than 10,000 miles on the car. Specifically NOT what the person told me on the phone.

I guess you can file this in the 'too good to be true' folder.

Unless you're an '04 MO owner, I humbly apologize.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Doitfun - not saying the dealer service station ripped you off - but as someone who works with emissions issues, I'm wondering if the parts you mention shouldn't have been covered by a warranty. EPA requires that new car manufacturers cover "criticial emission related components" for the full useful life of the vehicles (10yrs/120K miles or something to that effect). If I recall, the 02 sensor may be one of those components. In any event, you should check the Maxima's owner's manual or warranty booklet to see what it says.

As for extended warranties, most "experts" in consumer products organizations (e.g., Consumers Union - publishers of Consumer Reports) note that the extended warranties aren't worth the cost. Chances are you won't need it. If you must have something like that, check out "service plans," "extended warranties," or similar plans from dealers, your insurance company, or even your local mechanic. Chances are you can find cheaper ones. Most plans are basically agreements for service in advance. The gamble is if you don't need it, you've already paid out, but if you do, it can help. Also READ THE FINE PRINT. The agreements are FULL of FINE PRINT excluding lots of categories of service. For example, "wear items" are generally not covered. Such items can include the obvious (light bulbs, tires, brake pads) to the not so obvious (fuel injectors, distributors, etc.).

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
IMO it's not really a "tossup" tho that is what you might think if you looked at my history of Extended warranties.

97 Chrysler - NO (They had auto trans problems that were mostly fixed by 97) Came out WAY ahead. No problems.

89 Mustang - NO They had some niggling problems , but nothing serious. Came out WAY ahead. NO problems.

1993 Jaguar- YES THey were a bit better in 93 due to Ford's influence, but they were still a Jaguar. The new steering rack alone would have cost more than the policy (Thru Warranty gold) did.
Glad I had the warranty.

2003 Murano YES - there is no one who can say for sure what will happen with the CVT between the 5th year and the 7th year when I will trade it. (The CVT is covered for 5 yrs. DON'T buy an extended warranty for this reason if you normally trade every 5 years or less.)
Hopefully I won't need it, but I was very concerned about the CVT.

This is just my experience and my opinion.
You cannot be "wrong" no matter which way you go.

Homer

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Homer,

I generally keep my vehicles 4-5 years and I don't drive but about 8,000 miles a year. I should know by the third year how reliable the Mo is.

I got the extended warranty with the Xterra and haven't needed it. The Mo will be my third Nissan. The first two were reliable and I'm hoping the Mo will be, too.

Heck, I'd planned to keep the Xterra until my dogs are gone, which is probably another couple of years. If I hadn't stumbled across the nearby Mo with the right options then found out that I could get one at a reasonable price and gotten a buyer for the Xterra without even trying, I'd be keeping the Xterra and not getting a new vehicle at all. The Mo is the only vehicle that interests me right now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts